• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 11:39 PM

I suspect that the lower element has quit.

When that happens only a few gallons at the top of the heater tank heats up the rest of the water heater tank is cold.

Bradford White gets my vote. Costs a few dollars more but well worth it Rudd also a good quality heater.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#17 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 02:05 AM

Am I reading this wrong and you have water heater OUTSIDE???  You mean like in garage maybe?  I don't see you replacing for a GOOD one for less than $350 now days for any warranty and better construction. New ones also have little mini-computers in them you can set and change if needed till you get correct usage. 50 gals is also the minimum if electric for that many people and washing. Gas can be smaller, but need chimney then if you don't have. Whirlpool is what I have I think. They are one of best appliance makers left, but not sure they make their own heaters or just brand them. Ocasionally draining out the sludge in bottom is the Best thing you can do for a water heater to keep it free of the bottom element and plugging up pick-up tubes.

• toomanytoys84 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#18 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 06:56 AM

I had to replace me old electric water heater this last year. Bought the cheap (although made in the USA) lowes and now I have about half the water flow from the hot taps in the house. Tried compensating by turning it to the highest settng, but not much help. It has to be some low flow energy saving government deal, but because of the highest settng and three times longer showers to get soap off I use way more energy.

#19 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 07:18 AM

I replaced the lower heat element in mine five years ago.
$12 as I recall. If you have high mineral content in your water it settles to the bottom of the tank until it surrounds the element.
You should flush the tank once a year.

Joe

#20 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 09:26 AM

Been fighting the same issue with mine, just yesterday. Whenever they run out of water quickly, it almost always a bad lower element.

Mine is testing with good ohms ( 15), but it's not holding the heat. Like said earlier, even though I flushed tank, I'm betting it's all covered with heavy calcium deposits. I am going to replace it and see what happens. I thought about a new tank, even though this one is probably 15-20 yrs old, but it's got a special liner in it so the innards is supposed to be guaranteed not to rust. When I pulled upper element, inner walls looked brand new.

I also made the mistake of removing the dip tube out when I replaced the conection nipples on the top. Thankfully I saved it and was able to modify it and put it back in. The cold water was coming in and mixing with hot water and then right back out into house.The cold water now comes in at bottom of the tank like it's supposed to. After watching some youtube videos, guy on there says this is actually common and many people replace the tank when the dip tube has just fallen off.  

#21 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 06:29 PM

Going home after work tomorrow and changing out the water heater. 2 hour drive home. 30 minutes to pick up the water heater. Hour to install. Should finish up in time to go to sleep get up at 5 and drive back.
  • MH81, Sawdust and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#22 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 08:31 PM

Going home after work tomorrow and changing out the water heater. 2 hour drive home. 30 minutes to pick up the water heater. Hour to install. Should finish up in time to go to sleep get up at 5 and drive back.

Good luck to you!

#23 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 02:28 PM

Actually got a good deal today.  Buddy of mine was texting me, told him he could come over tonight and help me drag out my water heater.  He said hey, I have a brand new water heater I bought at Ace Hardware for one of my rentals and I ended up not needing it.  Tired of looking at it in the back of my garage, still in the box.  .  He sold it to me for the cost of a 30 pack of busch light, and he is delivering it, and taking my old water heater to the scrap yard for me.  I need more friends like him!  I'll owe him one for sure.

• EricR, WNYTractorTinkerer, TAHOE and 1 other said thanks

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 06:05 PM

That was a good deal!

#25 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 06:57 PM

Well guys I am man enough to admit that I am stupid.

I tore out the old water heater and me and dad put the new one in. Turned it on. No humming nothing. Pulled out my meter and no power. Checked the breaker. Power out. Wires are ran into the ceiling which has plywood up. I looked around and I noticed a piece of plywood that was hinged. Under it was a fuse disconnect with a blown fuse. Changed that and the water heater hummed.

Fuses don't usually blow and this fuse looked like it was exploded. Front of it bulged. So maybe the water heater went bad and popped the fuse. Or the fuse just blew.

Either way I have a brand new water heater and now I know there is a disconnect.
  • MH81, KennyP and TAHOE have said thanks

#26 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 07:53 PM

Well guys I am man enough to admit that I am stupid.

Maybe not as much so as you thought.

#1 most people don't understand that fuses are like light bulbs. The element in that fuse will only take so many power surges and it will burn out. Especially if the fuse is used to protect an item that starts and stops a lot. If you think about it, except for the inert gas the construction of a fuse and light bulb are much alike.

#2 if that fuse was as damaged as you say, it sounds like a thermostat or element in that water heater was shorted directly to ground.

If you investigate further you might find you did the right thing. :D  

Edited by Cvans, February 17, 2015 - 07:55 PM.

#27 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 08:10 PM

That was exactly my thoughts. If I could find the fuse I'd post a picture. The front of it was bubbled out and it was crispy.

I'd venture to say something inside shorted out and caused it. But maybe not.

Like I said new water heater is in. I just took a HOT shower and I am pleased. Should be good for years to come.

Edited by toomanytoys84, February 17, 2015 - 08:27 PM.

• MH81, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#28 Coventry Plumber ONLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 09:09 PM

I think you made the right choice also. Plus you don't have to worry now about a rupture while you are away. 16 years is old in water heater years. Tom
  • Cvans said thank you

#29 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 09:29 PM

20150217_193634.jpg

There is the new girl. All shiny!

20150217_193626.jpg

Had to move the lines around. I'll probably kick myself years from now for not putting the unions back in for easy removal but I wanted it done. Not the prettiest solder job but no leaks. Some new fittings some reused.

House needs serious attention to the plumbing. I may start that project with the kitchen and bathroom remodel. There is probably 200 feet of pipe in that basement that isn't needed. Might try that new pex stuff out.

Edited by toomanytoys84, February 17, 2015 - 09:33 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#30 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 10:18 PM

There is probably 200 feet of pipe in that basement that isn't needed.

Just for something to chew on, any deadheaded pipe longer than 4 ft. is a good place for bacteria to start growing. In our facility the USDA informed us that pipes should be capped as close to the trunk line as possible. 

Now that I've cluttered your head with useless information maybe mine will have some free space.  :smilewink:

Edited by Cvans, February 17, 2015 - 10:19 PM.