28 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 10:21 AM

Ok, So I called last week to the heating oil company my family has used for 30+ years.  Grandparents, parents, and entire family has used them for many years.  Always had the best prices and BEST service.  They would bend over backwards when we called to get us what we need when we need it. 

I called last week, down to a 1/4 tank.  I called the normal number it redirects me to a call center!  I was confused, but the woman confirmed they had bought our local farm supply co-op and we taking orders out of this call center.  Odd, but ok, I need 200 gallons delivered in the next few days.  Sure thing sir, we will have it there.  I assumed it was delivered as they deliver and mail me the bill.

I went home last night to do the water heater, I walk back to see what the 200 gallons put my gauge at, and well guess what I am at an 1/8 tank!  Not much.  So I call the people this morning, and say where is my oil?  Oh we are way backed up and can't get to you right now, it will be next week!  Her suggestion was I go fill up 5 gallon cans at the gas station and put them in my tank. 

I hung up the phone, called my wifes grandmother who uses them frequently for their business.  She gave me the cell number for the guy who dispatches the trucks out of location we always used.  Called him and he said he will get me on the schedule today, and he commented that the new owners are going to destroy their business with their lack of customer support and general caring. 

What happened?  I don't understand when caring for your customers got put on the back burner and no one cares about their customers.  I hate it.

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Alc and 12 others have said thanks

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 10:24 AM

Nobody cares anymore. The whole country has gone that way.

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Bruce Dorsi and 10 others have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 10:28 AM

Nobody cares anymore. The whole country has gone that way.

That is so true :(

I cant even get the New hired USPS man to take my parcels out of the mailbox when the flag is up! Just puts the new mail in with the stuff I want shipped out!

• grnspot110, Texas Deere and Horse, Bruce Dorsi and 6 others have said thanks

#4 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 10:36 AM

There is quite a few companies that I deal with regularly that are way more expensive but have excellent customer service. 

Youngstown Glove Company is a excellent company. I bought a new pair of work gloves (cost 27.00 dollars) and I used them for 2 hours and the threads came out of the pointer finger. I called them and 2 days later had a brand new pair in the mail. 

Customers are expendable to business' today. Most companies don't care how they make a dollar money as long as the big CEOs get their paycheck every week. 

If anyone wants a prime example watch Undercover Boss: Peavey.

Edited by SearsYellow, February 18, 2015 - 10:39 AM.

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 10:37 AM

Welcome to the new century.  These large corporations buy up these smaller ones and they don't care a thing about customer service.  It is all about the bottom line and how much bonus is that CEO going to make.  If you complain then you get what several customers got a derogatory name on their bill.  Yet on the TV they want you to believe they have the best CS on the planet. I best shut my mouth this is one of my pet peeves!

• Alc, jms180, Bruce Dorsi and 10 others have said thanks

#6 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • Member No: 66603
  • 623 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 11:08 AM

I have found that in general the population has gone away from the servants attitude. Its all about me me me. People have forgotten that a humble attitude with a pentane for sharing or giving means we all come out ahead. Instead we have people from corporate heads to kids with there hand out for one reason or another. Best I stop here and share HDWildBills thought.

• jms180, Bruce Dorsi, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#7 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 11:13 AM

I long for the old days of no phone and air conditioning

people sat on their front porch and talked to their neighbors.

if you wanted or needed to talk to somebody - I drove or walked to talk to them

people had time for you back then

• Bolens 1000, Alc, jms180 and 8 others have said thanks

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 11:20 AM

I long for the old days of no phone and air conditioning

people sat on their front porch and talked to their neighbors.

if you wanted or needed to talk to somebody - I drove or walked to talk to them

people had time for you back then

Amen to that!

• hamman, lyall, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 11:21 AM

In the throw away society we live in today we don't need customer service just go buy another one, that's the plan . Just went the other day with my son to pick up a new fridge, his old one was four years old..... four years !! I have had refridgerators last for 12 years. I'm afraid to ask what's next, but it won't be customer service.

• grnspot110, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 11:28 AM

Our local Walmart's Manager used to spend round $20,000 a year buying his customers kids at the Co. 4H Youth Show. He got promoted last year right before the 2014 show and helped the new Manager get into the buying to support the kids. This year he cut back by about 75%. I called the old Manager who is also a good friend of mine to find out what was up. H informed he that the money that he spent every year came out of him Year End Bonus, but he said that his store had continuously improved in sale since he first started buying at the show. He said that what he spent was well worth what he got back because of it and he was helping over 200 kids out with money to put towards their college education. I know there are a lot of folks that are now every upset with the new manager and have stopping shopping at his store.

• Alc, hamman, wvbuzzmaster and 6 others have said thanks

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 11:56 AM

We live in a I don't care give me all I can get for nothing society. We are loosing the joy, the hand shake or the pat on the back that I care relationships we once had with people. I don't have to know a person personally to give them that because I came from a different era where caring for each other was taught. 

I'm fortunate as a contractor to have an old lumber yard that has been around since the late 1800's. I pay a little more for stuff but I get treated like I'm a human not a number or machine. If I have a problem they take care of me no matter if it's a truck load sale or I walk out with one board.

• grnspot110, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 6 others have said thanks

#12 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 12:30 PM

I had kind of had the opposite happen to me. I had a problem with my oil furnace and called the guy who used to service it. They told me since I didn't buy heating oil from them they would not service my furnace! They must not need the business. Now they won't get any of my business or anyone I know.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 12:30 PM

I can vent for days about this subject. And when I can control my potty mouth, I probably will.
Suffice it to say, I see both sides everyday.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, wvbuzzmaster, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 01:18 PM

To a smaller extent it has always been a problem. There were and are allways people that accept whatever they are told and sold. Those type of customers reward the businesses that don't meet reasonable standards of customer service. Weeding out the "trouble makers" just makes sense to them.

The problem has gotten much worse in the last 50 years. I think that one of the worst offenders in this is our education system. Kids are graduating high school that can not really read, nor do math. The kids are taught to pass the tests but not to actually think ahead and be ready for their future. They have to figure that out for themselves. It is all part of the "dumbing down of America". Opening our borders more and having a majority of the population gullible makes it easy for the politicians to do what they want.

As far as the service from companies, I have tried to do as much for myself as I can. When I can't, I try to use small local companies. Most of them understand that their superior service makes their product worth more(and in most cases a much better deal). Burning wood, repairing cars and tractors and working  on the house myself, gives me a lot of independance from the deterriorating state of our society. I'm going back to snow removal from my roof. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 18, 2015 - 01:19 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#15 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 01:31 PM

Not just local company's, how about the service calls that go to Thaisland or India and you can't understand half of what the service rep is saying anyway?  Big company's don't even have to BE the service for their product, most farm that out anymore. Hate it especially when sounds like they are reading from the sales manual with generic written questions and answers out of a book. They don't really know the product, but just how to ask the "right" questions, in order of course.

• grnspot110, IamSherwood, HDWildBill and 5 others have said thanks