• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 08:05 AM

We have been having a big snow storm and small snow falls each week. The fourth big storm will be starting tomorrow afternoon and running through Sunday. I've had 3 storms totalling 50"+ which has compacted down to about 2'. They say Boston has had 72"+ and is spending way past their budget.

The temperature is 3* and the windchill is -12*. I'm hoping for a sunny day so that the solar heating can help the house. It is 62* inside right now and I'm letting the wood furnace go out so that I can clean it and the chimney in preparation for the coming storm. One of the power companies is so worried that they have prepositioned generators for maintaining power.

The price of oil is down but people are having to use alot more than usual. This is going to end up being a fianancially hard winter for people in my area. The cost of heating may be a bit lower but the cost of snow removel has gone way up. My driveway would probably have cost $100 to $200 per plowing and I would have probably have spent about $750 by now if I had one of the local guys doing my driveway. Instead, I have my tractor and shovel. I've spent about 14 hours seat time and about 5 hours shovel time so far.

I'm doing a better job than someone else could and I'm saving about $50 per hour for my tractor time. I spent $500 on parts and maintenance supplies this year and she has already paid me back.

I guess that I'm being long winded but I wanted to point out that our hobby saves money, gives us independance, and lets us set the quality level of our driveway surface. Good Luck, Rick

Update at 1200hrs : its is sunny, 12* outside with -4* windchill, inside has warmed up to 72* just on solar gain. Hopefully I won't have to light the furnace until tomorrow. @1700 outside is the same and the temp inside peaked at 74* but is now down to 70*.  At 0630 this morning it is -10* outside and 60* inside so I fired up the woodstoves.

Edited by boyscout862, February 14, 2015 - 06:58 AM.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 15 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 08:10 AM

Good luck to all you folks up that way! You guys are really getting hammered! Glad the tractor is helping you out!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 08:13 AM

It sounds like your tractor has been a good investment for you. I gave up paying someone else to plow about 10 years ago. At that point it was costing me 60$ a shot and although the contractor was reliable he still left me with up to 2 hours of shovelling to do in order to clear the space where the cars park and turn around etc. I'm sure it would be much higher now. We keep getting snow every 2-3 days, although mostly it's only 2-4" at a time. It does add up though and a big storm is headed our way for Sat. night into Sunday. A Nor'easter. I've learned to respect that type of storm. It is usually unpredictable as to intensity and often involves large, fast temperature swings and high winds. No fun at all. 

• Alc, KennyP, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 08:36 AM

This would be alot easier if I had gotten the cab onto the tractor. I bought one for it but didn't get it on in time. I didn't want to put the cab on until I'd gotten enough wood stockpiled. I can't drive through the woods with the cab on. Never got enough wood so didn't put the cab on. Now its buried under a lot of snow.

I plan to have a Simplicity with a blower and cab set up for next year. I should have the LGT125 with a cab done by then too. I also need to fix up a walk behind snowblower for doing the deck because shovelling it is killing my ears(the kid complaining about what a waste of time it is). He figures that it will melt off eventually. I point out that much more than 4' of snow on the deck could collapse it.

We are starting to see roof collapses in the area but, not as bad as 4 years ago. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 13, 2015 - 08:37 AM.

• Alc, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 09:10 AM

From what I am hearing, you guys will be getting some high winds with this storm! You might want to get a tractor that is just for wood gathering duties.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 09:42 AM

From what I am hearing, you guys will be getting some high winds with this storm! You might want to get a tractor that is just for wood gathering duties.

I have a 1955 AC HD6G shovelldozer for that but she is down. When I checked the oil there was a gallon of water in the oil pan(I removed it). I want to jack her up 6" so I can get under her and drop the oil pan to check the rods and crank. I hurt my back in June and that put me way behind and I never caught up this year. When things go right, all the wood is cut, split and stacked before July 4.

This Ford 2000 with an FEL is my best condition tractor and the handiest. She gets priority on maintenance and repairs and has been very reliable for 30 years. I have plans for fixing up a dump truck and two trailers to make firewood processing easier but I'm allways behind on my plans. We spent Wednesday at the VA and now have sore throats we usually are sick for a week each time after visiting there. So, more lost time. I will not give up, just have to accept a slower pace. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 13, 2015 - 09:45 AM.

• Alc, KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#7 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 10:48 AM

Sorry to hear about your conditions up there. I was just telling some folks last night that were complaining about our 1" snow fall about some of the problems others are having. Some of us have tractors for small conveniences, or to look at. Some like you their vital to everyday living. Thanks for sharing & keep us updated...stay warm.
  • Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 11:09 AM

I've been following news on what has been going on up there.  Doesn't sound like any fun.  I hope everyone stays safe and warm and this winter is over soon.

• JDBrian and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 11:15 AM

Thirtyseven years ago they were cleanning up from the Blizzard of 1978 at this time. Active Army Engineer Units were sent in to help. I think that DOD helping with domestic natural disasters is the best work we did. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81, JDBrian and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 11:22 AM

Stuck at work, but getting ready tonight. Plenty of wood in the screen room, and the Case is fueled up. I need to air up the tires, put the charger on the battery and check the oil. 

I wish my Electrak was working, however, I would not want it dead at the bottom of my driveway during the storm.

Valentines day is tomorrow, I think a nice lunch with her will make the cut considering the storm and the prep work.

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#11 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 11:51 AM

My blower is still broke, 50 cm northeast winds Sunday and Monday. Making a new impeller for the ford blower, takes time to do thou. May have to get someone to clear me. Noel
  • MH81, JDBrian, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#12 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 06:48 PM

On the north west side we've had a few less inches , but on the top of the mountain it's always windy and higher snow amounts than surrounding areas. I have to say the lower oil prices have helped. Like Rick I'm behind this year on prepping but my GT's have helped out. The 195 broke a PTO shaft which was repaired in between storms and now I'm ready to keep up with the snow, just running out of room to put it.
  • Alc, IamSherwood, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 06:59 PM

On the north west side we've had a few less inches , but on the top of the mountain it's always windy and higher snow amounts than surrounding areas. I have to say the lower oil prices have helped. Like Rick I'm behind this year on prepping but my GT's have helped out. The 195 broke a PTO shaft which was repaired in between storms and now I'm ready to keep up with the snow, just running out of room to put it.

That is why I have to use an FEL to push the  piles up to 8' high. You may remember that the first 300' of my driveway is in a trench. I have to push most of the snow out of it. I will try to open up the south side  before next year and use a plow or blower to put the snow over there. I stocked up on gas and diesel and got the generator prepared for the first storm so, its still ready. How are you feeling?  Good Luck, Rick

• Alc and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#14 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 07:02 PM

Good luck to you guys with this next blast of winter.

It won't be long, and it'll all be over.

• JDBrian, TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 07:51 AM

It looks like the latest forecast for us is 10-14" of snow starting after midnight tonight followed by rain after noon tomorrow, then freezing up again with flurries before the end of the day. That should make a real mess. 80kph/50mph winds as well. At least Monday is a holiday here, heritage day, so the snow removal crews should have time to clean up properly in the city before folks head back to work on Tuesday. It looks to me like they are going to have to start trucking the snow off of the main streets in Halifax. It's already an obstacle course trying to get around parked cars and snow banks. Adding another foot of heavy snow to the mix won't be pretty. 

• Alc, Rock farmer and propane1 have said thanks