• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,790 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 11:31 PM

You may find it cheaper to pick up an old B10. The old AC/Simplicitys will give you the best cut and they are plentifull and usually a good value. Good Luck, Rick

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#17 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 11:33 PM

I have used both a 48" deck and a 54" deck on an HT20 and an HT23. The cut quality on the 48" deck was far superior to that of the 54" deck. IMO, Bolens failed to gear the 54" deck to spin the blades fast enough. The blade tip speed seems to be too slow.

There were 48" decks that will fit an 1886. Those are the 18049-04/07 decks. According to the Bolens Service Seminar listing, they will fit the 1886's without changes, i.e. the brackets and linkages supplied with the deck will work.

The 18048 48" deck will not work. The 18049-01/03 48" deck will not work. So the final answer is "It depends". Is the seller able to tell you which deck, and what model number they are selling?

And of course, any of the 54" decks for the later Large Frames will work.

Edited by LPBolens, February 13, 2015 - 11:34 PM.

• OldBuzzard, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#18 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 11:58 PM

Thanks LP for the info,always learning something,just when you think you got it figured out,something else turns up, good to know for the future

• WrenchinOnIt and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 03:59 AM

The mower decks for these large frames are very heavy duty.
You could bust rocks and grade dirt with them!
They are welded up plates not stamped sheet metal like your cub.
Cubs are known for rotting out quick.

The little I used my 54" deck, I wouldn't particluly recommend it.
It would be fine for large flat areas. But, not for most yards. It's just too big!
$180 is a reasonable price as, most people don't use these machines for mowers.

As Boyscout said, I would get a older Simplicity. They made the best mower decks out there.
And, they are still in business!

Joe
  • blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#20 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 10:14 AM

Couldn't sleep last night,was doing some thinking about this deck deal,LP I'm guessing it had to do with when they made the frame change on the 1886,correct ?,the same reason you can't use the early LF tiller on the HT's,does that sound right to you

#21 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 10:44 AM

Just for some helpful info, the 48" decks won't work on the 1886,the mounting brackets are different ,there to short

Its mostly only the two arms that have a bend that are short If he could get those two arms off a 54 deck any 48 will work.

Pretty sure 48" decks were not offered for the 1886 and beyond in the LF's. Not saying if your a handy fab man you couldn't make a 48" work

48 Decks were offered in the late 70s for the HT20s I have a 48 deck from a HT20 I have ran on a 1476.   

Doc is right & I've seen em ground down considerably and still being used, IMO cutting grass wasn't a LF's strong suit, but they'll get the job done( quality of cut). Oregon ( pretty sure it was them) offered a blade that fit, it is NLA. I believe it's Oregon blades that an older dealer has a quantity of. Will take one and compare then go from there.

I have looked into making the blades I would like 100 sets to be sold before I put a order in. 

They are a bit of a bulldog and do scalp a bit over uneven terrain. My uncle has a 1250 and always complained of scalping on his hilly terrain.

Oregon did make the blade sets as well as other manufactures , there may be some oldstock out there but all main warehouses are empty.

The manufacture still has the tooling for these blades but needs a 5,000 piece minimum order to make them again when I called them.

5,000 blades?  How much a blade was that?

Couldn't sleep last night,was doing some thinking about this deck deal,LP I'm guessing it had to do with when they made the frame change on the 1886,correct ?,the same reason you can't use the early LF tiller on the HT's,does that sound right to you

The early large frame tiller not fitting has to do with the up right arms hitting the frames on the 1886s-05 on up tractors.  If you had the arms from a HT tiller on a older tiller it would work on a HT.   The newer tiller for HTs will work on all large frames if you have the right drive shaft. 

• Bolens 1000 and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#22 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 10:51 AM

I have over a dozen 54 decks and around six 48 decks the 48 is a much better cutting deck.   I use a 54 for weekly mowing and if you keep up with the grass so it don't get to tall the 54 will do the job.  Both decks do scalp but I fixed that on the decks I use by putting wheels on the front to let them ride and float on the ground.  

Both the 54 and 48 are stamped decks the 54 is stamped out of some very thick metal I forget what it off the top of my head.

If you were not so far away I sell you one of my 54s.  

Here another one for you guys you can run a 54 on a 12/14HP large frame but the deck hits the back wheels when lifted and they just dont have the power to run them...  

• Bolens 1000 and Rock farmer have said thanks

#23 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 11:36 AM

As far as I have been able to guess, it has to do with the frame change, as you suggest, Rick.
  • blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#24 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 05:37 PM

The upright arms are exactly was what I was talking about,thats why the early tiller won't work on the HT,it has to do with the rear frame being longer,the arms hit

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, February 14, 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#25 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 07:49 AM

I have used both a 48" deck and a 54" deck on an HT20 and an HT23. The cut quality on the 48" deck was far superior to that of the 54" deck. IMO, Bolens failed to gear the 54" deck to spin the blades fast enough. The blade tip speed seems to be too slow.There were 48" decks that will fit an 1886. Those are the 18049-04/07 decks. According to the Bolens Service Seminar listing, they will fit the 1886's without changes, i.e. the brackets and linkages supplied with the deck will work.The 18048 48" deck will not work. The 18049-01/03 48" deck will not work. So the final answer is "It depends". Is the seller able to tell you which deck, and what model number they are selling?And of course, any of the 54" decks for the later Large Frames will work.

Sold a friend a 23 w/54" deck, he didn't like the cut, attributed it to not enough blade speed as well. He put smaller diameter pulleys on the blade shafts and said it made a considerable difference. I believe he said they were from a Gravely, but not sure. I don't use any of mine for mowing duties , so I never pursued it. If any interest I will get all the details.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#26 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 09:06 AM

Sold a friend a 23 w/54" deck, he didn't like the cut, attributed it to not enough blade speed as well. He put smaller diameter pulleys on the blade shafts and said it made a considerable difference. I believe he said they were from a Gravely, but not sure. I don't use any of mine for mowing duties , so I never pursued it. If any interest I will get all the details.

Now that would be interesting to know! The belt length would probably change too. Maybe we could correct the Bolens oversight.
  • blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#27 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 09:22 AM

Agreed, any of the large frame decks are super heavy duty. You can't even pick one up you need to move it around on the rear wheels. They are built to last. The price you state is a good price if that deck is complete without rust holes in it. 

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#28 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

TokyoDrift99
  • Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 01:49 PM

Ok thanks for all the help guys. I can't believe all the responses I got!  Anyways I guess I will either just keep looking for a 48" deck, a different deck for the cub, or a whole different gt. I like the Simplicity idea, but I am not the only one who mows the lawn and a hydro is greatly preferred for mowing. I have no problem using a manual to mow, but I don't know if it would be the best choice. Does anybody have any experience with Ingersoll, or John Deere cut quality? 

#29 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8230
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 05:40 PM

I know they're not cheap, but what do you guys think of the Meg-Mo option? Anyone have any experience with it? I think they can make them for any application. There are twice as many cutting edges and replacement knives (blades) are only $7.95 each. Of course there would be 12 of them on a 3 blade deck like the large frame 54". Another advantage is that they are available, whereas you'd be lucky to find the normal blades for the large frame deck. I also like the swinging knife idea, which prevents damage when you hit something. Plus, it mulches!

The Meg-Mo system has always intrigued me and I've been considering investing in one. I just need to get my deck leveled out, as it has the notorious drooping forward edge. Check it out.

Home page:

http://www.meg-mo.com/

Video: