• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Klorson OFFLINE  

Klorson
  • Member No: 67643
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 09:34 PM

Hi, I have been working on restoring a 1969 john deer lawn tractor, and it was running before I took it apart to restore it, so now I have everything back on it that it needs to start the motor but It doesn't have spark. I have a feeling it is because there is a ground connection that is not making a connection because of the new paint? But where are those ground connections? I will post a pic of it soon. And I have replaced the condenser again.

#2 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 09:58 PM

welcome to the GTtalk!  glad u found this place...great bunch of folks here!

ground is from your battery to the motor, and should be from the frame to the motor too.  I would also check your points, and coil connections.   you also must have a constant 12v to the coil

Edited by Delmar, February 17, 2015 - 10:01 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,885 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 10:08 PM

Welcome to GTtalk did you check that the plug wire did not get yanked from the coil somehow, check ignition switch is there a seat switch? Im not a J.D. man just trying to help you go over some things you may have overlooked

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 10:35 PM

Hi, I have been working on restoring a 1969 john deer lawn tractor, and it was running before I took it apart to restore it, so now I have everything back on it that it needs to start the motor but It doesn't have spark. I have a feeling it is because there is a ground connection that is not making a connection because of the new paint? But where are those ground connections? I will post a pic of it soon. And I have replaced the condenser again.

I went thru something similar on my 120 and it was indeed was a problem with the ground.  I ended up using little star washers on the solenoid, voltage reg, and the grounds.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 11:10 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Here's how I would attack this:

1.  Do you have 12 volts to your coil?  If yes, move on.  If not, check your wiring. 

2.  Is the stationary breaker point registering continuity to ground?  If yes, move on.  If not, clean the paint off under the points. 

3.  Is the movable breaker point registering continuity to the coil's trigger wire, and (more importantly) NO continuity to ground with the points open?  If both are good, move on.  If not, find out where you pinched the (usually at the breaker points box).

4.  Is your condenser grounded?  Clean off the paint under neath it and make sure it is in good shape. 

My personal guess is a bad condenser ground. 

However, if your tractor has sat for awhile during the restoration, you might also clean off your breaker points with a small file.  It won't hurt either way.  Even brand new points can have oxidation in shipping.

We want to see pictures of the tractor!

Ben W.

• MH81, Alc, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#6 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 04:00 AM

First thing I would do is file the points.thats the easy part.I've had to file points after tractor set for a week already.Then go down Bens list that should do it.

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 07:35 AM

Welcome to GTT. I hope that the above suggestions solve your problem. In the future, you can find good troubleshooting techniques in the Kohler Manuals from our Manuals Section. Please post pictures of your treasure when you can. Good Luck, Rick

#8 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 09:29 AM

A quick check for a bad ground is to run a temp jumper and bypass the tractor ground path. Use the ground side of a set of jumper cables - clip onto the negative terminal of the battery and the other side clamped onto unpainted metal on the engine. If that solves your problem, you can work your way back using the same jumper and see which connection is bad....
  • Trav1s and superaben have said thanks

#9 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 09:54 AM

:wewantpics:

#10 Klorson OFFLINE  

Klorson
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 12:43 PM

Okay so my tractor has the k181 Kohler motor, it doesn't have a coil. It has points and condenser, but I might be wrong.
  • superaben said thank you

#11 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 04:26 PM

Do you have a serial number?  I have a service manual (100,001 - 250,000) that likely covers your machine and get a pic of the wiring diagram for you.  

#12 Klorson OFFLINE  

Klorson
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 08:01 PM

I will get the serial number and pics this Saturday. And I also have a Kohler service Manuel so I'll get all that this Saturday, because it's at my folks house.

#13 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 08:01 PM

Okay so my tractor has the k181 Kohler motor, it doesn't have a coil. It has points and condenser, but I might be wrong.

So its a magneto tractor, then? Has the coil under the flywheel?

Ben W.

#14 Klorson OFFLINE  

Klorson
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 10:09 PM

Right

#15 Klorson OFFLINE  

Klorson
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 08:26 PM

Hey guys, the snow kept me from going home to my folks house where my tractor is, I am going to try to get there tomorrow. I will get pics and serial number, I'll keep u posted