• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 greenb69 ONLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 05:51 AM

I have read several posts and I am still a bit confused. I have a 1980 powerking 1612 with single trans. Hydro. and 3 point. I want to get a box blade for it and the smallest is 3 foot. A post says that they require 4 horse per foot. With my 12 horse Kohler should I consider getting a 16 horse to repower it and if so what do I look for?
It just seems wrong dragging a 3 foot blade behind this tractor. It just looks capable of so much more.
I have a C-121 wheelhorse with the 12 horse Kohler and 8 speed and it is a beast. I am new to powerking so not sure of their capabilities.
Any feedback would be great.
Thanks
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 06:19 AM

I made a 4 foot blade from an old snowplow that I use behind my 2418  but mines repowered the opposite way lol  it has  a 12 hp . I don't run out of pulling power it's more the tires spin even with  the tires filled along with 120 lb wheel weights each side

• MH81 and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 07:53 AM

The 4 horse per foot rating is possibly a mfg suggestion for newer engines. Our older engines seem to have a lot more torque and ability to preform under load.

I have a 3' er for my Sleeve hitch tractors. I have never run out of power and we were running it with Ryans 10 one day.
i would expect the PK tranny and its bigger wheels will help with most issues, they are very capable machines.

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,920 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 08:16 AM

Get a blade that is the same width as the tractor.  If you don't already have added weight you will need to add some.  Wheel weights and/or fluid in the tires is best.   You can also hang weight on the tractor itself if the additional weight needs to be easily removed for other chores.   With Power Kings two-way down pressure hydraulics you will have a real workhorse and it will make the Wheelhorse look like a toy. 

Good Luck and we'll want pictures when you get the new blade mounted and working.  :thumbs:  :wave:

#5 greenb69 ONLINE  

greenb69
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 08:32 AM

I was wondering about the capability of these tractors, they are just to well built and thought out to only be used for mowing and pushing snow around. Mine runs really well and came with the 48 inch mowing deck. I picked it up from a guy on CL for 350.00. This is my first experience with one but I am well pleased. Thanks for the feedback.

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 09:01 AM

Can you post a picture of this tractor?  You say single tranny and then mention hydro.  I'm thinking you have a newer fiberglass tractor but I don't recall them putting a 12hp in the ones with the 16" rear wheels.  A 1212 (12" wheels and 12hp, more like a lawn tractor) did exist in 84 and a 1614 (16" wheels and 14hp) also existed at that time.  There were metal and fiberglass tractors rolling off the line at the same time in this era.  Need to see what you have before we understand the capabilities at your disposal.  Also, post the serial number of the tractor if you can.  That will tell us more in terms of the actual year we are dealing with.  I know, the guy told you it was a 1984.  Let me tell you, more times than not, they are wrong so, to be safe, let's make sure of what you have.

#7 greenb69 ONLINE  

greenb69
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 11:49 AM

Sorry about the conflicting info on the tractor. It is a 1980 based on the serial number. It is a 3 speed tranny with hydraulic lift for the deck, three point and the snow blade.
Hope this is better.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1423673324831.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 12:20 PM

That's better!  Yeah, you got a good solid machine there.  Weight it down a little and it will handle a 4' box blade.  You may not get it full depending on what your terrain is like and such but I think you'll do ok.  This tractor used to be known as the Jim Dandy until the name change to Power King and the numbers for the model numbers started in the mid 70's.  Good price on that one!