• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 08:00 PM

I've been through this before in the past and just had to do it again. My 036 started running like crap since it was starved for fuel. I picked up a new fuel line and fuel filter just in case there was an issue with them. The fuel line was starting to break down and has some small cracks starting, so good thing I picked one up. I disassembled the carb and cleaned out the brown scum that I found inside. The small fuel strainer looked fairly clean, so I left it in place when I cleaned the carb. I reassembled the carb, installed the new fuel line and filter, and wala!...still ran like crap.
I pulled the carb back apart and removed the fuel strainer screen this time. As the fuel dried on the screen, a whitish haze appeared. I held the screen up to the light and the screen was 80% blocked. I cleaned the screen with a Q-tip and some gun cleaning solvent until I could see that the screen was 100% open. I reassembled the carb, installed it, and the saw runs like new again. I bought the saw 10 years ago and I haven't had to rebuild the carb yet, just cleaned it twice. I will be rebuilding the carb next time around since the gaskets and diaphram are showing effects of this junk gas.
Anyway, just wanted to mention how important it is to clean that screen once in a while. Here's the crap that was in the carb when I first took it apart.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150216_103152-1.jpg

• DougT, Bud, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 08:15 PM

Little passages and little screens are very important in a carburetor!

Ben W.

• boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#3 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 05:05 AM

I have a O31 sawI think it is,,,smaller saw. I only use regular 87 octane as the higher octane has more additives which when left for a period of time turns to ugly and eats the fuel line which is the only engine related part I have replaced on my Stihl in 20 years.  My saw sometimes sits idle for 6 months full of fuel and no issues.

• boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 07:10 AM

I have an 036 that I've never had to work on, but the day is coming, I'm sure.
Thanks.
  • classic said thank you

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 12:10 PM

Those little passages are usually the issue for me.  They are difficult to get clean. 

• classic said thank you

#6 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 01:14 PM

Those little passages are usually the issue for me.  They are difficult to get clean. 

Best way I have found to clean carb passages from my big tractors down to my chainsaws is get a can of air designed for dusting computers from an electronics department. They have a little straw and have quite a bit of pressure for cleaning out the small passages. The other good thing is that since they are for cleaning electronics they aren't just air there is some propellent and so they are moisture free. Those little cans have saved me a lot of frustration of the years.

• HDWildBill and classic have said thanks

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 02:27 PM

Best way I have found to clean carb passages from my big tractors down to my chainsaws is get a can of air designed for dusting computers from an electronics department. They have a little straw and have quite a bit of pressure for cleaning out the small passages. The other good thing is that since they are for cleaning electronics they aren't just air there is some propellent and so they are moisture free. Those little cans have saved me a lot of frustration of the years.

Yes, I agree.  I keep a can in the shop and in my office.