• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 05:00 PM

I mentioned it in another thread somewhere but if I had a loader on my Power King, I doubt I would need anything else for a very long time.  My dad ran this tractor for 30+ years and I would see taking it another 30.

Original Power King FELs are few/far between, typically come with a tractor and if they are solo they have been pretty rusty.

Mission Manufacturing, owners of the Power King designs now, sell a FEL for the plastic PKs for $3000 that would need to be modified to work with a metal PK plus the cost of freight.

Some guys have made their own loaders from what I guess to be fabricating experience and trial-n-error.

Has anyone looked into the FEL plans offered by P.F. Engineering and/or CAD Plans?

http://loaderplans.com/

https://www.cadplans...-model-907.html

I don't have the cash right now but I'm keeping an eye open and educating myself.  I've done some welding and have friends who weld.  I'm exploring the DIY route but was hoping to hear if those plans are worth the cost. 

Thanks! 

• Francisdig said thank you

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 05:34 PM

There has been several fellows build their own FEL.

Some have used the P.F. Engineering plans, and others have just built from scratch (trial & error).

Do a search for homemade FEL's and see what you find.

• Alc said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 05:59 PM

Try here http://gardentractor...y-gt-fel-plans/ and http://gardentractor...6-loader-plans/ to start. We have alot of info in our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

BTW a project like this can justify the purchase of: a welder, a chop saw, and a grinder. I've gotten good ones on CL.

Edited by boyscout862, February 11, 2015 - 06:01 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 06:03 PM

The Cad Plans are very nice, have gotten backhoe ones in past.  Their loader seems pretty good and know the web site HAD a PK on it as an owner built at one time. The PF's to Me seem to use too small of metal tubing on their lift arms.  I think if you got pictures, drawings and etc. from the PK guys, one could make one from standard metals and would use the same mounting as the PK  one's did, along center of frame. The real early loaders were much less sophisticated and I don't reccomend one of those. I would put pump in same area on top or side of the bellhousing like they did. Any loader used would be a start, yet the frame mounting would not be for PK's, the rest should be about the same. Buying an older rusty or "needs work" loader is not that bad of idea. It is not hard to have them blasted or other clean ups to main parts and replace all the small items with new. Would be quickest way in my opinion. You need to go to big tractor shows and see what is for sale. At times a whole nother tractor with a loader on it, might be one of cheapest ways to go, depending on what you can do to work with them.

• Alc, boyscout862 and zuren have said thanks

#5 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 09:43 PM

I have the PF Plans and they are good. Takes a lot of the guess work out of the hydraulic planning. The steel framework is pretty straight forward. Well worth the $60.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 08:12 AM

CADplans is a member on here.

There are so many home built FEL's out there. I have done searches for hours on top of hours to see all the deifferent designs and tweeks on can do.

I have a Plastic King made for/branded as a Snapper, if I ever get it up and running, plan to build my own FEL for it.

• Alc said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 04:08 PM

Tahoe, you need to sell me that Snapper-King and save your money and energy!  Chuck-Bob on here has one WITH the loader for sale, buy that one, and sell me yours then!  Everyone would be happy then! Hee!

#8 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 07:07 PM

Thanks Gary for the plug.

Yes, I have a 1995ish Snapper 2200 with a factory front end loader that I will be sellling in the near future:

It is a 16" rear tire-9.5X16" ags, 4x12 front. Hydrostat with hand control, Power Steering. I bought it from the original owner last year who had used it as a dedicated loader tractor. It shows 177 hrs on a working meter. It has separate hydraulic controls for the mid mount mower lift and rear Cat O 3 pt. I am in the process of detailing the tractor before posting pictures. All plastic is intact and in great condition.

I am located in East Central Indiana.

Chuck

• Alc said thank you

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 09:02 PM

Tahoe, you need to sell me that Snapper-King and save your money and energy!  Chuck-Bob on here has one WITH the loader for sale, buy that one, and sell me yours then!  Everyone would be happy then! Hee!

Now what fun would that be for me? 

#10 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 12:47 PM

I had a follow-up question regarding Power Kings and FELs.  Can you have a FEL and the belly mount finish mower attached at the same time? 

This tractor will be my primary lawn mower so constantly connecting/disconnecting a FEL and mower would get old.  I know that typically you do not want a mower on a loader tractor due to clearance but this will be my all-in-one workhorse for a while. 

Thanks!

#11 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted April 10, 2015 - 07:30 PM

Hi zuren, my 1618 PK has both a 48" mower deck and a factory FEL a PK has  plenty of clearance, the main down fall would be the added wt the FEL will add making the tractor steer harder and the tires will tend to cut inif the ground is soft. Removing my FEL is not that big a deal just 4 1" pins and about 4 hyd quick couplers.

• zuren said thank you

#12 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 11:31 AM

Buying an older rusty or "needs work" loader is not that bad of idea. It is not hard to have them blasted or other clean ups to main parts and replace all the small items with new. Would be quickest way in my opinion. You need to go to big tractor shows and see what is for sale. At times a whole nother tractor with a loader on it, might be one of cheapest ways to go, depending on what you can do to work with them.

I need to start doing more thorough Craigslist/SearchTempest searches but I do not find many PK loaders stand-alone; they almost always come with the tractor.  There are a couple PKs w/ loaders on Craigslist right now.  I'm tempted to ask if they would be willing to sell the loader separately.

My fear with buying another PK tractor with loader is the initial outlay of more cash that I want (or am able) to spend while operating with the assumption that you will realize cost and times savings by being able sell the extra tractor without attachments.  I tend to see bare tractors like that linger on classified and auction sites.

• MH81 said thank you

#13 bob0usa OFFLINE  

bob0usa
  • Member No: 68074
  • 20 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 07:51 AM

Hi zuren, my 1618 PK has both a 48" mower deck and a factory FEL a PK has  plenty of clearance, the main down fall would be the added wt the FEL will add making the tractor steer harder and the tires will tend to cut inif the ground is soft. Removing my FEL is not that big a deal just 4 1" pins and about 4 hyd quick couplers.

For sure on "front wheels will cut in!",  I'm forbidden to take my 1614  w/fel in yard till  it gets firmer! the better half is a little avid bout that! Mowed all 3 acres yesterday, with the 1618 , no problem with that, the fel, has loaded rears w/weights, so its a little heavy!  around 2800lbs with everything!

ALSO,  keep in mind, its not a big tractor, so don't over do it like I do now and then! I've got to some welding on the bucket again, using it too hard again......... getting gravel out of creek!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: power king, front end loader, diy