• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 marylandgt20 OFFLINE  

marylandgt20
  • Member No: 67543
  • 20 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 09:49 PM

yeah, i took those pics without touching the paint.

and sorry jd, just noticed your question.  yes it has the rear pto.  i figured it was standard on all of these

• larisaPn said thank you

#17 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,567 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 04:52 AM

The rear pto was an add on option. 

#18 Natureboy OFFLINE  

Natureboy
  • Member No: 49649
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 04:35 PM

Like Shorty said, rear PTO was an option and they are not easy to find right now. Congrats on the tractor, looks like a brute. Take the time to download the manuals and do the work yourself. Ariens dealers nowadays don't seem to be trained on the old GT's, unless you find one that has an old timer in the shop. Besides, once you start taking it apart you will appreciate just how well they are built.

Edited by Natureboy, February 18, 2015 - 04:36 PM.

#19 marylandgt20 OFFLINE  

marylandgt20
  • 20 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 05:25 PM

ok, i didnt realize that.  Well tractor has front and rear pto, hydraulic deck, power steering, (which i always remember having a distinct noisy sound)

i know my father didnt add the pto and it must have been done at the dealer.  He paid around $7k for the tractor new in 1986-1987 if i remember correctly.  If anyone has any questions or curious to see specific pics i can take them.  Just be patient, i am learning as i go and new to tractors

• Texas Deere and Horse and shorty have said thanks

#20 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 07:59 PM

Welcome to GTtalk glad to have you. That's a very nice tractor with a great story. I agree about doing the work yourself if you have the time. I would down load your manuals do some research on it & start checking things out. It's amazing how a lot of these sit for so long just waiting for someone to wake them up. The paint & graphics look good too. Thanks for sharing your memories & keep us to date on your progress.

#21 TDNeurau OFFLINE  

TDNeurau
  • Member No: 67798
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 02:06 PM

Looks like a great tractor and even better you know the history!

I too have been curious about tire treads.  The turf tires I have don't cut through the snow for me, even with the 75 wheel weights.  I've been thinking about changing the complete wheel and tire during seasons.  

Has anybody found a good snow tire that is reasonably priced?

#22 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 02:36 PM

mine came with brand new  Carlisle V bar tread tires on it, I have no weight in the tires, on the wheels or hanging out back, yet.  Not real optimistic w/o extra weight but I have yet to be able to try and push any snow wth it just yet, just finally got it all back together and usable.

#23 Natureboy OFFLINE  

Natureboy
  • Member No: 49649
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 01:16 PM

WW fluid with 2 link chains and your weights will push the turf tires thru snow and over ice.

#24 Yvon Bastien OFFLINE  

Yvon Bastien
  • Member No: 67981
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 09:02 AM

i am looking to restore the ariens gt20 i inherited from my father and my searches led me here.  The tractor does have some meaning to me and id like to get some use from it for years to come.  My father bought this from a local ariens dealer new back in 1987 i believe.  It is serial# 000269 with a 60 inch mowing deck.  I remember riding this around and cutting grass back in the late 1980's as a kid.

It has sat for over 10 years covered in a shed but the paint and everything else so far has seemed to hold up well.  I dont recall my father ever having or using any attachments for this tractor but i plan on getting a rototiller and maybe a snowthrower down the road. 

I do have to replace the tires anyway so i see people using a more aggressive tire when using a plow or rototiller so any help on the best tires or best tires/rims/weights would be where i need to start.

I am new to these tractors and the forums so i apologize in advance if i word something wrong.  The tractor does fire up and run smooth after all this time.

I have one it works great with snow plow , trailer, wheiths for rear wheel, cabin, ect all the books for it , i would seel it 

#25 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 09:27 AM

we do have a "for sale" section,  where a bouts is Gatineau?  that would help if you are serious about selling.

Also let us know if it is a "package deal only" or whether you would consider selling the attachments and accessories separate from the tractor.

#26 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 10:33 AM

we do have a "for sale" section,  where a bouts is Gatineau?  that would help if you are serious about selling.

Also let us know if it is a "package deal only" or whether you would consider selling the attachments and accessories separate from the tractor.

Quebec.

#27 marylandgt20 OFFLINE  

marylandgt20
  • 20 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 03:48 PM

hey fellas, thanks for all the help and input so far.  I will keep this thread posted as i go but it will be awhile.  i have other large projects going on for the kids and their animals and working alot of overtime. 

As of now i wouldnt mind getting someone local to work on the tractor but i havent looked into it yet.  I am also still in the market for some attachments so anything with driving distance of maryland would be of interest.

Ill check back in soon

#28 marylandgt20 OFFLINE  

marylandgt20
  • 20 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted June 28, 2015 - 01:06 AM

so I decided to put the ariens in a pretty reputable shop with a guy who works on a lot of heavy equipment.  Its been about a month and I will pick it up in a few days.  Had him go through everything and replace all hydraulic lines.  New more aggressive tires all the way around and replaced ignition switch, new battery, tune up, etc.  Excited to get it back and see how it does.

Id like to get a rototiller and also some type of push blade for the front.  Any recommendations of what I should look for on these?  Just looking for what works best for this type of tractor.

Also what will I need to hook these attachments up?

I will post some pics soon 

Edited by marylandgt20, June 28, 2015 - 01:10 AM.

• olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#29 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,567 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted June 29, 2015 - 08:22 PM

Look for attachments that have a model number starting with 831. All of those will hook right on. For a blade, Ariens made a 54" that is a manual angle. If you could find one of those, it would be the easiest to hookup.

#30 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 04:59 PM

I am considering purchasing a gt20. How many hours on your machine. Was the mower deck gear box ever rebuilt! Did you grandfather have good luck with reliability?