LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 10:57 AM

That goes way beyond redneck. Your a journeyman German engineer. A real redneck would have left out the paper and glued the clutch together!
  • MH81 and IamSherwood have said thanks

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 08:39 PM

You mention not having the rivets. I doubt many of us keep them around, I do not.
But have made them from screws, nails and bolts. by simply fitting them cutting them off proud and peening them. When I think back, I bet every harness, knife handle. pots machinery I saw repaired by my Great Uncle Willard had home made improvised rivets in them.
If you want to get fancy you can buy peening punches with a nice recess in the end. I do not have one but will pick one or two sizes up when I run across them.
A nice soft material and a ball peen hammer(do you suppose that is where the hammer got its name?) can work wonders and depending on the application you could heat them with a propane torch to soften them. If you can size it to the bore just right the shank will swell tight in the bore as well as the end peening over the edge.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 13, 2015 - 09:29 PM.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#18 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 11:19 PM

I managed to find three rivets that made me happy.
The deal is; on a friction disc, you don't want steel or some other hard material and you want flat heads so you get as much disc wear out of it as possible.
So, I was looking for flat head brass rivets, about 1/8" dia shank and about 3/8" long. Managed to find three that would do. I am sure with the epoxy and the rivets, we are in business.

I ran the blower tonight for a few minutes. Nice that it doesn't squeal anymore.
I can really lug the engine (may even be able to stall it if I tried) and no sqeeeeee :dancingbanana:
  • Texas Deere and Horse, wvbuzzmaster, JD DANNELS and 4 others have said thanks

#19 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 11:23 AM

Great job Alan, I believe you are somewhat of a Yankee Redneck with skills!! Glad you got it fixed and found some rivets to keep it in place.
  • MH81 said thank you

#20 EricR OFFLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 11:27 AM

Great job there MH81.

• MH81 said thank you

#21 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 02:21 PM

A while back I needed a thin walled socket and didn't have one. I grabbed a spare one of the correct size and put it on the drill using the socket adapter then grabbed the angle grinder. Steph held the drill running it wide open and I ran the grinder. A friend of mine who is a machinist came by and was dying laughing. He said I could have brought it o his his shop. I asked what fun that would have been.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, JD DANNELS and 2 others have said thanks

#22 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 14, 2015 - 08:34 PM

A while back I needed a thin walled socket and didn't have one. I grabbed a spare one of the correct size and put it on the drill using the socket adapter then grabbed the angle grinder. Steph held the drill running it wide open and I ran the grinder. A friend of mine who is a machinist came by and was dying laughing. He said I could have brought it o his his shop. I asked what fun that would have been.

yeah I have done so by turning them in the drill press and holding a file to them.
  • MH81 said thank you

#23 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 12:32 AM

I've done the same thing, and I was dying laughing. I was born and raised in

a machine shop. :rolling:

#24 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 09:42 AM

I use to own an '88 S-Blazer with a 4.3 that I bought new. When it finally needed spark plugs, as anyone that's ever owned one knows, you ain't getting the #3 plug with any regular socket, so I took a good high quality Snap-On socket and ground a groove in the side so I could slide it sideways onto the plug and then push it down, worked like I charm.

• MH81 said thank you

#25 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 10:32 PM

Really tested the clutch hard over Wednesday nite.
Went thru ice chunks and 2' drifts. Only slipped it once going thru the drift behind the house that was over the top of the housing and about 8' long. The snow stopped flowing and there was a smell. Quickly backed up and all was well.

It continues to amaze me. It will put snow up and hit the yard lite in the right conditions. It is 27' off the ground.
  • olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster, JD DANNELS and 2 others have said thanks

#26 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 07:34 AM

Sounds like that setup is a keeper.

Now to find a cab for it.

#27 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 09:34 PM

Three short snipits of video.

I was forging paths today. First was to the telephone poles you see in the distance. Three passes wide to get the to35 Ferguson and trailer down to the wood pile.
Last snipit was me making a trail to the lower garage from the upper one. The lower garage is below the single story house in the distance.
  • DH1 and KennyP have said thanks