#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 11:28 AM

Now that I have most of the wood working projects out of theway it's time to build a couple of sleeve hitches for my Homelite and BILs Simplicity. I have a good drawing of what I want the I got from another forum. I'll admit thet I'm not much of a welder but I am going to try to get it done in the next few weeks. My Bil and I will share the attachments I have and we need to get some ground work done this summer. Along the way this winter I have a belly grader project I want to make for my Homelite.

Drawing for the sleeve hitch :homelitesleevehitch.PNG

Or this one :homelitesleevehitch4.PNG

I know there will be some adjustments made on sizing and such but it will work out. Instead of cutting the steel to length I am going to bend it over a 1/2" black pie to make curved corners. I have the torch for heat and enough time to get it done. I have two pieces of steel and plan on making both at the same time. That way I will piece one together and then the next. Then I will weld them together and finish them. I have taps and dies to make the adjustable lift rods as well. Plan on making those oit of 1/2" round stock.
Roger.
  • bgkid2966, boyscout862, HANKG and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 11:32 AM

That AC/Simplicity drawing is one I put up. It was a little off from what my tractor measured for width. I made mine from 3/8" material and it just barely fit between.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 01:52 PM

I like the second one with the clipped corners & also the first one because of the center support . I guess I'm not much help. By the way the X in the upper right corner of the second pic doesn't work . I looked at the drawings several times & hit it every time to exit.lol

Edited by Sawdust, February 16, 2015 - 01:53 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#4 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 02:25 PM

The first diagram was the very first thing I ever welded.  I have beat the snot out of it, and it hasn't given yet.  I even let a buddy 'borrow' it once to use with a plow behind is AC 716.  I stopped over to his place to find me snapping tree roots the size of my forearm with that plow and my hitch.  Everything help up, but he did have to use the axe on a few roots.  What a sight that was...

• hamman, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 04:07 PM

I had one built to the Brinly specs by a local welding shop.  He said the hardest thing was to the the bends in exactly the right place so the front ends would come out the right distance apart and the length would be right.  The next on we will cut the bends 2/3 of the way through the metal.  then weld the bends shut.  that will make the bends exactly where they need to be, or at least close enough for govt. work.  Just a passing though I thought I would pass along.

• hamman, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 07:16 PM

I would make my corner bends with the ends longer than needed then cut them both to length. That would be difficult to cut the piece to the exact length then start bending.
  • hamman said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 08:11 PM

I didn't even try to bend mine. Just cut the pieces and welded it all together!

EDIT: A pic of it is here, post #1798

Edited by KennyP, February 17, 2015 - 10:10 AM.

• hamman and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 10:45 AM

When I bent mine I had a home made forge I made from an old brake drum. It worked very well.
  • hamman, KennyP and FixItCharlie have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 11:09 AM

When I bent mine I had a home made forge I made from an old brake drum. It worked very well.

Like to see pics of that forge!

• hamman, Sawdust and FixItCharlie have said thanks

#10 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 11:26 AM

I bought two pieces of 1/8" X40 1/4" X 2" steel to make the hitches out of. There is enough steel in each one to make all the pieces we need for the hitches. I have some 1/2" I.D. black pipe to make the pin holder out of. My plan is to set it in the vise and heat it and bend it from there. I will measure out from the center to make my 90* bends and then cut the excess off. the first side will be to correct length and then the end and other side. This will leave me roughly 14 1/4 " of steel to make the cross bar and the center support / lift arm. It's nearly 20* F here now and I am getting ready to go out to the garage. Hopefully I can at least get it bent today and then fitted and welded tomorrow evening.                                                                                                  Roger

• limebuzz, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 11:58 AM

Like to see pics of that forge!

Kenny I don't have it anymore but here is a video of a real simple but functional way of building one. Go on YouTube & you can see several more designs. Now that it was brought up I want to make another one  :D

Edited by Sawdust, February 17, 2015 - 11:59 AM.

• limebuzz, hamman, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 12:13 PM

Cool!

• hamman said thank you

#13 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 09:11 AM

I got to the garage yesterday and found it was way to cold to try to bend the steel. My BIL works and gets home late so we can't get to his warm garage for a while. It is supposed to be below zero here for the next couple of days. After that it's supposed to warm up to the 20s and then stay that way for a while. that will be better to work in. I have a couple of small electric heaters to put near where my welding table is so I can at least keep my hands warm. More as we go along on this project. Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                              Roger

• KennyP said thank you

#14 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 11:51 AM

Not much progress on this. Got the u bend done but since then been to sick to get back out to work on it. Hope no one else has this crap that is going around. Can't sleep, cough all the time and just generally run down. Don't dare go outside for long because of the cold. Went to Dr. and got more medication to try to break this string of crap we have had since the end of November.

I have all the parts to make the hitch but with the garage not heated I can't stand being out there long. I will venture out today and get my length of 3/8" cold rolled steel to being into the house and thread one end of the lift rod for the clevis. I can cut it and bend the other end to length without to much problem. I have the pipe in a 3 1/4" length, by 5/8" ID and a little over 3/4" OD. Sounds good as I sit here typing this but actually doing it is the next thing. Got two Grade 8 bolts and nut X 5/8" for the adjustment bolts. Once I get everything lined up I can drill weld the nuts to the inside of the hitch and it should be pretty much done. I am going to make my own 1/2" round ( acorn) head pins for this hitch. I have made the same thing for all my implements so I don't have to go looking for pins every time I want to change implements. My next project for the Homelite ig the belly grader made from an old Simplicity dozer blade. Have a good weekend.                  Roger

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted March 21, 2015 - 12:28 PM

Hope you get to feeling better soon, Roger! I know all about a cold shop. Not much gets done during the cold weather.

• hamman said thank you