• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 03:50 PM

My brother is throwing around the idea of using a Kohler Command 25hp Horz. motor in a old Suzuki J20 Jimny.

The original motor was a 2 cyl outboard type engine and he can no longer find parts to keep it running.

The transmission is a little 4 speed manual with a divorced transfer case.

Would it be possible to rig up some kind of mechanical (foot operated) clutch that could attach to a stub shaft coming from the Kohler flywheel??

If so, where would a person find this kind of clutch?

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 06:10 PM

Not sure on New K engines, but the older singles  worked well with the Power King Economy bellhousings and clutches out to a small 3spd trans in many things. Don't know what kind of room this thing has. What is a Suzuki Jimne exactly?  A 4 wheeler or one of those small flat-bed trucks?  Seems there is quite a few places pulling that type vehicle into the States now, most not roadworthy they say, maybe a google search will find sources for parts for them? 

#3 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 11:33 AM

Not sure on New K engines, but the older singles  worked well with the Power King Economy bellhousings and clutches out to a small 3spd trans in many things. Don't know what kind of room this thing has. What is a Suzuki Jimne exactly?  A 4 wheeler or one of those small flat-bed trucks?  Seems there is quite a few places pulling that type vehicle into the States now, most not roadworthy they say, maybe a google search will find sources for parts for them? 

The Suzuki Jimny LJ20 was only allowed to be imported into the states for a few years in teh early 70's. They loook like a very small 4x4 jeep.

I have scoured the net trying to find parts and/or conversions to change out some things but so far no luck at all.

You mention a power King setup, can the clutch from one of those still be bought?

I was talking this over with my brother last night and we were wondering if we could take the flywheel off the original motor in the Jimny, adapt it to bolt up to the Kohler, then build a mid plate and front plate on the front and back of the Kohler to hold it in the correct position so that the original clutch could be used????

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:37 PM

Used parts on epay, search under Economy Power King and you will find lots of stuff. Maybe on here a parts diagram with driveline will show what is needed??  How about a picture of this rig. I DO recall a flatbed with twin cylinder engine by them back then, not familiar with the Jeep like rig. I knew fella turning the flatbed into electric vehicle at one time, not sure he ever finished it or not? it was kind of neat. Might have to remove more than you think to get down to a driveshaft connection and use all new/diff clutch and trans in front of that? Not sure what kind of connections you have to do that.  I bet not much space to work there that is problem?

#5 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:46 PM

Here is a picture of one in the back of a truck.

Attached Thumbnails

• 10%20in%20back%20of%20pu.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#6 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:52 PM

Here is what the engine bay looks like

Attached Thumbnails

• 1280px-Suzuki_Jimny_LJ20_engine_room.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 06:41 PM

Neat rigs, small enough to fit in truck, yet big enough to put on road, hmmm! One other thought on re-power might be to just use a motorcyle drive line, skip the trans and clutch in the rig. They have kits to put cycle engines in little race cars, so maybe that would be an option? OR, small car engines like Chevy Geos or whatever they were called, 3 cylinders most times. Snowmobile engines?  What is actually wrong with engine in it now?  Would think one could find bearings that would fit, and pistons and rings from something else, maybe even Suzi brand would fit?  Staying with Suzuki items makes matching more better chance would think.

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 06:56 PM

I think a 1100/1200 Goldwing engine would be awesome in one of those. 

• Trav1s said thank you

#9 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 05:26 PM

The motor that is in it now is really tired. It is a 2cyl oil injected outboard engine that was adapted to fit in these things, the LJ10 which came out before these were a air cooled engine that was similar to this water cooled one.

Finding parts has become almost impossible, finding information is almost as hard.