Garden Tractor Forums banner

GOING TO BE REAL COLD TONIGHT

2K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  chieffan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi All. I was out early this morning (6:00 am) dropping my daughter off at the train station as she wanted to go to Montreal, everywhere I turned there where snow plows out in force, dropping salt or that solation that melts ice, its not snowing and we only expect light flurries today, I decided to check the weather network and low and behold (and I mean low !!!!) they are calling for -40 tonight and tomorrow, at that temp its the same in Celsius or fahrenheit. I think I will just make sure my vehicle's are gassed up and add some gas line antifreeze and hunker down with a good book, it also said that boston was to get possibly 2 more feet of snow, they have been really hammered this year.

#3 ·
I don't even think of starting a vehicle in anything lower than -30c.

Thinks just break when that cold. Unless of course it's a true emergency.

The wind has already swung to north up here. It was sw-w overnight, and

white out snow. Now the sky is clear. They're saying wind to 50km this aft.

Yep, that's going to be cold at sunset. We ( I mean they ) are have our

winter carnival today. I think I'll pass.

#6 ·
That's crazy cold ! How do you keep things going ? What kind of antifreeze would you need to keep from cracking engines ?
Never had a problem with cracking blocks. I think the rating is about -50c on the antifreeze.

When anywhere near -30c we always park stuff out of the wind.

I was talking to a guy earlier this week, who's son is waaaay up north in the NW Territories.

They had a true -65c, with out windchill. I think they just leave the engines running to keep

them alive.

#9 ·
Never had a problem with cracking blocks. I think the rating is about -50c on the antifreeze.

When anywhere near -30c we always park stuff out of the wind.

I was talking to a guy earlier this week, who's son is waaaay up north in the NW Territories.

They had a true -65c, with out windchill. I think they just leave the engines running to keep

them alive.
I don't think it makes any difference parking something out of the wind unless the engine is running since wind chill does not have any effect on the temperature of an item that does not create heat or at least that is my understanding.

I hope I never have to deal with those kinds of temps and if we get the -14 F they are calling for it will be the lowest temp that I remember.

#14 ·
I know a farmer who bought a skidsteer loader from down here and had it shipped to Canada. He keeps it, his front end loader tractor, and his truck running 24/7 when it is that cold. Otherwise he will never get those diesel engines started.

Ben W.

#18 ·
The weather guessers said 8* for last nights low. It was -10* when I got up. We may be in for a much worse time than forecast.

Questions about keeping warm. We use alot more heating fuel up here. We dress warmer. Insulated coveralls, knit hats, insulated gloves, and insulated boots are your best friends. You just learn to live around it.

When I worry about the temp of an engine, I cover the front of the vehicle with an old comforter, put an engine heater under the oil pan, and cover the front of the car with a tarp. I try to seal the tarp to the ground to keep breezes out on three sides. Under the car, I've used boxes to close it off. I have to do this with diesel tractors too. The best solution is a heated garage but its got a project in there right now.

If you are out in the cold, I suggest having some of the little heaters that activate when you take then out of their sealled package. They take 15 minutes to get going but then feel nice and warm for 8 hours. They can prevent frostbite. They go on sale here for 3$ for a package of 10 body size. Do not put them directly against your skin. Good Luck, Rick

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just throwing this out there for precautionary measures. About three weeks ago, one of the area farmers lost one of his barns full of antique tractors and vintage collectibles, due to a block heater malfunction. They're estimating it to be about $50,000 damage, and that's not including the tractors, since the tractor's weren't insured and couldn't be valued at the time. Apparently the block heater was covered with oil build up due to sitting below the oil pan of a leaky tractor, and the hot oil wouldn't allow the block heater to cool enough and eventually over heated and caught fire.

Although the temperatures are getting cold out, and most people will do what they can to keep warm, remember to use your head and don't panic. Use the devices as they are intended to be used, and always keep the "what if" factor in the back of your mind. Taking things for granted sometimes, can or could be very dangerous if not handled properly.

Stay warm everybody, and stay safe!

#20 ·
Always wondered about a big fire and loss. What could you do, but watch it and cry/swear at it? Then when it's all-over just walking around the smoldering, later rusting junk that is bent up and left or crushed. Giving stuff a kick or two and maybe grab something that didn't fair out too bad and thinking on saving it or hoping for more saves! Would be worse in house fire for sure. My shop would have lots of explosions to go thru also, gas tanks, gas cans, paints and thinners, TORCH tanks! Hard to imagine, but do think of it once in awhile. Metal scrapper would probly be happy! (Me Bad!)

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Always wondered about a big fire and loss. What could you do, but watch it and cry/swear at it? Then when it's all-over just walking around the smoldering, later rusting junk that is bent up and left or crushed. Giving stuff a kick or two and maybe grab something that didn't fair out too bad and thinking on saving it or hoping for more saves! Would be worse in house fire for sure. My shop would have lots of explosions to go thru also, gas tanks, gas cans, paints and thinners, TORCH tanks! Hard to imagine, but do think of it once in awhile. Metal scrapper would probly be happy! (Me Bad!)
You can get a policy to cover everything but, you have to pay extra. When I was building my house and some of the tractors had to stay here, I got an Inland Marine policy to cover all tractors. It was expensive but, the cost of the loss would have been hundreds of times more. Good Luck, Rick

BTW it warmed up to 25* and is snowing pretty good now.

#24 ·
My truck with the diesel motor has a factory installed block heater so when it gets really cold I just plug it in. I have even found when it is in the lower teens it makes it nice because the warm up much faster. I remember in the early 80s & we had cold snaps like this I had a steel grain scope that I would put charcoal in. I would light this & slide in under the oil for 30 to 45 minutes to get vehicles started.

Charlie

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
My truck with the diesel motor has a factory installed block heater so when it gets really cold I just plug it in. I have even found when it is in the lower teens it makes it nice because the warm up much faster. I remember in the early 80s & we had cold snaps like this I had a steel grain scope that I would put charcoal in. I would light this & slide in under the oil for 30 to 45 minutes to get vehicles started.

Charlie
One of my antique auto accessories is a Sears engine kerosene fired heater from the 1920s. It is basically an old style kerosene roadside flare with a perforated can over it. I wonder how many fires they started when there was a gasoline leak. I only use my magnetic heater or an 80w drop light. An old banket over the top makes it more effective. Good Luck, Rick

#26 ·
On the insurance be careful with attached garages if you use it for a workshop. When I bought my last house with an attached garage I mentioned my welder and cutting torch to my realtor and he said not to let my insurance man know about that. Apparently they get upset over things like that in attached or basement garages.
In the event of fire it is what you are covered for that will pay out. This is where the fine print that folks don't read comes to bite them in the butt. Underwriting has no problem informing claimant "too bad, so sad, cause of fire is not covered by policy" Many people just don't get it until their house/buildings are smouldering on the ground and the policy is null and void due to cause of fire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.