10 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 11:06 PM

Kohler 25-757-01 (s) and 25-757-02 (s)

there is overlap in what these claim to fit, are they interchangeable?

I have 4 of these apart freshly boiled out  ready to go back together   and #5 is the one on my KT 19 on the Ariens still to be done.   so I need to get some kits....

I have seen reference on the ones on Ebay pointing to the inlet needle's seat, some say "no tit" with a hand drawn pic of a seat, but what they are meaning is not clear. Tit where?

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,210 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 09:14 AM

Although they look the same they are not, the seats are different

Both are pretty common and stocked by most dealers, I have what models the kits fit listed in my store pages

https://bolenspartsa...ir-kit-k90-301/

https://bolenspartsa...301-582-m12-20/

• Texas Deere and Horse, sacsr, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 06:17 PM

they look the same and both list fitting a K301.

• superaben said thank you

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 09:04 PM

they look the same and both list fitting a K301.

eBay has confused the whole world on these kits.  Most guys post the same picture of each one.  :wallbanging:

The difference (like Brian said) is the needle seats. The 01 kit uses a seat that you remove and install with a flathead screwdriver.  The 02 kit uses a socket (thin wall 7/16).

Any carb with the Carter name in it would have originally come with the 01 it, the flathead screwdriver seat.  So would the small bowl Kohler made Carters, for the late model K91 through the K181.  The 02 kit was introduced on the largest carburetors.  All late model K series above 8hp (K181) would have had it, and all twin K series carbs would have come with that kit. 

The small bowl carburetors (carb numbers 16, 18, 20 ,22) have to use the 01 kit with the screwdriver seat, because there is no clearance for a socket.

Large bowl carburetors (carb numbers 26 and 30) originally probably came with the 02 kit, but can use either one with success.

Like Brian said, all good Kohler dealers will stock the kits.  If not, they will stock the 01 kit. 

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 06:34 PM

I have 4 Kohler built carbs apart right now  (2) 8HP carbs (no number in the carb throat on either one)  and (2) #30  carbs off of my M12s   NONE are Walbro,  they all look like the old Carters but just don't "say" carter on them.  All took a thinwall 3/8" socket to remove the seats. but yeah it was "tight", getting a socket in on them.

I threw away a Walbro 8HP that was so oxidized it looked like it had been dredged from the bottom of the river after 20 years.

one of these 8HP carbs, will replace that oxidized one on this M8 that I have here....

None had the screwdriver slot style seat though now that you mention it, I do remember having worked on a few of those in the past.

I ordered some bronze sleeve bushings from Mc Master Carr (CHEAP!), for the #30s  the  8HP ones have a lil skinnier throttle shaft, I have the repair bushings and 2 new throttle shafts for those coming from Brian Miller.

I am having my son take the #30's one a time to work and mill them for the new throttle shaft bushings on the Bridgeport. (he can sneak them into work in his lunchbox that way ha ha) the bushings I got are 1/4" ID x5/16 OD, 3/4" long.  Got 10 of them for like $7.

3 of these, I have an immediate use for (1 8HP and 2, #30, that I listed above)  and the other 8HP one for now will be a "ready spare"

I then want to pull the carb from the KT 19 that is on my Ariens and boil that one out.. it runs fine at speed, but something's plugged on the idle side as the mixture screw does absolutely nothing to change how the engine runs.

Anyways that's 5 carbs, I was gonna order the "shop pack" from Pat's Small engine,   the #01s are $31 the #02s are $38.  may get a couple of those packs when I order, as shipping is the same.  I work on enough of them that I'll probably go thru another 4-5 in a year....  

so then it seems like I can use the "02" on all of these carbs

Edited by dodge trucker, February 19, 2015 - 06:36 PM.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,210 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 06:44 PM

Yep, they do get confusing!

The manufactures even use the same stock pictures in their catalogs now :wallbanging:

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 06:45 PM

eBay has confused the whole world on these kits.  Most guys post the same picture of each one.  :wallbanging:

The difference (like Brian said) is the needle seats. The 01 kit uses a seat that you remove and install with a flathead screwdriver.  The 02 kit uses a socket (thin wall 7/16).

Any carb with the Carter name in it would have originally come with the 01 it, the flathead screwdriver seat.  So would the small bowl Kohler made Carters, for the late model K91 through the K181.  The 02 kit was introduced on the largest carburetors.  All late model K series above 8hp (K181) would have had it, and all twin K series carbs would have come with that kit. 

The small bowl carburetors (carb numbers 16, 18, 20 ,22) have to use the 01 kit with the screwdriver seat, because there is no clearance for a socket.

Large bowl carburetors (carb numbers 26 and 30) originally probably came with the 02 kit, but can use either one with success.

Like Brian said, all good Kohler dealers will stock the kits.  If not, they will stock the 01 kit. 

Ben W.

Thanks for explaining that, Ben!

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 08:13 PM

Your 8 HP Magnum carb is probably a newer Kohler.  They dropped the Carter name off of them when the dies were remade. 

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 06:42 PM

the 2, 8HP carbs I have are both older than the Magnum series of engines.  the original from that engine had to be scrapped.

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 10:45 PM

the 2, 8HP carbs I have are both older than the Magnum series of engines.  the original from that engine had to be scrapped.

If the original Magnum carb was a Walbro non adjustable, it is better scrapped.  I hate those things.  They have to be perfectly clean or they are no good to anyone.

Ben W.

• Cat385B said thank you

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 09:34 AM

I have not had that bad of "luck" with those Walbro carbs. No matter the brand, my biggest carb issues are with non adjustable ones.

The one carb that I scrapped, did run when I got it, it was on the M8 I have/ which  was bought from a swap meet. I just set about "going thru the maintenance" on that engine, the carb looked dirty on the outside so I figured the inside might be too. This engine WAS to go onto my Troy Bilt Horse, which was stolen from me before I got around to the engine  swap. so I just left that engine under the bench and forgot about it for a while.

So, I went to clean out the carb  and I had it do something that I never had a carb do to me

(not to this extent anyway) -- I pulled it out of the dip and it started to oxidize on me within a day. Threw it back in, came out ok, and it did the same thing only worse. Repeat, came out clean, oxidized worse again after sitting on the bench. Each time I dunked it, it came out a little less clean, as in less of the oxidation was removed in the soak each time. I soaked it and rinsed it 4 or 5 times before giving up on it, that carb I cleaned in a bucket of berryman's, each time.

It has been sitting a few months since then, and it oxidized so bad that the shafts seized up solid... I went to put it together and gave up on it,  This carb has been sitting in my dry garage the whole time. Like I said above in this thread, it looks like it was dredged from the bottom of the river. so it is absolutely no good now.

I was gonna steal the throttle shaft from it that's why I'd kept it/ but it was seized so tight that it became a lost cause. I just ordered new throttle shafts for both of the 8HP carbs that I have, a few days ago from Brian Miller.  Incidentally both of these carbs came out looking new. One of them had a little oxidation on the last 1/2" of the "stem", the part the main nozzle and the bowl nut screws into, that carb started out as one of the nastiest, varnished up carbs, that I have ever tried to revive.  I have a brand new can of dip, I got the GUNK stuff this time, which did not do much by itself, (it is badly weakened from its heyday, thanks EPA)  I did the carb a que in boiling lemon juice to start, then finished in the dip.

Probably should have done it in the opposite order but did not have the can of dip yet when I boiled it. I do not think either process by itself would have been enough for that carb.

The "Mac's" brand carried by NAPA used to be the best carb dip available, have not used that in years, I went by NAPA to see if they still had that stuff, they still sell it but were out of stock, so my buddy there ordered some for stock and is holding one for me. I'm headed out to pick that up today. have no carbs that need dipped at the moment, but at least I'll have it for the next time.

I think it's time to see about getting one of those ultrasonic thing a ma bob's.

One of the #30's I just cleaned is slightly oxidized since being cleaned but nowhere near as bad as that original M8 one did, and this #30 does not seem to be getting any worse.  That is the one going on this newly rebuilt M12 that I have,  the original carb from that engine will become the spare for my other M12, the one on my Woods ZTR.