#16 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 09:29 PM

Pump sprayer for any with tubes, sidewall open for the ones that don't.
We have a hose adapter and have filled bigger tractor tires with it, but hardly worth the effort to set that all up for 14 gal.

BTW, you will want the calcium tire on the left.
That's is the uphill tire (most apt to spin) when plowing and the calcium is significantly heavier than WWF.

I will never put cacl in a tire again after seeing how bad the rims get, but there are a lot out there still.

Playsand... Hmmm. Playsand and a little anti rust agent might be good and heavy.

Ohh yea..forgot to add the WD-40...add it after the sand though or it clumps up..
  • MH81 said thank you

#17 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 09:48 PM

My buddy says with the play sand if you get stuck you can let the air out of the tires and get more traction and it still wont be a flat tire..I want to try it..but my 6018 has a backhoe and I am afraid to overstress the hydro drive..

• MH81 said thank you

#18 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 09:57 PM

So how much liquid do you have to add when adding sand to keep it from clumping up and throwing the wheel way off balance?

#19 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 10:09 PM

So how much liquid do you have to add when adding sand to keep it from clumping up and throwing the wheel way off balance?

Good question..I need to ask him that...but I think its just sand and WD-40(in liquid form)

#20 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 10:10 PM

21045.png

#21 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 10:12 PM

I guess you could use transmission fluid as well???

#22 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 10:17 PM

He filled the tires on my hand trucks(that were forever going flat)a couple of years ago..and I haven't had any issue with them at all...they are airless now..

#23 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 10:18 PM

I wrote up a method I used for my first set of tires in the Tech Tips section.  It involved using a quart bottle with a hose clamped to the valve stem (minus the core); inverting the bottle and squeezing it to get the fluid out. I use RV antifreeze and water in a 2 to 1 ratio.

I used it on the front tires of my Sears GT18 first---it worked okay, but was tedious as the front tires held a gallon of fluid, which required 4 refills per side, allowing about 20% air space.

When I did my HT23 Bolens, I used a long piece of vinyl tubing clamped to the valve stem, with the other end stuck inside a bottle of RV antifreeze sitting on the fender.  I pushed the tire in with my knee on the tread area (make sure you have the hose out or the escaping air can bubble the fluid out of the bottle), then stuck the hose in and moved my knee.  The resulting suction started the fluid through the tube and it became a siphon. Cut a couple notches across the end of the tube in the fluid so it doesn't stick against the bottom of the bottle and restrict the fluid going through it. BTW, The fluid does leak around the valve stem little--maybe a quarter cup for the whole process.

Bolens HT23 Liquid Ballast.jpg

If the tire is too stiff to press in with your knee, put a jack under the axle and let it down, thus expelling the air; put the tube in the bottle, then pump up the jack.

I find you have to do this technique about twice per gallon of fluid. You may have to "burp" the tire more than that, but you can start the siphon going, and go do other things... just check back every 10 minutes or so.

I recently did it on my Kubota B7100 with 16" rims on the rear, and each tire took 9 gallons. I used a fill hose from a Fix a Flat can to screw onto the valve stem, stuck a piece of 1/4" copper tubing in it, then clamped a piece of vinyl tubing to the copper tubing.

IMG_20141115_142804_429.jpg

IMG_20141115_142815_432.jpg

You can't fill the tires completely using this method, but you don't want to anyway.  You need to leave some air (at least 25%) to act as a cushion for the tires.

You can use washer fluid the same way if you want--it's cheaper, but I think the alcohol is a little harder on tires than the Propylene Glycol in the RV antifreeze.  Plus the RV Antifreeze has rust inhibitors in it and is compatible with plastics, etc.

FWIW,

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, February 10, 2015 - 10:21 PM.

• MH81, backwoods and Auburn David have said thanks

#24 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 10:23 PM

I guess you could use transmission fluid as well???

Transmission fluid may soften the rubber on your tires and cause them to break down faster.

Smitty

• Auburn David said thank you

#25 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 10:48 PM

Transmission fluid may soften the rubber on your tires and cause them to break down faster.

Smitty

True....Thanks!

#26 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 12:09 AM

I recommend using "rimguard", (beet juice)'. It's 3lbs heavier than water and will not freeze or rust your wheels. Talk to an ag tire shop. If you can install it yourself I think my juice was 3 bucks a gallon.
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#27 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 12:52 AM

I recommend using "rimguard", (beet juice)'. It's 3lbs heavier than water and will not freeze or rust your wheels. Talk to an ag tire shop. If you can install it yourself I think my juice was 3 bucks a gallon.

That's definitely cheaper than RV antifreeze!!

Smitty

#28 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 07:59 AM

Im looking at filling my tires on the ford 3000. I thought I had a line on used anti freeze, not sure if that is still a "go" or not. Still looking for options. The rear tires hold abuot 35 gallons each. Too tight to spend $100+ a tire right now, still buying pellets and propane. I might weight till spring and fill with water only, then let out the water and "freeze protect" what is still in there next fall

#29 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 10:28 AM

I used one of these

image_16308.jpg

Although mine didn't come with the handy valve stem adapter. I just used a smaller piece of hose and a couple of zip ties to keep it together. Every so often I had to take the hose off to let the air out. Took no time at all to fill the tires.

• KennyP and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#30 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 01:35 PM

should i mix water an washer fluid together or just straight washer fluid an ill have 3 gallons total for right now after tonight how much more will i need?