Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 11:34 PM

Has anyone put power steering on an MTD 995, FARM KING, DAYTON, WHITE GT 1855?

I was looking over my Dayton 3Z68B today as how to install a pedal control for the hydro versus the lever.  The travel lever is on the left hand side--same side as the hydraulic lift lever. 

DAYTON LH SIDE.jpg

I've been doing a lot of work with a 3 point hitch-mounted aerator this weekend, and it really slows me down to have to stop the tractor to raise the hitch.. I have to take my hand off the travel lever to use the hydraulics, and can't just feather the speed down like a foot pedal can.

ANYWAY--while I was looking under the tractor, I noticed this 1" hole in the left side of the  frame that lines up with the nut on the side of the steering sector gear and is also just beneath a rectangular hole in the floorboard.  Makes me wonder if MTD had an automotive type steering gear or power steering option for this series tractor.  The pitman shaft from the gear box could go through the hole, the rectangular hole in the floor board would leave room for the arc of the pitman arm...

DAYTON LH FRAME 2.jpg DAYTON LH FLOORBOARD 1.jpg

The draglink from the sector to the front axle starts in the center of the frame and goes diagonally to the left hand spindle--it could just as easily be attached to a pitman arm where the hole is and go alongside the left side of the frame.

Has anyone heard of something like this on these tractors???? 

Just wondering, because, as many of you know, the steering sector and pinion on the MTD 995 series tends to "skip" gears when turning...

Regards,

Smitty

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#2 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 01:49 AM

MTD was building the heavy duty 3000 series Cubs when the last of the 900 series tractors were built,so maybe some things could or would interchange ? Some of the 3000 series Cubs had power steering and they were foot controlled hydro. I know the 3 point hitches look very similar.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, February 17, 2015 - 01:49 AM.

• Alc, Utah Smitty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 05:16 PM

MTD was building the heavy duty 3000 series Cubs when the last of the 900 series tractors were built,so maybe some things could or would interchange ? Some of the 3000 series Cubs had power steering and they were foot controlled hydro. I know the 3 point hitches look very similar.

Thanks, ROJ! I'll check them out...

smitty
  • rustyoldjunk said thank you

#4 Eulogy OFFLINE  

Eulogy
  • Member No: 59661
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 08:04 PM

Thanks, ROJ! I'll check them out...

smitty

Smitty

Please share any info you find on this.  I have been looking to do exactly this to my GT2055.

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 09:53 PM

Smitty

Please share any info you find on this.  I have been looking to do exactly this to my GT2055.

I will.  I think I'm going to put a steering valve and cylinder in it--similar to the Cub Cadet 1800 series.

there's quite a bit of room under the hood-shouldn't be a problem hanging a valve there and running hoses from it.

I picked up the valve on eBay so I'm more than half way there--materials-wise.

As for foot control--the problem is a means to center the control in Neutral.  It could be done with springs, but that would require you to hold you foot on the pedal all the time... I'm thinking of just adding the levers to the existing shaft, and leave the hand control where it is--maybe attach a slotted plate with a smaller detent in it, and just use foot power to move past it to reverse, etc.... I'll keep you posted

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, February 25, 2015 - 09:56 PM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mtd 995, dayton 3z68, power steering, power steering conversion