• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 09:41 AM

When it comes to head gaskets, I guess I could be considered anal then. I would never reuse a head gasket, for the few dollars one cost, why not go new?.

I always check my head but using a sheet of sandpaper and a sheet of glass. Tape the paper down and start cross sanding, from one corner to the opposite corner, then switch. This can take minuets, or hours to get a perfectly flat surface. Depends how bad it was when you started.

In your current state, it's a crap shoot if it will last, and for how long? This would drive me crazy.....I'd have it apart an the head flattened out , and a new gasket installed before buttoning everything up to at least you did everything right to lessen your chances of failed.

Your tractor, your call.

That why I'm taking it to get work on.

#32 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 10:12 AM

When it comes to head gaskets, I guess I could be considered anal then. I would never reuse a head gasket, for the few dollars one cost, why not go new?.

I agree with you about reusing a head gasket. Your not anal. The problem is some of us live without the parts needed close at hand and have to make do with what's available.

• motobreeder said thank you

#33 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 11:02 AM

How many of you have ever had a head gasket THAT YOU INSTALLED on one of our little air cooled engines fail?

I have taken in some motors over the years with bad head gaskets - unknown history/repairs/can't say what happened. And one that I DID that failed because of a bad head (gas cut from previous blown gasket) - I figured it wasn't going to work but did it anyway (ohh to be young and stupid again....). But thinking back, I don't remember ever having a gasket fail (on an air cooled engine) because of the gasket - either a new one or a reused one!

Usually, when they DO fail, its a warped head or wrong torque (too high is just as bad as too low...). Less likely, would be poor surface prep/install or using a gasket that was beyond its lifespan. 

The design of these engines (large squish bands, low compression, lots of studs/fasteners) make them pretty hardy and forgiving of minor imperfections. Multiple in-line cylinders and water cooled engines are more critical of the gasket and require more attention/precision.

"My opinion" - If you have the mechanical ability to take the head off and LOOK at the head gasket/mating surfaces ( :D ), you can tell if the gasket is re-usable. Gaskets don't "wear out" and will usually be fine unless damaged in removal. Prep and checking for other issues is critical though. 

Nothing wrong with going with "new" and erring on the safe side, but I don't think it is always REQUIRED.

BTW - gaskets aren't always cheap anymore - a set of oem gaskets for a magnum will run around $60!!! You can get them cheaper, but that's the price through kohler...

#34 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 08:46 PM

Can't recall a head gasket install that failed. Besides a poor head design I think the most common cause of head gasket failures is not keeping the head bolts properly torqued. 

#35 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 09:45 PM

Due to the weather I can't take it to get worked on so I'm going to try working on it again.

#36 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted March 01, 2015 - 09:43 AM

I thinking about ordering this http://www.ebay.com/...=item339e8d0914