32 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 08:26 PM

Well weird one tonight. Ran dish washer. Daughter took a bath. I go in to shower hot water is completely gone.

Strange thing is I have had the wood stove burning for the last 48 hours. Water heater outside is really hot. Not burn you hot but hot. Wood stove and water heater are about a foot to 2 foot apart.

Did the wood stove over heat the water heater and shut it down? Or did my 16 year old water heater up and die all at once?

I knocked the breaker and going to let everything settle down and restart it tomorrow. See what happens.

Voting for the home owners sub forum :lol:

Edited by toomanytoys84, February 15, 2015 - 08:28 PM.

• hamman, boyscout862, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 08:31 PM

I take it it"s an electric water heater?? If so it my just be that one of the heating elements have gone bad. If it is gas it my be the thermocouple or the gas valve. Roger.

• Sawdust and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 08:34 PM

Electric. If it's broke I'm not going to mess with parts. It's 198 dollars for an equivalent water heater at lowes. I'll just replace it. Piece of mind...
  • hamman and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#4 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 08:39 PM

If it's electric take an om meter and check the heater you will have to take the wires off of them to check them if they are good your meter will be zero do them both on at a time if it don't read zero then it's bad you can replace them for about 20 bucks but most of the time it's the bottom one that goes bad also shut the breaker off to the tank before you check them
  • hamman, toomanytoys84 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#5 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 08:41 PM

when they quit they quit !!!!!!  Be glad it doesn't leak, hot water heater elements are cheap enough and fairly easy to replace.  after 16 years I would just replace it to get the peace of mind as you said.  Good luck with it.

Pete

• hamman, WNYTractorTinkerer, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 08:57 PM

If it's 16 years old just replace it, not worth even checking it out at that age, you would be better off buying one from a plumbing supply house. Almost all the ones I see with problems early on are from the box stores. The price is not that much different but they are better built. I could go on and on with this subject and box stores . Tom
  • hamman, boyscout862, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 09:04 PM

If it's 16 years old just replace it, not worth even checking it out at that age, you would be better off buying one from a plumbing supply house. Almost all the ones I see with problems early on are from the box stores. The price is not that much different but they are better built. I could go on and on with this subject and box stores . Tom

You probably see some junk from them. Any thoughts on doing those on demand water heaters.
  • hamman said thank you

#8 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 09:18 PM

It's all about temperature rise, if your water temp is not that low , they are worth it. Here our water can come in at 35 sometimes so we need the largest unit to get enough GPM. I'm not sure that makes sense , I have trouble being brief and making sense at the same time.Tom
  • hamman and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 09:22 PM

I understand what you are saying.

Any brand of water heater you recommend? The 16 year old one in question is a whirlpool.

My natural has heater in my old house was something like 20 years old and it worked like a champ. It was small and I never ran out of hot water but there was only 2 of us there. Not 4 people and 9 million loads of clothes

#10 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 09:24 PM

You should check in to the hybrid heat pump water heaters. The electric company was giving a $750 rebate for them here.They use the air in the room as a heat sorce. Worth a look. Tom
  • cootertom said thank you

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 09:30 PM

You should check in to the hybrid heat pump water heaters. The electric company was giving a $750 rebate for them here.They use the air in the room as a heat sorce. Worth a look. Tom

How do those work in a basement? Typically my basement is 40 or 50 in the winter. 60 70 in the summer.

Are they effective in that location?

Sorry for all the questions you are a wealth of information for plumbing hence the name :lol:

Appreciate the help
  • Coventry Plumber said thank you

#12 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 09:30 PM

Tank type My favorite brand is Ruud (same as Reem). O.A.Smith is also good.On demand I like Navien.
  • Sawdust and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#13 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 09:35 PM

When the basement is cool it would run on electric only ( which is the same as normal WH) when it's warmer it switches to air or combo air /electric .
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 10:06 PM

I've been using Bradford White electrics for 2 or 3 decades with good results. 

Good luck with your problem.

Edited by Cvans, February 15, 2015 - 10:25 PM.

• toomanytoys84 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 10:08 PM

I was not impressed by the heat pump water heater I looked at.  Recovery time wasn't very good, and it needed to be in a somewhat warm location.   I don't have a basement however, and would have been putting my tank in a crawl space.  

The on-demand gas heaters can be really good if there is a high demand for hot water in your home.  You would have to have a source of gas and I'm not sure if they are natural gas only or if there are propane versions.  They can be expensive, but a direct vent gas heater tank is expensive also, so that should be taken into consideration.

Water heaters do have overtemperature limit switches.  It is possible you managed to trip yours with the wood stove, or maybe something esle is wrong.  The over heat protector is usually located in with the upper thermostat and element, its a red button that can be pushed in.  If it clicks, it probably tripped.  If it tripped, then something caused the water or the device to overheat and you should take steps to find out what it was.  I usually found State water heaters were bad about having the lower thermostat stick "on" and causing that protector to trip.  Replace the lower thermostat and ususally all was good.

• MH81, Cvans, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks