#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 09:59 PM

Just got a Note 4 today, came to door from phone order. Usually have the stores fix me up with phones and x-fer info and such so might be lost for awhile. Sure is hard to choose aps when most are aps THEY think you should have, even if you don't want or need.  Might need store's help getting my Contacts in new one all at once.  I didn't have any web links, not used on old phone. I'll have to try some pix and messages to here and see what happens. NEW learning experience for me! Be seeing ya, I Hope!   PS, do I need that Tap a Talk ap to do most of this or other forums?  Seems the programs are diff than PC ones and have to re-learn some on those also. Didn't know if I should try it or some other way to do them.

Edited by glgrumpy, February 17, 2015 - 10:00 PM.

• MH81 and hamman have said thanks

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 10:28 PM

yeah I just got a 2nd gen MotoX last week and am already ready to go back to my old flip phone/

• Sawdust and Bill 76 have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 11:04 PM

I also sinned and upgraded to a smart phone from my old dumb phone.  I miss my dumb phone.  I had to have the new technology for my business and work... everyone assumes you have that type of junk nowadays.

This stupid thing talks back.  My fingers are also too fat to type and too clumsy when they can type! 

Ben W.

• KennyP, HDWildBill and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 12:31 AM

I've had a couple smart phones most recent the Galaxy S 5. I like it a lot but took me awhile to learn a few things. It still does a lot I'm sure I don't know about. I too because of simplicity miss my old flip phone sometimes.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 07:38 AM

GL, welcome to the modern world.
I'm not a big fan of Tapatalk. It's glitchy, won't resize pics correctly and nothing is where it belongs IMHO. Some people love it and I tip my hat to them for being able to use it, I find it just as easy to use my phone and view the regular site.
How big of a data plan do you have? That's one thing to keep in check when getting a smart phone. (As evidenced by Alc's thread on the topic)

#6 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 07:43 AM

If my "flip phone" was any older, it'd have a crank!

• HDWildBill, PappyH and superaben have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 07:46 AM

MH81 have 4 Gig?  and he said with wife using also, may need to go bigger? I can update to 6 gig for just a little more, so told him I would try the 4 and see what we do and change if needed.  Guess I'll not use tap/talk.  Most those aps things make diff pages and messes me up when trying to get around. I like the reg page better also.

Superaben...I have noticed it is real easy to bump letters when typing in the info and sometimes double bumping and I have normal size hands. I could see where bigger hands might be harder to aim. This also has a pen or whatever it is called to do fine work and point at things. I also use one of those on my tablet. I was looking some at settings and think I saw one for touch sensitivity, think I might check that out and see if one can change that for better.

• MH81 and superaben have said thanks

#8 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 09:02 AM

I just upgraded to a S5 Active last Friday. After breaking my LG G2 4 times in a year, I went with something else.

I like it so far, but I keep turning it on in my pocket, guess i will have to activate a screen lock.

We have 15 gig between the 4 of us. The kids breached the old 10 gig plan we had a couple times not realizing their WiFi was kicking out in certain parts of the house. Now that we move and WiFi is better in the house, we rarely use more than 6-7 gig a month.

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 10:12 AM

I'm also not much of a fan of Tapalk. The site software has a mobile format that works great for me although you can't post photos from it. I believe George said the next software upgrade will allow picture posting from the mobile format.

GL, nice upgrade. Did you go straight from a flip phone into the Note 4? Bet that'll take some serious time to get used to.

I always thought a smart phone would be about useless then I got my first one around 5 years ago. I'm constantly amazed at just how useful of a tool they are and how much I rely on it for work.

Edited by Canawler, February 18, 2015 - 10:28 AM.

#10 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • Member No: 66603
  • 623 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 10:24 AM

Still running with the dinosaurs phone wise here. Hoping to upgrade to a smart phone in August. Planning on an I phone as most of the apps I plan to use for work are only I phone compatible.... Or so I'm told.

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 10:47 AM

As Alan said Welcome to the 21st century GL.  Don't feel bad I just recently upgraded my old phone to a smart phone.  I have 3 GB of data and haven't gone over it yet.  Guess I just don't use it much for internet use.  I do like it for traffic and finding alternate routes.  Other then that I just use if for phone and text and once in a while a picture.

• superaben said thank you

#12 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 12:28 PM

General internet use with a smart phone doesn't really use a lot of gigs of data as one might think.

Now, jumped to youtube or stream some music and watch the meter fly!!!

• Alc, HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 05:23 PM

Tapatalk can be a PITA. Best option is go to to the bottom of the page on GTT and choose the mobile version on your phone. IT is much easier to navigate.

• sacsr and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 08:12 PM

I just upgraded to a S5 Active last Friday. After breaking my LG G2 4 times in a year, I went with something else.
I like it so far, but I keep turning it on in my pocket, guess i will have to activate a screen lock.

We have 15 gig between the 4 of us. The kids breached the old 10 gig plan we had a couple times not realizing their WiFi was kicking out in certain parts of the house. Now that we move and WiFi is better in the house, we rarely use more than 6-7 gig a month.

The S 5 is very sensitive Marty. I use the screen code dot connecting feature to unlock mine.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#15 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 02:21 PM

Well, I can load Talk and it is just like puter home page, TILL I change page and move around and it goes to tap/talk lay-out I guess, at least different. It's kinda automatic that way. Guess I'll just have to learn that.  Willy, not sure where on bottom of page to click for phone use?  You mean here now, or on my phone? I see the black area and green print items, but nothing states Mobile. Is it in Network then??  Getting more used to my phone, wife helping me out.  Put in all my contacts by hand, and a few sites are linked. Darn phones want you to use THEIR systems, not what you want most times. Offers come all the time for junk I don't care for or need. Have to be careful not to click on them, they sneak their links in with other stuff shown, pretty tricky!