4 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 03:23 PM

It has probably been asked before and it is in here somewhere but I cannot locate it.  How does one determine the year of mfg. of a DB Tractor?  Mine is 9175752 and series 259.  The motor on it, which I believe to be original is model 81302, type 933578, series 6105220.  Going by the motor it should be a 1961 or 1962.  Is there any way to get closer than that?  Tanks in advance for your help.

• rustyoldjunk and Lauber1 have said thanks

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 06:00 PM

well its almost impossible to know the exact yr of any DB as no production record were kept, in a way that the common man could understand them. The "52" model was built after the "51", so its the second unit offered in the lineup. All early tractors used a model N Briggs, and then later on and into the 52's they went to a model 6. Next up was a model 56, which used a continental engine, then there was the 62 which used a Briggs, but I'd have to go outside to see what its number is. After that its the super power age with the 560 and 561. The engine you posted is a DB replacement engine, so you are correct that its original to the tractor, but not the original engine that came with the tractor. You original engine should have been a model 6, judging by the high series number of the tractor. Series numbers usually started at 100, and for sure went up into the 300's on most units. What this number stands for is a group of tractors, not a certain tractor. I've had a 560 and a 51 here that both had the same series number. No one really knows how many tractors are in a series, could be 100 or 1000.

On the date of your machine. The 51 was made roughly 46 to 49, the 52's were about 50-52. I would have to guess that there was some overlapping on the tractors as unlike cars there aren't really any model yrs or vin number to keep up with, so you got what you got, and was told it was the current item.

On replacement engines, the catalogs list several ones for each yr, but usually not the model number, so you basically got what ever 1.5hp or 2 hp or what ever you needed based on what the recommended items were in the pages. One thing you would notice right away is there are no continental engine sold as replacements.

Hope this helps you answer some questions.

• rustyoldjunk and HANKG have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 06:54 PM

Thanks a bunch Luger1.  That helped a lot with what I was trying to find out.  So basically my tractor is is a 1950 - 1952.  the motor has been replaced with a DB replacement Briggs motor made 10 years later.  Going to put this information with the paperwork for the tractor.  Some time down the road when one of the boys get it they will know what they are getting.  Appreciate your time and the information on this.  This is why there is not much on the net as to dating any of the DB tractors...  I owe you one.  :dancingbanana:   :thumbs:

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#4 shawsplace56 OFFLINE  

shawsplace56
  • Member No: 53721
  • 14 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted March 06, 2015 - 07:05 AM

Your tractor had a cast iron Briggs  the tag would read 500.306197  It would have a 5/8 Crankshaft  and a 4315M engine pulley . The tractor came without tires . You could purchase tires  extra . Sears suggested  used auto tires  but at that time they also sold  Allstate farm master Knobby tires 6.00 x 16   Steel wheels were another option available   The engine would be black . Gas tank is also black .   Good Luck with your tractor   

• rustyoldjunk and Lauber1 have said thanks

#5 Spooner78 OFFLINE  

Spooner78
  • Member No: 81974
  • 5 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 01:09 PM

well its almost impossible to know the exact yr of any DB as no production record were kept, in a way that the common man could understand them. The "52" model was built after the "51", so its the second unit offered in the lineup. All early tractors used a model N Briggs, and then later on and into the 52's they went to a model 6. Next up was a model 56, which used a continental engine, then there was the 62 which used a Briggs, but I'd have to go outside to see what its number is. After that its the super power age with the 560 and 561. The engine you posted is a DB replacement engine, so you are correct that its original to the tractor, but not the original engine that came with the tractor. You original engine should have been a model 6, judging by the high series number of the tractor. Series numbers usually started at 100, and for sure went up into the 300's on most units. What this number stands for is a group of tractors, not a certain tractor. I've had a 560 and a 51 here that both had the same series number. No one really knows how many tractors are in a series, could be 100 or 1000.

On the date of your machine. The 51 was made roughly 46 to 49, the 52's were about 50-52. I would have to guess that there was some overlapping on the tractors as unlike cars there aren't really any model yrs or vin number to keep up with, so you got what you got, and was told it was the current item.

On replacement engines, the catalogs list several ones for each yr, but usually not the model number, so you basically got what ever 1.5hp or 2 hp or what ever you needed based on what the recommended items were in the pages. One thing you would notice right away is there are no continental engine sold as replacements.

Hope this helps you answer some questions.

Hi, 

I have a the same question as to what year my db is? Model number 80102 Type 908045 Series 6008090. I know that is the original engine but just cant seem to fig out what model and year this DB is. Any ideas?

Thanks Ahead of Time!!

Bill