Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Suitcase and rear wheel weights what would you pay?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sacsr OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,253 Thanks
  • 3,279 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 02:53 PM

I have been talking with a company that makes weights. Trying to see if there is any room for me to sell and make a few bucks to help with my Bush Hog habit. What would you pay for 41lb suitcase weights and 70lb rear wheel weights? PM if you prefer, but could use some guidance.
  • superaben and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,533 Thanks
  • 6,384 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 06:17 PM

Unless you take a load to tractor shows and things like that, would think hard to sell and people having to pay shipping on such heavy items. Also would think they would have to be dirt cheap from the source to allow YOU to have a mark-up also. I don't see that much in any modern market for accessories or parts.  OR, be a wholesaler for dealers and work thru them to sell? just supply them? Also, not all wheel weights fit all tractors, so just makes more inventory with some that won't sell as well as others and be setting around.  Suitcase weights probly sell better, but 70lbs seems big for a GT. My Deere ones are smaller and think around 35 to 40 lbs each, and more suitable for size of GTs

• sacsr and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#3 Canawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 11:02 PM

Are you talking about reproduction Bush Hog weights or just generic wheel weights? If generic it would be very hard to make much with those. Quite frankly, used wheel weights are pretty common. There are almost always a set or two on Craigslist. And its not like there is any benefit of a new set over a used set. Personally, I would wait for a set to come along at less than $50. I certainly wouldn't pay more than $75.
  • johndeereelfman and sacsr have said thanks

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 09:43 AM

I'd have to ask the same question as Jim, are you thinking about reproduction Bush Hog wheel weights? Can't help you much as far as value on them, but if you are looking to reproduce the look of a John Deere rear wheel weight, the used price for a pair is right around $125-$150 a set. 

One thing I'd throw at you Scott to consider, and that is if you are going to go through with this, maybe consider reproducing the front wheel weights instead? Rear wheel weights are plentiful right now, but front wheel weights are harder to find, and bringing some good resale pricing right now. I know the average price for a set of front John Deere weights is going anywhere between $150-$225 for a set. 

As for suitcase weights, I don't use them, so I can't give you input on them. However, I think they can still be easily obtainable from most dealerships. They average around $35-$45 a piece I think. One thing to keep in mind when selling any kind of weight, is resale is usually figured at $1.00 for each pound.  Hope this helps, and Good Luck to you Buddy!

• sacsr said thank you

#5 cumminsdeere87 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 64961
  • 16 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 09:47 AM

70lbs wheel weights are made by john deere for garden tractors and so are 50lb weights. Suit case weights are still available also. They are expensive but used ones can be found reasonable.
  • sacsr said thank you

#6 Delmar OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,257 Thanks
  • 2,384 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 11:17 AM

home depot sells john deere suitcase weights.....42 lb.  $57.97 each

Edited by Delmar, February 12, 2015 - 11:19 AM.