31 replies to this topic

#31 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 09:36 PM

I have given thought once or twice to the idea of using 5/4 boards on my snowmobile trailer whether they be composite material or treated. I don't think its a good route though at least for me personally. It will add a lot of extra weight to the trailer that I can't justify, especially in composite. In my case though the trailer is a 7x10 tilt deck snowmobile trailer with a 2000LB axle. I rebuilt it 5 years ago and after sitting outside for most of that time the plywood is starting to rot on most of the trailer with one exception. I had a piece of marine grade plywood at the farm that was just laying around. I decided to use it on part of the trailer and that piece doesnt even have a hint of rot on it. Before I put it on the trailer it was a sign for a development not far from our farm for at least 10 years. So its been outside a LONG time and its still almost as good as new. You may consider to go that route with marine grade plywood instead of boards. With the size of your trailer though it may not be a problem with weight. I believe though that even if painted the marine plywood will last longer than treated material. Only problem is be prepared to hold on to your wallet for the marine ply, it aint cheap!

Another thought I've given consideration to recently is actually an idea I came up with that of all things you inspired. After reading your post about your mower deck refurb I got the idea of just coating the trailer with bedliner and redoing the entire trailer(frame and all) with that. It should last a REAL LONG time with that and it wouldnt add extra weight. I have experience in the past using Herculiner and I think at least for me its the ticket.

#32 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 02:30 AM

From what I have seen, that TREX stuff is kinda flimsy. There are spans @ 24" for this trailer and the Massey is pretty heavy. It would last, I just think parking the tractor on it would really bow it and could be very ugly if a board broke. I have to check the pricing on the PT 1x6 and see what the dsaving would be. I think that would be the way to go, but the 2x6 would be super strong! Either way, I really have to get back on this project and get it finished!

I have also decided that I will keep an eye on the Harbor Freight sales and pick up a front jack / stand for it.