• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 05:48 PM

Well, it was 15 degrees this morning and I spent an hour and a half plowing the driveway. All went well and I parked it by the shed with plans to put it away later in the day. Anyway, I got bored, so I decided to plow a path into the woods so that I could get to a couple of ash trees for firewood. The ash bore Beatles got to the trees, so no sense in leaving them stand. I got the path cleared with the Allis, but the 16 inches of snow was tough to clear. I really worked it hard, but got it done and headed back to the shed to get the chainsaw. I hooked up the wagon, started the Allis, and it went three feet and stopped moving. I thought the drive belt broke until I heard the flywheel hitting the blower housing. The flywheel key sheared, and I wasn't about to pull the engine in these temps to fix it.
I wanted to get at least one tree cut down and hauled out, so I uncovered the '62 Squire and it fired right up. I had no problems with the Squire, and one ash tree is cut, split, and stacked. So now I have to pull the engine on the Allis and replace the key, pull the engine on the '64 Landlord and remove the mouse nest, and put some gas in the Squire for the next round. I just finished up for the day and the thermometer is at 6 degrees.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150215_111702-1.jpg
  • 20150215_165105.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 9 others have said thanks

#2 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 662 Thanks
  • 405 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 05:51 PM

Well that stinks about the Allis. Great to have a backup machine. Neat shed you have there.

Mike

• boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#3 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 05:52 PM

Not good about the allis but at least you got your work done!

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 05:56 PM

Backup tractors are always a good thing. Hope you didn't hurt anything else with that loose flywheel!

• boyscout862, superaben and classic have said thanks

#5 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 06:10 PM

That's a nice family of GTs you have classic.

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 06:20 PM

Actually, I just got to thinking about what happened to the Allis, and I'm thinking that the flywheel hub bolts must have sheared off. The engine was running, but the front driveshaft hub was not moving. The jingling I heard must have been the flywheel nut keeper plate. Pulling the engine to make repairs is simple on these machines, so I just have to make the time to do it.
I built the shed a year ago from last fall, and I'll be finishing it up when the weather breaks. My Uncle milled the pine trees I hauled out of the nearby woods. We spent a few weeks milling the lumber in my yard with his old Woodmizer saw mill. It's the first Gambrel roof I attempted, and it wasn't too hard. I followed a design with three ridge beams that I saw online. Framing the roof by myself was the hardest part of the job, since the lumber was still green and heavy.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 06:23 PM

Just one unrelated question about your pictures. That shed in back looks new, yet also seems it is NOT on the ground and is tilted??  Camera angle?  My eyes?   Country Squire, really an Economy, of course it can do the work! Heh! Power of the "Orange".

• classic said thank you

#8 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 06:33 PM

The shed sits on block piers, buried 4 feet. The shed sits level, but it's built on a slope and my camera angle doesn't help any. The MW Squire is small, but got the job done. I hung some wheel weights on the stinger to get better traction in the snow. I wasn't about to try getting tire chains on it since I was running out of daylight. I'm hoping to have the '56 PK done for this heavy work next year.

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,809 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 08:43 PM

Ouch !!!!!!! to fkn cold to be out there messing with a broken tractor.  Glad to see you are getting your wood in, I called the guy today for more wood.  I will be out in two weeks if I don't get more.  good to have extra tractors hanging around !!!

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 09:04 PM

They said it was going to be real cold today, but I've been out in this crap all winter and I'm getting use to it. We're making repairs at work to get ready for the busy season, and it's mostly outside work. There's another big ash tree that has alot of firewood in it, and I'll be dropping that one on my next day off. I've lost track of how much wood I've burned this year, but man it was alot. I like the challenge, HA!

#11 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 04:56 PM

I pulled the engine today and found that the bolts sheared off in the flywheel for the driveshaft hub. I just have to drill them out and run a tap through the holes. The flywheel nut came loose when the bolts sheared, but luckily the flywheel didn't come loose and sheer the key. Simple fix, but a pain in the ass.
  • Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 05:11 PM

Glad it wasn't any worse!

• classic said thank you

#13 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 05:25 PM

Thanks Kenny, guess I got lucky. I bought a '64 landlord that had the same bolts sheared off and the previous owner just left it where it sat. Powering a tractor off of the flywheel is a crappy design if you ask me. It's fine for mowing, but I haul alot of weight and plowing deep snow really puts alot of strain on those two little 3/8 bolts. The '56 Power King and the '48 Mighty Mite will take over the bull work next year.

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 05:29 PM

I can understand that!

• classic said thank you

#15 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 06:00 PM

It's not the first time I pushed something to the breaking point, but how else do you figure out how hard you can work a machine, HA! My old Stihl 036 was starving for gas yesterday and wouldn't run at full throttle. I replaced the fuel line, fuel filter, and spark plug today and also cleaned the carb twice. The darn thing still ran the same, and the chainsaw guy at the hardware store was off today. Another employee couldn't figure out what carb rebuild kit or complete carb that I needed. I gave him the part numbers for both, but he was still having trouble and said to call back tomorrow. Crap, I needed to use the saw this afternoon. I pulled the carb apart for the 3rd time, but this time I removed the tiny screen fuel strainer. It looked clean, but took on a white haze as the fuel on it dried. I held the screen up to the light and sure enough, the screen was 80% clogged. I cleaned it with a Q'tip and gun cleaning solvent in a small cup and that did the trick! The saw runs like new again and I got the rest of the ash tree cut up and hauled out.Here's a pic of the crap in the carb from when I first took it apart.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150216_103152-1.jpg

Edited by classic, February 16, 2015 - 06:01 PM.