• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ylamar OFFLINE  

Ylamar
  • Member No: 67612
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 08:39 PM

Hi all, new to this Forum and I think I'm going to like sharing info with other tractor enthusiasts. I own a Cub Cadet LGTX1050 (brand new), I have owned another Cub Cadet which I sold recently, and I also own an old Craftsman II which I use as a puller only. I have also owned an older JD 510 with a front loader but sold that one as well (too many repairs needed on it). I recently bought an Ariens GT17, which I think is a 1985, and this garden tractor is better than my brand new Cub. The construction and materials used is equal to larger farm tractors in quality, not the low quality of my Cub Cadet.

After I bought the tractor ($1950), I dropped it at my local Ariens dealer and had them do a full inspection, and had them service the machine so it runs real good ($750 in repairs). New carb kit, new intake manifold, new hydraulic hoses, brakes and other parts.

The tractor runs great but the hydraulics are not strong. I have the snowblower attaché ent and a rear blade but the tractor can barely lift the snowblower.

So my question is, how complicated is it to service the hydraulic pump on this tractor?

image.jpg     image.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Gabriel said thank you

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 08:46 PM

Welcome to the forum. Some of the Ariens guys should be along shortly to help.

• Gabriel said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,521 Thanks
  • 3,916 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 09:52 PM

Welcome to GTtalk!

The hydraulics run off the charge pump for the hydro. If the hydro can go through the different speeds without a problem, I am thinking that it will be after the pump. I couldn't see if yours has the spring assist on for the blower lift. Does your tractor have power steering?

• boyscout862 and Gabriel have said thanks

#4 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 11:17 PM

Welcome to GTTalk! :wave:  Nice Ariens!

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 11:38 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#6 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 03:47 AM

Welcome to GTtalk!
The hydraulics run off the charge pump for the hydro. If the hydro can go through the different speeds without a problem, I am thinking that it will be after the pump. I couldn't see if yours has the spring assist on for the blower lift. Does your tractor have power steering?

The spring assists provide minor assistance at best. The hydraulics should easily and quickly lift the sno-thrower.

Did you check the oil level? I notice the fill plug elbow is incorrectly oriented horizontally instead of vertically. That tells me the folks who worked on the hydraulic system did not know what they are doing. Something is not right.

Edited by artbuc, February 17, 2015 - 03:54 AM.

• Alc, shorty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 06:18 AM

Welcome to GTT. Check our Manuals Section for your manual(three free downloads per day). That is a very nice machine. When you have someone else do the work, you don't know what was done to the machine. That is why I do my own. The cab I have for my Ford LGT 125 came off one of those. A cab makes it alot more comfortable and  great for moving snow. I agree with artbuc, check the fill tube and hydraulic oil level. Good Luck, Rick

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 06:38 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum!

#9 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 08:05 AM

Did your dealer inspect/rebuild the lift cylinder? Maybe all you need is a 50 cent Oring.

#10 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 11:03 AM

Do you know if it lifted the snow blower fine before it was serviced?  I saw that the dealer replaced the hydraulic hoses.  You could have some air in the hydraulic lines.

#11 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 12:51 PM

I have a Gravely 18H which is an Ariens GT 18 with Gravely badging. My experience is that air in the hydraulic hoses/cylinders (power steering or lift) rapidly bleeds out. However, priming the charge pump does require a certain procedure and it could be that it was never primed correctly.

#12 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 02:51 PM

See Section 8.

http://apache.ariens...als/000127A.pdf

#13 Natureboy OFFLINE  

Natureboy
  • Member No: 49649
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 04:26 PM

Art is correct on the fill fitting and the purging. Opening should be pointed straight up. My S16H has a street el fitting on it, not the elbow you have, and oil level should be to the bottom of the fitting. Also make sure that the front and back lifts are in the FULL UP position before you change the position switch for the lift cylinder. If not this will result in neither front or back lift working correctly.
Also I have noticed that (at least the one I deal with) dealers have mechanics who are not the slightest bit familiar with these old tanks. The Ariens tractors they are trained to service now are nothing like the old GT's. On occasion when I go in for parts I get a "deer in the headlights" look from the service guys. Hope this helps, you got a fine GT that will give you years of hard service, they don't build them like that anymore.

#14 TDNeurau OFFLINE  

TDNeurau
  • Member No: 67798
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 01:35 PM

I recently went through my GT20, which is similar in hydraulics.  Everything posted is true.  If the transmission is working properly and you are able to go forward/reverse, the hydrostatic pump is probably not the problem.  When I replaced my orings for both lift and steering, I found that the air purged out quickly.  Did the service shop put everything back together properly?  If the lift cylinder is similar to mine, there is a mechanism to select the rear versus mid/front lift.  Make certain that it is properly engaged and that the cylinder is not hanging up on the transmission housing.  If the lift cylinder is a servicable type, in other words the front is threaded and not welded, disassemble it and visit a local hydraulics repair shop.  The three orings will cost you less than $3.

Good luck!

#15 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 04:20 AM

Guess I am lucky. My hydraulic shop gives me the Orings for free. They say it is not worth doing the paperwork. I am waiting for the day they set a minimum order but so far so good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ariens, gt17, hydraulics