10 replies to this topic

#1 3v0 OFFLINE  

3v0
  • Member No: 26648
  • 79 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 02:40 PM

Homelite T-16

At coffee the other day one of the guys took me out and showed me this AC built T-16.  I brushed the dust off part of the hood and the paint looks like it has been kept inside.   The word is that it is well cared for and was running some time ago. There is also a rototiller and a single shank cultivator of some sort.  Looks like a single shank chisel plow.

What is a reasonable offer?  Or what is an unreasonable offer?  I know factors like location and such enter into this but there has to be some place to start. 

Where is the serial number tag on these tractors ?

Homelite T-16 engine
Homelite T-16 grill

• hamman said thank you

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 03:21 PM

:welcometogttalk:  Thanks for the photos.

The single shank item might be a potato plow/digger.

Like this (on the left)

20141227_104232_zpsvbcbooaa.jpg

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 03:25 PM

That's a nice looking Homelite. Does it run? You should get it running and see how it sounds. If it runs good and doesn't smoke and drives ok with the tiller and cultivator and mower deck it's probably worth $ 350.00. DEPENDING !!!!! as you said on location and demand. Does the tiller have a mule drive for it also? What does he want for it??  Would be a good buy I think.   Let us know if you get it.                                                                                         Roger.

• 3v0 said thank you

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 03:27 PM

OOPS I forgot. The ID tag will be on the frame right below the Hydro lever as you are sitting on the tractor.                                     Roger.

• 3v0 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,780 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 03:31 PM

Zippo Varga does a series of videos on YouTube that explains things to inspect on these tractors. AC, Homelite, Simplicity, and some Wards are the same. The manual for that is in the "others" section of our Manuals Section.  Good Luck, Rick

• hamman and 3v0 have said thanks

#6 3v0 OFFLINE  

3v0
  • 79 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 04:11 PM

Found 2 more images

Homelite T-16
Homelite T-16

I downloaded the manual (thanks)
As far as I know the tractor and attachments are as they were when lasted used so I would expect the mule drive to be there.
The one shank thing is to the left of the tiller. The tool end is up and it is what we used to call a chisel plow.  But then we also called sweeps 'duck feet'.

The deceased owner's wife recently died and the family is in mourning.  It is still a bit early to ask if they want to sell it.

As for running, in theory it does.  I think I turned the engine by hand.  Starting the engine is a double edged proposition in that once I prove it runs they may want more.  And there is the possibility someone in the family may want to keep it.   If that happens there is a chance they will get frustrated with it not starting for them and change their mind about selling it.

I have 5 or 6 other old lawn and garden tractors in various states.  It would be nice to get one the was loved.  It would also be my first tractor with a hydraulic lift and I need a tiller. 

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 04:19 PM

I don't think it has a hydro lift. The lift on my three are electric. I would say the if they want you to offer offer them the $ 350.00 and then go from there. For that tractor and attachments I don't think you could go wrong. If they are in mourning you might want to wait. Depends on how well you know them.   Good Luck.

Roger.

• 3v0 said thank you

#8 3v0 OFFLINE  

3v0
  • 79 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 05:59 PM

I don't think it has a hydro lift. The lift on my three are electric. I would say the if they want you to offer offer them the $ 350.00 and then go from there. For that tractor and attachments I don't think you could go wrong. If they are in mourning you might want to wait. Depends on how well you know them.   Good Luck.
Roger.

Are the electric lifts serviceable? I expect it would need to be taken apart to clean and lube.
  • hamman said thank you

#9 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 06:36 PM

I haven't taken one apart but I believe you can service them. They usually are self contained.     I used to have a service bulletin on them. let me see if I can find it. Not sure if I still have it.                                                            Roger.

• 3v0 said thank you

#10 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 07:09 PM

I looked in my master book and don't have it. I loaned it out a few years ago and it was never returned. I believe there are some parts available for them yet thru Simplicity. Not a lot of them though.   Sorry.                                                                                                                                        Roger.

• 3v0 said thank you

#11 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 09:34 AM

The electric lift unit should be the same one used on Simplicity and Allis tractors for a decade.  They are serviceable, I believe.  They did not have a hydrolift option.  I would make sure the hydro pump is not leaky, and personally, would roll the dice on running condition (bet it does, with minimal maintenance), and offer about $600.  The tractor and tiller, cleaned up and running, should be a $1000 outfit, in that condition.  

These are kinda tough to find, and in nice original paint, very scarce.  Your has the rear lift option and the tiller drive is present.

I think most of these are used to mow or till, then one day begin to run like crap due to points, fuel obstruction etc.  The owner parks them and gets by on a box store mower, and then forgets to service the old machine...or, the problem worsens from lack of use and they give up all together.  Those are the ones to find.  I'd like to see you get in it for $300-400, but I'm a huge fan of these and would pay up to get it on my trailer.  Many buyers may not be as apt to do so, but the Homie's are my sweet spot.  In my opinion, they took the good points of a Simplicity and refined them, added the better features of the AC 300/400 design, and then made them gorgeous, to boot.  They are a better built tractor all around, than a Simplicity of the era.  I tore into two of mine once, to pull out the rear lift and swap it over, and was very impressed with the additional detail put into everything I had to disassemble to get the job done.

You know where it is, and it doesn't sound like it's going anywhere.  Be patient, and when the time is right, make your case for giving it a great new home,and bringing it back into service.  Good luck!

Here is my T-16H...Similar story.  Found in the deceased Old Man's barn, having not run in years...his son finally decided to sell Dad's GT's and wanted them to go to a good home.

http://gardentractor...homelite-t-16h/

• hamman said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: homelite