Jump to content

Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay



Photo
- - - - -

Carb Fire


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Coventry Plumber ONLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts
  • Location: Coventry RI

Posted February 11, 2015 - 09:12 PM

Due to the fact that I have not enough room and have to keep some tractors outside , I have to warm the engine on my farmall plow tractors up with a propane heater to start them when it's 10 degrees out. I've done this many times but ( you can probably see where this is headed) this last time I may have put the heater a bit to close , so I went to shovel snow for a few minutes . When I came back the carburetor was on fire . Apparently the rubber coupling the connects the air breather pipe to the carb had slide apart due to the heat ,causing gas to drip down on the heater that was to close. I quickly put it out with snow( no shortage of that around) reconnected coupling and it started right up. Not any other rubber or meltable thing around that area luckily. At lease I found it in time. No harm done but a big lesson was learned. It's embarrassing but It might teach someone else a lesson the easy way. Tom
  • Gtractor, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 7 others have said thanks

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts
  • Location: New York

Posted February 11, 2015 - 09:20 PM

It's a good lesson to teach, thanks for mentioning it and it's nothing to be embarrassed about. A neighbor used a hair dryer to quickly heat the carb on his old gravely so it would start in the cold. It kept him from walking away from it and getting preoccupied with something else. It only took seconds with the hair dryer to warm it up. I watched another neighbors house burn to the ground due to a gas leak on his 4 wheeler. Gas is nothing to get complacent around.
  • tinbender7, boyscout862, Chopperhed and 2 others have said thanks

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts
  • Location: petersbrgh ny

Posted February 11, 2015 - 09:21 PM

   OOOOHHHHHH you got lucky, gas and fire do not mix.  glad you caught it in time.   I had a friend who lost his garage and amost the house due to snow gasoline and a drop lite, he was working on the fuel tank under a van and the snow was melting of the van onto the floor.  he threw the drop light under the van to be able to se and it hit the floor a little to hard and burst igniting the gas in the water, you can see where that went.  bad new bears !!!!!

                                        Pete


Edited by petrj6, February 11, 2015 - 09:23 PM.

  • tinbender7, boyscout862, Chopperhed and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts
  • Location: Alabama

Posted February 11, 2015 - 09:29 PM

10 degrees out????WTH...nope...


  • boyscout862, Chopperhed, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#5 Coventry Plumber ONLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts
  • Location: Coventry RI

Posted February 11, 2015 - 09:45 PM

10 degrees out????WTH...nope...


Actually I think it was 3 degrees.
  • KennyP, boyscout862, Chopperhed and 2 others have said thanks

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts
  • Location: Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Posted February 11, 2015 - 10:08 PM

A fella here in my area burnt to death while he was working on his snowblower a few years ago in his mini barn, not sure of all the details, but was gasoline related. Noel.
Most of us do things that we know better not to do, but may get us at some point to a degree.
  • tinbender7, boyscout862, Chopperhed and 2 others have said thanks

#7 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts
  • Location: Springville, Alabama

Posted February 11, 2015 - 10:15 PM

10 degrees out????WTH...nope...

Glad all ended well. Agree with Auburn as this is where I was today to the sum of 27 total and 61 degrees. Couldn't survive 3.

Attached Thumbnails

  • FullSizeRender.jpg

  • KennyP, boyscout862, Chopperhed and 5 others have said thanks

#8 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts
  • Location: Edmonton, Ab, Canada

Posted February 11, 2015 - 10:41 PM

I've always been big on fuel safety. I store it all outside. I learned that lesson some 40 years ago playing with gas while burning garbage.

 

Lost all the hair on my face, and blew up a pot bellied stove.

 

Nowdays, I've had 40 years to learn about combustibles, and oxy/fuel/heat ratios.

 

But you can't predict what will happen all the time.

 

Good thing you saved it


Edited by Chopperhed, February 11, 2015 - 11:08 PM.

  • tinbender7, boyscout862, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks




Top