• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime ONLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 11:56 PM

I have an old comet, sitting/not getting used.  It barely moves in 1st or 2nd.  Eng runs good, had a new power head installed before I bought it many years back.  Is there anyone that restores these things?  Don't want this one restored, not interested in keeping/using it any longer, yard is WAY to big for this mower.  Anyways, I guess my question is, is there anyone that could use parts from this thing?  I don't think there is much that would not need cleaned or some repair, it is very old afterall.  I am probably going to remove the eng and take the rest to the dump unless someone wants it or needs parts off of it.  Right now it's not where I can get to it but if anyone wants to send me a message, I will keep it until spring and would check the parts out for you.  32 inch deck I believe, I do have the grass bagger attachment on it as well.  Come get it and you can have the whole thing just for hauling it off.  The tires are not good but hold air for a while.  In ND near Grand Forks.  Most parts, a couple dollars and shipping is all I would charge for them.  I hope someone can use it or parts.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 12:14 AM

What is a Comet.

Do you have any Pics.

#3 FrozenInTime ONLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 12:31 AM

Does not look exactly like this one, but real close:  http://www.ebay.com/...s-/231472996811

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#4 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 12:47 AM

Thanks,

Not what I could use.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 02:27 AM

Cute little bugger. So, it's a snapper?

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 08:18 AM

I thought you might of meant one of the old cars from the 60s/70s! 

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 08:20 AM

I thought you might of meant one of the old cars from the 60s/70s! 

Those were Mercury's!

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 09:55 AM

that snapper Comet was a pretty good mower, in there time they were seen all over town.
They had a pretty simple drive as I recall. If I remeber right they had a frictionn disc drive and speed was based on where the drive disc was on the circumference of a large disc. About the only thing that could go wrong was the rubber shoe would wear on the disc and need replaced.

And Kenny is right about the Comet being a Mercury. It was the Mercury version of the Ford Falcon and a good car.
My senior year inn Hight School I bought a Mercury Meteor, their version of the Fairlane.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 10:10 AM

I have an old comet, sitting/not getting used.  It barely moves in 1st or 2nd.  Eng runs good, had a new power head installed before I bought it many years back.  Is there anyone that restores these things?  Don't want this one restored, not interested in keeping/using it any longer, yard is WAY to big for this mower.  Anyways, I guess my question is, is there anyone that could use parts from this thing?  I don't think there is much that would not need cleaned or some repair, it is very old afterall.  I am probably going to remove the eng and take the rest to the dump unless someone wants it or needs parts off of it.  Right now it's not where I can get to it but if anyone wants to send me a message, I will keep it until spring and would check the parts out for you.  32 inch deck I believe, I do have the grass bagger attachment on it as well.  Come get it and you can have the whole thing just for hauling it off.  The tires are not good but hold air for a while.  In ND near Grand Forks.  Most parts, a couple dollars and shipping is all I would charge for them.  I hope someone can use it or parts.

If it barely moves, it need a new friction disc and parts are available for it. I bet it's a "COMET 30", which meant it had a 30" deck. There were thousands of them built and used for year and years. They have quite a following in certain parts of the country, my parts guy at the local NAPA has 4 or 5 of them in his collection. Does it have a recoil start 6HP Briggs on it? There is a group on FB that has over 56,000 followers and here is the link if you want to post it there if it doesn't get any interest here.

https://www.facebook.com/Snapper

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 11:47 AM

Another interesting feature on that snapper. You see those two uprights on the back? Along wiith being used to support the collection bag, it could be used to store the machine vertically taking up less space in the shed or garage.