• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 04:12 PM

Finally got some snow, maybe 2.5 inches so I got some seat time finally!  While I did enjoy it, the eng. kept faltering, would have to stop, sit til it stopped.  Even at idle it would do it.  I'm not a small eng. mechanic as bad as I have tried, I'm at wits end.  I'm almost ready to pull it in the garage and strip it down to nothing and do the e-bay thing.  Has new front/rear tires, darn near $600 alone, rims were sand blasted and painted, they look great.  Have belly mower but last I checked the blades would not turn.  Snow blower works great when the eng. can keep running decent.  Elec. Clutch is non operable so it is tack welded, blower runs full time (dangerous).  3-point and PTO

I have noticed on local craig's list ppl want them for free but try to sell high.  I don't want to bother.  IF anyone is interested near ND, make me an offer, I won't give it away, I have bout a grand in it.  I figure I can get more through e-bay. 

Yea, I'm fed up and want a new one with loader.  Sorry bout rant.

• Rockytop said thank you

#2 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 05:31 PM

Sorry to hear your not having much luck with it. My first 1655 was like that. Turned out all it needed was a new carb and points. Well and a breather screw removed from behind a valve. These tractors are worth the $ and patients IMHO.

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#3 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 12:26 AM

Where are you located in ND?

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#4 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 10:33 AM

Finally got some snow, maybe 2.5 inches so I got some seat time finally!  While I did enjoy it, the eng. kept faltering, would have to stop, sit til it stopped.  Even at idle it would do it.  I'm not a small eng. mechanic as bad as I have tried, I'm at wits end.  I'm almost ready to pull it in the garage and strip it down to nothing and do the e-bay thing.  Has new front/rear tires, darn near $600 alone, rims were sand blasted and painted, they look great.  Have belly mower but last I checked the blades would not turn.  Snow blower works great when the eng. can keep running decent.  Elec. Clutch is non operable so it is tack welded, blower runs full time (dangerous).  3-point and PTO

I have noticed on local craig's list ppl want them for free but try to sell high.  I don't want to bother.  IF anyone is interested near ND, make me an offer, I won't give it away, I have bout a grand in it.  I figure I can get more through e-bay. 

Yea, I'm fed up and want a new one with loader.  Sorry bout rant.

Mine did that.  Turns out it was a slight fuel restriction.  It'd be worth doing the simple things first.  Clean the tank, run new fuel line, and maybe install a little electric pump.  Put some new points, plugs, and wires if you've not done it recently, and consider adding one of the Kirk's transistorized points eliminators.  Just doing those things really made a difference in mine!

These older tractors just need a little loving...but it's hardly anything major or expensive.  They just get starved for attention, and need a little petting now and then :)

• massey driver, limebuzz, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#5 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 06:29 PM

Where are you located in ND?

Bout 30 miles west of Grand Forks.

#6 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 06:35 PM

I've had a couple members contact me about buying my Snapper.  As aggravated as I am with this gt, I am going to have to wait some time before I can mess with it or decide if I'm going to sell it.  I am leaving this weekend for Indiana, my mom has developed cancer and I am heading there to be a caregiver for a while.  Having this in the back of my mind is partly why I'm not taking problems so well right now, ie the gt not working well.  If I do eventually decide to sell it, I will give y'all first chance at it.  I may just try to find a small eng. mechanic to fix it, I just don't know what I'm doing right now.  Thanks y'all.

• limebuzz, Sawdust and ENafziger have said thanks

#7 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 12:03 AM

First thing to do is take the cover off the air breather and make sure all 3 screws are still holding breather in place Several people including myself  have had these lose a screw down through the carb and get stuck in valve causing the tractors to run like garbage

• limebuzz and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 09:22 AM

I know a member in indiana looking for one. Drag it with you he would probably buy it. 

Sorry to hear about your mom and health issues. 

• limebuzz and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#9 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 09:25 AM

Praying for you and your Mom.
  • limebuzz, ENafziger and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#10 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 01:57 PM

I know a member in indiana looking for one. Drag it with you he would probably buy it. 

Don't think Delta would be able to tow it  I'm flying, cheaper than driving my diesel.

• TAHOE said thank you

#11 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 02:04 PM

I checked the screws once, was missing a screw.  Found it lodged behind a valve, fixed that.  This is a different problem.  It purrs like a kitten at idle, runs pretty good at throttle until a load is put on it then it runs like a cyl. is dead.  I have new plugs, wires, coil, fuel lines, elec. fuel pump on it.  I have removed the top of the carb and cleaned out what I could see without removing the carb.  It could be not getting enough fuel at speeds but I have no idea how to adjust the float as I've never done it.  I've also heard the intake manifold could have a crack causing it, and who knows what else.  When I get back home I may drag it to a small eng. guy I know but that he lives an hour away.  I feel a road trip coming on.

Thanks for the good thoughts about mom.

• limebuzz said thank you

#12 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 02:23 PM

You can find a service manual in our manuals section that will explain the carb. adjustment.  You should have a DD (Double D) on there.

Manifolds have been know to leak at the seams.  Check high speed adjustment screw for correct setting.  I have seen points cause very similar symptoms.  Also had ignition switch cause the same thing.  wiggle the key at idle and see if it loses spark or hook a jumper for B+ to the B side of the coil and see if things improve.

• limebuzz, adolphsson09 and ENafziger have said thanks

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 07:30 AM

It might be a plug wire if it's only doing it under load. I've had that happen many times on car engines!