Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 12:50 AM

I would avoid this guy like the plague.

Best rule of thumb is as everyone else has said so far. If he won't call to talk it out, let him walk.

I always call to discuss a deal, and learn "who you are" before I deal, there are a lot of nuts out there.

I will tell a funny story. I was dealing with a seller on an 1979 dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 with stepside bed (this is key to the story). He only communicates through text due to his long work hours which is understandable. So I asked him if the stepside bed was original to the truck or if it had been swapped onto it and if the truck was really half ton or if it was actually 3/4 ton with a swapped bed. He replied that the stepside bed on the truck was the original because they (dodge) never made a 3/4 ton stepside truck. I responded that people swap truck beds all the time for various reasons (I have done a couple myself). So I asked what color the truck was and if he had pictures. He told me it was blue and he would send a picture in the morning. I received a picture the following day as he said, and the truck was blue from the front bumper to the back of the cab... with a red stepside bed... so I never texted him back.

Too good to be true? Not sure, but if he leaves out the obvious, what else is he hiding.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, February 14, 2015 - 12:52 AM.

• tinbender7, Traill95 and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 01:25 AM

I always call to discuss a deal, and learn "who you are" before I deal, there are a lot of nuts out there.

Heck George-  there's a lot of Nuts in here!!!   :hitting_self_roller:  :tapping_fingers:

:bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

• wvbuzzmaster, tinbender7, shorty and 1 other said thanks

#18 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,558 Thanks
  • 3,937 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 04:37 AM

Heck George-  there's a lot of Nuts in here!!!   :hitting_self_roller:  :tapping_fingers:

:bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

Different flavor though. :smilewink:  :D  :smilewink:

• tinbender7 and Traill95 have said thanks

#19 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 06:22 AM

He may be legit, but if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't deal with him until he actually calls and talks with you.

You can get a 'feel' for someone by talking to them.  With text and email you can't.

#20 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 06:52 AM

I have had good luck as well. But if he texted you, search the number, most of the time the number shows up - good and/ or bad. If the number looks legit. Then a phone conversation and I get a name and town next. Another Google search on the name and city provides more info. You can do deals with PayPal and shipping, just need to be cautious and look for anything that does not sound right. Too good to be true, is usually too good to be true. Good luck!

#21 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 07:04 AM

I vote scam.  Paypal gives a buyer 30 (?) days to file a dispute.  Once they do, Paypal pulls the money back from your account until the dispute is settled.  That means you need to spend time & money proving buddy picked it up & that it was exactly as described in the ad.  In the end, buddy gets your tractor for free.  Tell him to paypal his third party shipper who can then give you the cash on pick up.  

• grnspot110, tinbender7, Traill95 and 2 others have said thanks

#22 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 07:40 AM

You might want to look over this article

https://craigslistpo...m/pay-pal-scam/
  • tinbender7, Traill95 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#23 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for your replies.
I am not going to sell this tractor via a PyaPal payment and shipper pickup.
Chuck
  • tinbender7, Traill95, EricR and 1 other said thanks

#24 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 07:49 AM

I get one of these every single time i post and add messaging a guys right now on it on eof those in the army deals wont be home the paypal and shipper deal.  i have even had the same number do it twice cause i never  deleted the messages.  I dont get it why people have so much time on there hands to talk to people.  If your gonna try and scam someone try something different... jk

If you repeat the scam numerous times daily your bait will get set eventually,,,and if you are persistent you should be able to set the hook frequently. That's why the same MO. JMHO

On this deal I would sell the same as I purchase on these long distance deals.. Down payment on paypal( 10 to 20%). Cash on pickup. Shipper should be on the buyers dime and seller should only expect to possibly help load if necessary.

• Traill95 and Sawdust have said thanks

#25 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 07:51 AM

I think you are being smart.

• Traill95 and Sawdust have said thanks

#26 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 08:48 AM

Maybe I am missing something here...

Once the money shows up in MY PayPal account, there is NO way the buyer can take his money back...Or at least that is what I thnik.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

• Traill95 said thank you

#27 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 09:34 AM

The only way a buyer can immediately get their money back in PayPal is if it's listed unclaimed. After that they can file a dispute & PayPal will try to get their money refunded. In most cases the deal is over but if they can prove a bogus dispute the sellers money can be held until resolved. Another problem for a seller is if the buyers credit or debit card protection kicks in the seller is in trouble. During all this confusion or scam the seller in this case has no tractor & his money is out there in cyber space somewhere. I use PayPal at least 3-5 times a week selling & buying & have heard it all. In today's society it doesn't hurt to add a little caution even if you don't see the scam most of the time a person can feel it.

Edited by Sawdust, February 14, 2015 - 09:35 AM.

• Traill95 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#28 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 09:43 AM

I would too say avoid it and the big flag I would watch for is them wanting to send the funds as a "gift" which removed the seller's protection in the transaction. 

• MH81 and Traill95 have said thanks

#29 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 09:56 AM

Chuck, I buy stuff all over the country using PayPal from individuals. I have never had an issue, but I always talk to them at some point before completing the deal. Have them call you and talk about the deal first, then make your mind up on whether to do the deal or not. Buyers get excited about finding things and can get over anxious about doing the deal. Good Luck.
  • Lauber1 and Traill95 have said thanks

#30 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,574 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 10:39 AM

You might want to look over this article

https://craigslistpo...m/pay-pal-scam/

This was very interesting. I learned a couple of things about Paypal that I will investigate later. I need to know who you are and where you are before I will ship anything. I do not accept checks when it is just as easy for you to bring cash. If you want to send a shipper with a check it isn't going to happen. I had a guy that wanted to buy my  motorcycle but he was at sea so he was going to send me a certified check and then send someone to pick it up. I told him to have the guy picking it up bring cash. I never heard from him again.

• MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks