• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 05:31 PM

After seeing the pics member gtscreg posted here, I did a little investigating about the scoop tote. Found they were built by a company named JRCO and came in several sizes with different attachments. I found pics of a brochure and assembled them into a PDF which I uploaded here. Needing something to keep me occupied, I have started drawing up plans for one of these. Mine will be similar, but different. They offered these in 3 widths, 32", 42", and 50". There were 4 models, a 200 (32"), a 250 (42"), a 251 (42") (Cat 0 &1) and a 300 (50") (Cat 0 & 1). I have decided to make mine to the model 251 dimensions, only 50" wide. This will keep the weight down when the bucket is full (around 3.75 cu. ft.).

Here's a couple pics of what I have for the bucket. I chose the colors so you folks could have a better view of them.

Screen Shot 02-17-15 at 03.48 PM.JPG

Screen Shot 02-17-15 at 03.50 PM.JPG

On the bottom view, I added extra wear strips of 1/4" flat. The Yellow sides are 1/8" (close to 10 gauge). I hope to use a 3/4" pin for it to pivot/dump.

This is not a build thread as yet. Just a place to put the drawings and get you folk's feed back/ thoughts on building one of these. If you would like to build one, read the PDF to see what you want yours to be like. Then add whatever comments about your tote. I may be able to help with plans/drawings, just give me time to do them.

• DH1, limebuzz, Texas Deere and Horse and 6 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 05:36 PM

Not sure on use of scoop in back, would make my back and neck sore real quick working backwards. Wouldn't be much more than a trailer then to me.  If you ever have Johnny Buckett Ideas, I think I would like one of those. YES, I have been looking at the threads on those here. 

• KennyP and gtcsreg have said thanks

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 05:41 PM

Not sure on use of scoop in back, would make my back and neck sore real quick working backwards. Wouldn't be much more than a trailer then to me.  If you ever have Johnny Buckett Ideas, I think I would like one of those. YES, I have been looking at the threads on those here. 

If I could get some good pics of one of those, GL, I might be able to do something on them.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 06:03 PM

When I bought a big lot of Simplicity stuff there was one of those in with a dozen other attachments. Its under 3' of snow right now but if you remind me in June when all of this has melted, I'll take pics and measurements. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 06:08 PM

When I bought a big lot of Simplicity stuff there was one of those in with a dozen other attachments. Its under 3' of snow right now but if you remind me in June when all of this has melted, I'll take pics and measurements. Good Luck, Rick

JUNE??????? It'll be almost Winter by then! :bigrofl:

• limebuzz and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 06:13 PM

JUNE??????? It'll be almost Winter by then! :bigrofl:

I took the wife to the VA today. It was sunny there. Came home and it had been lightly snowing all day. The white stuff just won't stop. Our local weather guesser said that this pattern may linger until April. There have been times when the NE didn't have a summer but that was 200 years ago. Good Luck, Rick

• IamSherwood and KennyP have said thanks

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 06:45 PM

I understand about the looking behind and stiff neck. I plow all my snow with a rear blade on my Ford 1500. I have learned to accept that.
When I bought that tractor,it also came with a 3 point scoop. I was skeptical of it's usefulness .
But after moving many tons of dirt with it, have to say it is a necessary tool for anyone who does not have a loader. One thought though, I would not build the pan too wide, I think mine is about 36-40 inches wide and if I fill it heaping, that much weight on the 3 point can lift the front wheels and I have to steer with the brakes. Have even had to back up the hill. I am learning it is better to make another trip and not fill it so full. Besides it is hard to dump if you get too much weight behind the pivot.
I would think a trip bucket could be used either on the front or rear of the Gt. it is. Just a matter of figuring out the mount and lift.
One of the members(sorry I can not remember who) has a similar bucket mounted on a craftsman with a winch lift.
As usual your cad designs are very good.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 17, 2015 - 07:04 PM.

• Alc, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 07:05 PM

I do have thoughts about putting one on the front, but worried about steering. The axle will hold it, just turning the wheels.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 07:10 PM

I do have thoughts about putting one on the front, but worried about steering. The axle will hold it, just turning the wheels.

Yeah, but I do not hear the guys with Johnny buckets talking about that? Is it Tahoe that has posted pictures of his scoop on the craftsman?

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 07:16 PM

I don't remember who it was. Maybe they'll chime in here!

I happen to have an extra lift rockshaft for an FF. I thought about using that on the front to lift with. Kind of a front mounted 3-point!

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 07:21 PM

I wonder why you do not see the front 3 points used in the states like you do in Europe?
Another thing you might want to look at for ideas is the Westendorf auto dump.
  • Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#12 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 09:47 PM

I had a 42" scoop tote that mounted to a sleeve hitch. It was great as a carryall box, and locked in the "dump" position for use as a scraper. It didnt "scoop" much of anything...maybe mulch. A gt simply does not have the weight to maintain traction when trying to scoop something in reverse. I loade mine down with weight and it was just a big struggle to scoop up sod in a pile i had. Scooping dirt was out of the question, and yes, front weight is needed to get up a hill unless in teverse.
  • Alc, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 09:47 PM

The pins for the pivot that used are 1 inch but part of the reason for using these was the size of tubing I had for the other part of the pivot. If you look at the one I built it was for use with a sleeve hitch.

Rear Scoop 3.jpg

Charlie

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 06:27 AM

Kenny I'm looking forward to your thread . Even though my PK has a loader on it there are many times a scoop/tote would have been very handy . You can't believe  how many times I was carrying things in the bucket only to forget and  watch them fall out  a few minutes later when going to use the loader  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

#15 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 07:04 AM

I can see a tote being a real handy attachment to have around. It's on my

list of things to build.

I agree, that it could be a pain in the neck, as I've been there

for the last 30 years doing my job, but for accomplishing the occasional task it'd be

great.

Rig up a machine for the Mrs. to use as a garden tote, etc. I've watched my wife

try to back up a trailer. Talk about painful.

Even for moving the odd rock, it'd be better than trying to get it up into a wheel barrow. 

Trip grapple forks, or a trip screen could be added for moving brush or leaves.

Certainly a feasible alternative to a front end loader, with limitations.

Great thread Kenny, and thanks Reg for providing the info.

• gtcsreg said thank you