• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 03:04 PM

It'll be much stronger with the welding upgrades. But what's wrong with holding parts to be welded with a stick? :rofl2:

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 12:15 AM

My little TSC trailer has had some mods, but it's also been error free so far in the welding dept. They include the title & transfer fee in the ones they sell here. They've gone up a little, but I think it was $249.00 for the whole rig. it's only 4x6, but they make bigger... just wanted a little one for the GT's, can't go on with the decks on them, but that's OK, it's small & nimble.

#18 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 01:08 PM

A guy at work bought one of these and did just as you are doing Lee. The trailer has served him well for some time now. Good luck! I am looking forward to the rest of your build.

#19 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 11:09 PM

It's getting closer... I started to bolt on the axle and found that the leaf-spring bushings are smaller than the bolts. I could just put the bushings in the lathe and bore them out, but I think I will use a smaller grade 8 bolt, and turn some bushings to weld onto the frame. This way I retain the bushing material and with the thicker weld-on bushings for the frame, I will have more "meat" for the bolt to ride on. The frame holes are a little sloppy, this will fix that "issue" too. Plenty of time for that though.... as long as the trailer is ready for the summer, I am good.

#20 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 11:24 PM

AH CRAP! Now I want a new trailer. Good thing I know how to weld lol.

#21 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 09:43 PM

HUH... So I picked up $10 worth of grade 8 bolts, washers, and nylon lock nuts. Now you would of thought that I would of checked to see if BOTH bushings were too small, Eh? Yep, one fit just fine, the other was no where even close. So I decided to just knock out the bushing and I bored it out on my lathe. I still liked my way better, but it's hard to add material to the bushing!

So the axle is on now, and it's time to re-pack the bearings with real grease and put the wheels on! Then I can start on the wires... I saw that Harbor Freight has a double ended trailer wire plug that is 4 or 5 feet long. I think I will buy one, and place the plug in the middle where it folds. I will cut the other end off to wire the lights and it will give me a way to fold it without leaving a lot of extra wire. I have to look into this a bit more, but for now, that's my plan.

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 09:55 PM

If you run the wires back to the pivot before you branch out, you shouldn't need much extra wire at all.

#23 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 10:34 PM

You know, I am really debating making this fold at all. I mean, it will be nice to store it inside, but the deck is stronger if the wood is not cut. I can keep stake sides on it without having to remove them, plus it's always ready. On the flip side, its out in the weather, so wear and tear will take it's toll on it. Plus, it will be another "thing" in the yard to look at. Not to mention the kids playing on it.

I suppose I will end up making it fold. I may also make front wall from steel that goes across the front, and maybe back a foot or two. This would be designed to let the deck fold, and maybe end up being the same height when folded. I could use that to lock the two halves together as well. Some thing that will give me a little extra safety when the tractor is on it, but would also allow for the stake sides to go on.

#24 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted April 04, 2011 - 12:25 PM

I know how you feel about leaving it out in the weather, but I've had a home made trailer that I decked with oak boards, no stain, no treatment of any kind for almost 20 years. The boards have finally rotted at the ends this past year. If you used PT or a good outdoor decking stain, it would probably last a lifetime!

#25 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 06:02 AM

I am more worried about the Harbor Freight part though! :laughingteeth:

#26 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 06:15 AM

Looks good!

Hope your state is better on the licensing department than mine. They wont answer their phones and when they do they wont tell me anything or forward me to the correct department. I'm just going to go up to the licensing place and see if they can talk to me, if not a hell raising might be in order. I'm not going to pay over $55 to get another license when there's one already assigned to the trailer. worst part is I have to get a new VIN assigned if they refuse to get me a new sticker.... $$$$$$$$$$$

Big money that a 17yr old with out a job does have... no wonder we're in a recession, our own government wont talk to us! lol

Good luck on your trailer, sorry for my rambling.

#27 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 06, 2011 - 06:59 PM

I sure hope so! The worst part is I have to tow it a good 30 miles to have it "inspected" and get plates. With all luck, it works out well.

PS, this trailer is on sale for $259.99 until 4-11-11

Hope this works.

http://widgets.harbo...99&keycode=0000

Edited by FirefyterEmt, April 06, 2011 - 08:51 PM.

#28 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 07:59 PM

OK, just a little update...

I have decided that this will NOT be a folding trailer, but fixed in place. I have decided that the advantage of folding it is not worth the storage space, or effort. I will weld the trailer solid and give it a full deck. Right now, it has been sitting as a bare frame outside and I have to say, the finish is garbage! it has already faded to a flat red! Not a big problem, because I plan to weld it up and re-paint it. I am thinking that I will use the same semi-gloss black rustoilzum that I used on my garden trailer a few years back. It still looks great and is very cheap! Right now, I need to decide if I want to use a sheet of plywood (I do not like this look) or deck it with either 2x6's in either a 2" or 1" board. Maybe using decking boards? I just think it will look better, and hold up better in the long run.

I's looking good to get it on the road too, my wife had almost finished it... but found we missed a tax payment on the Suburban and she has to pay that off and try again!

#29 chances882003 OFFLINE  

chances882003

• Member No: 4329
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 08:39 PM

I think that you will like the trailer. I purchased this same trailer 7 years ago. I added a 4' x 8' pressure treated plywood bottom and added sides to it.

#30 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 09:00 PM

There is a small saw mill in SW New Hampshire that is pretty reasonable on price for green white oak. I built my deck using it a few years ago. The wood is tough as nails. Another thought would be to use TREX decking. You can buy it in different colors and it lasts forever. Just my .02 cents