- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

• Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 01:25 AM

Need some suggestions y'all.  I am looking for a 3-point rototiller.  Not looking to break the bank as my garden is 40 x 60 at the moment.  3/4s of the garden has never been turned (going bigger this spring, I hope).  I have and have access to tractors from 18 to 45 horse for garden work (up to 420 horse if I wanted to get really silly).  Would love to find one for my Snapper but this is getting to be a futile search.  Thought I found one but, did not work out.  What brands/makes/price do y'all use, the good and bad about them, etc.  I would continue using my Snapper rear tine but it is in need of repairs and has a real hard time breaking ground, I know, I broke it trying last fall.  I don't want one of the tongue hitch type, don't need another motor to keep running.  I have looked at J/Deere, but for the price I could buy a used cub cadet, etc at auction with tiller for a lot less, even a small tractor with plow and disc is cheaper..... LOL  Home of Economy, TSC, etc.

I have even thought about a small plow and disc for the Snapper, but for the price I could get a 2 or 3 point trailer type for my Allis Chalmers.  Really just want a 3-point tiller.  New or used if in good shape is fine.

Man... I am getting the itch bad to get my new garden going!!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,457 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 01:34 AM

I till with an old Troy Bilt that I was given years ago. To break new ground I have to dig the area up and screen it because we have so much rock in our soil. This is also when I can add in compost because the soil is poor.

When busting new ground, you really should use a plow to spare the tiller that hard work. Good Luck with your search. My decisions are usually made by what I come across. I bought a tiller attachment for my Simplicity for $50 and I may try it this year but I like being able to walk behind the Troy Bilt and pick out stones that are pulled up. Don't let the seed catalogs entice you into too big of a garden.  Good Luck, Rick

• Alc and FrozenInTime have said thanks

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,659 Thanks
  • 28,312 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 07:09 AM

I use my Allis tiller to do the heavy lifting around here.
If you have an Allis, I would consider finding one of them.

Here is a link to me using it to break new ground. The fall before, the big farmer in the area ran his discs over the ground, but didnt get much soil turn. They needed about 7" down for planting the bushes and with the two passes, it was good to go. They were really happy with how it fluffed the soil and said it was the easiest planting they have done yet.

I had to do a little repair on this, you can find that thread here http://gardentractor...ge-2#entry21256
  • boyscout862 and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,600 Thanks
  • 38,985 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 07:38 AM

I've been playing at getting a Jake tiller set up.

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,756 Thanks
  • 4,263 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 08:50 PM

You need to turn the new ground first.  Better to do that in the fall so it can freeze out through the winter.  For a 40 X 60 garden I would recommend a rear tine tiller.  Good used one are not that expensive and much easier to locate than a mounted one for your GT.  I bought my first GT tiller this winter.  Been using a BCS rear tine tiller for several years.  Our garden us in an L shape with one section about 40 X 40 and the other Pie shaped and about 50 X 75.  Lot of vine crops that take a lot of room.