41 replies to this topic

#31 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 10:10 PM

This fall you can work some leaves in or peet, either will raise your acid level if you need it. And your sweet potatoes will love the loose ground.
Just about everything in the veggie world loves acidic ground. And when plowing ,deeper is better, the roots go down much further than any other crops.
  • Alc said thank you

#32 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 08:02 AM

Tuesday night Jo & I pulled the pickling Cucumbers, they were still producing but she was sick of making pickles.
Besides the tomatoes are coming on and she would not have time to do both.
So Last Night I Tilled and made raised beds, and She planted 18 Cabbage, 18 Broccili and 18 Califlower.
I also made another Bed for the Radishes and Lettuce, she will plant tonight.
This will be our first fall garden, will be interesting to see how it goes.

#33 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 07:39 AM

I cut the sorghum grass last weekend with the Tri-Trac , ( I'm getting better at this ) I was thought it would have dried out this week but rain almost every day ! When it does dry I'll move it off , till and plant rye for a winter cover crop . The sorghum that wasn't cut even from the first cutting started to go to seed I was going to try to save the seeds . Has anyone saved seeds like those ? AlP9170222.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• P9170223.jpg

• twostep said thank you

#34 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 07:56 PM

Got dry enough today to rake off , wish I had a dump rake , the only thing I had was the one I made with rubber mounted straight teeth . Guess it's better the raking by hand and it scratched the surface enough that I through the rye on and drove over with the JD to kind of pack the seeds down,
P9240228.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• P9240229.jpg
  • P9240227.jpg

• twostep said thank you

#35 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 10:20 AM

That looks good! I like your rake.

#36 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 07:59 PM

Here's a few pic's take a few weeks ago of the sorghum grass put down for a deep mulch and the winter rye coming up .PA070252.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• PA070251.jpg
  • PA070249.jpg
  • PA070250.jpg

#37 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 12:24 PM

Al: Now that you have had a season of working with the Sourgham grass. How do you like it as a mulch??
I used mostly grass clippings this year. But I had a patch that grew up in Giant foxtail and weeds in general that when mowed dried up into some pretty nice straw. I put that on the winter planting of garlic & Shallots. I like how it worked as mulch much better than the grass clippings.
Reading seems to indicat the Sourgham/Sudan grass has a tendency to smother weeds so I'm thinking of planting some in that weed patch next spring. Since the wife intends to double the garden next year, I'm going to need more mulch than my lawn produces in grass clippings.

#38 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted October 24, 2011 - 07:22 PM

The sorghum grass is pretty thick so I'm hoping it doesn't breakdown too fast and it grows fast enough that I got 2 cuttings in a season . I plan on planting it again next spring after the winter rye gets cut for mulch . I think it you put the grass clippings down with sorghum on top might make a good mulch cover .

#39 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 01:00 PM

Here's an update , Cut some of the winter cover rye for the potatoes It takes a lot to get a good covering Not sure if the winter rye will keep growing doesn't matter because this will be garden area anyway .

Attached Thumbnails

• P4210533.JPG
  • P4210534.JPG

#40 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Here's the area that I've been growing mulch this past year. 2 rows about 80' long with mulch ( this is the winter rye )  growing between . Had sorgram this summer which is what's on the rows in the pictures . I'm not too happy with the amount of bugs that showed up on the melons cucumbers squash ect.   If it was because of the mulch or just a bad year IDK. Did have potatoes in the middle mulched row , that wasn't too bad .

Attached Thumbnails

• P5140542.JPG
  • P5140544.JPG

#41 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 10:07 PM

After cutting the winter cover crop last week  and putting it on the potatoes and where the cucumbers will be growing I plowed it under with the Power King on Sunday .Today I tilled with the Jim Dandy ,  used the DB 600 and  spike tooth harrow to make it a little flatter and it also helped get the root clumps up .  I seeded with the sorghum grass and switched to the harrow  packer  to bury the seeds .  Finished compacting the seed & soil by going back and forth with the 318 but it got too dark for those pictures .

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0644.JPG
  • DSCN0786.JPG
  • DSCN0787.JPG
  • DSCN0790.JPG
  • DSCN0791.JPG
  • DSCN0794.JPG

#42 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 05:21 AM

That's funny , the order I uploaded them is different then what  are now shown ,  the first picture was supposed to be of the rye grass before cutting and the second was after plowing lol

Edited by Alc, June 04, 2014 - 05:22 AM.