i have 6-12 on the rear so if a 23x10.50 takes 6 i should have enough

#33 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 12:56 PM

I recommend using "rimguard", (beet juice)'. It's 3lbs heavier than water and will not freeze or rust your wheels. Talk to an ag tire shop. If you can install it yourself I think my juice was 3 bucks a gallon.

I have yet to load any of my tires. But when i put the new rears on my Ford 1500 was considering Rim Guard.
At that time the nearest dealer installing Rim Guard I knew of was in Tipton, Ia. about 80 miles away.
I called the Rim Guard help line. They told me that there was a dealer Sully Co-op in Sully.Ia. same county I live in and only 15 miles away. He also told me that rim.guard would melt the glue that held the brass inserts in rubber valve stems and that I would need to install all metal valve stems in my wheels. Just something those considering Rim Guard should know. I think it would be worth the change. A farmer or businessman who can write off replacing wheels every 15-20 yrs as business expense could justify replacing wheels, but it can be a deal breaker for a hobbiest.
I passed up buying a Ford 1710 with a rebuilt motor because it needed all four wheels replaced due to calcium chloride erosion.
CC might have been ok when it was all that was available, but I hate the stuff.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 12, 2015 - 01:02 PM.

• OldBuzzard, KennyP and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#34 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 06:05 PM

... He also told me that rim.guard would melt the glue that held the brass inserts in rubber valve stems and that I would need to install all metal valve stems in my wheels. Just something those considering Rim Guard should know. ...

I think that one of the reasons that the Rim Guard folks want you to call for dealer locations is so that they can pass that information on to you.

I am a firm believer in Rim Guard, and even if I'm not planning on having a particular set of tires filled with it, I still insist on metal valve stems just in case I change my mind later.

• JD DANNELS and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#35 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 01:43 PM

I finally got the tire loaded an the chains on them a 6-12 tires takes just a little under 3 gallons to fill.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you