• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BigCountry95 OFFLINE  

BigCountry95
  • Member No: 67398
  • 14 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 11:24 PM

This past year I inherited a simplicity landlord from my grandfather. i would really love to get the thing up and running and eventually restore it completely. My question is, where to begin? The last time it ran was when i was 5. Im now 20.. it has sat through now 15 years or brutal winters, summers and everything else in between. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1545982_10202585976791512_8445538960222275905_n.jpg
  • 10517988_10202585976631508_6281307386981625063_n.jpg

• rustyoldjunk, hamman, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 12:02 AM

Welcome to GTT. You made the right start by coming here. Congratulations on a family heirloom and a great tractor. Start by downloading the manuals. You can download 3 for free per day from our Manuals Section. Read the thread earlier today about the 64 Landlord. That is not a Simplicity plow on it.

Start out with the manual and do all the service to it. Then you may be able to get it to start. Good Luck, Rick

Try  http://gardentractor...pairman-manual/

http://gardentractor...0-landlord-101/

http://gardentractor...service-manual/

Edited by boyscout862, February 10, 2015 - 12:41 AM.

• Gtractor, hamman, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 03:25 AM

First thing I would do is grab the crank shaft and see it the engine will turn over if it does pour an once or two of marvel mystery oil in the plug hole turn it by hand a couple of turns,put the plug back in and leave it soak and proceed with getting the first layer of grease and dirt off the engine--It's more fun working on clean engine.A compression test will tell you if any valves are stuck open,  

Next  thing I would do is flush out the gas tank then clean the sentiment bowl if it has one or replace fuel filter and any rubber fuel line.The carb will probably need to be taken apart and cleaned out if it's been sitting that long(the site sponsors are a great place to get a rebuild kit).After you got the fuel system ready to go,I would drain the oil and refill,get a new plug and check for spark, Good chance you won't have any because the points may be corroded,They can be cleaned but as long as you have to open something up to get at them you would be better off replacing them so order points and condenser when you order the carb kit. 

Once your carb is done and have spark she should run,If she runs open a cold one and admire your work if not open a cold one and cuss at it. 

ALSO make sure you blow out all the mouse poop and nests and dirt out of the shroud and fins 

Everyone has their own way of doing things but this is how I would do it.You will find a lot of tips in the mechanical topics on every thing mentioned above.  

I just kidding when I say this but the first thing I would do knock that head light off the hood and cover that seat with something . 

• Gtractor, hamman, IamSherwood and 5 others have said thanks

#4 BigCountry95 OFFLINE  

BigCountry95
  • 14 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 03:48 AM

Welcome to GTT. You made the right start by coming here. Congratulations on a family heirloom and a great tractor. Start by downloading the manuals. You can download 3 for free per day from our Manuals Section. Read the thread earlier today about the 64 Landlord. That is not a Simplicity plow on it.

Start out with the manual and do all the service to it. Then you may be able to get it to start. Good Luck, Rick

Try http://gardentractor...pairman-manual/
http://gardentractor...0-landlord-101/
http://gardentractor...service-manual/

Thank you for the welcome, and also the links! I had a really good feeling that that plow was not ment for this tractor. My Grandfather said so himself that it wasn't.
  • hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 BigCountry95 OFFLINE  

BigCountry95
  • 14 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 03:51 AM

First thing I would do is grab the crank shaft and see it the engine will turn over if it does pour an once or two of marvel mystery oil in the plug hole turn it by hand a couple of turns,put the plug back in and leave it soak and proceed with getting the first layer of grease and dirt off the engine--It's more fun working on clean engine.A compression test will tell you if any valves are stuck open,
Next thing I would do is flush out the gas tank then clean the sentiment bowl if it has one or replace fuel filter and any rubber fuel line.The carb will probably need to be taken apart and cleaned out if it's been sitting that long(the site sponsors are a great place to get a rebuild kit).After you got the fuel system ready to go,I would drain the oil and refill,get a new plug and check for spark, Good chance you won't have any because the points may be corroded,They can be cleaned but as long as you have to open something up to get at them you would be better off replacing them so order points and condenser when you order the carb kit.
Once your carb is done and have spark she should run,If she runs open a cold one and admire your work if not open a cold one and cuss at it.
ALSO make sure you blow out all the mouse poop and nests and dirt out of the shroud and fins
Everyone has their own way of doing things but this is how I would do it.You will find a lot of tips in the mechanical topics on every thing mentioned above.

I just kidding when I say this but the first thing I would do knock that head light off the hood and cover that seat with something .

Wow! Thank you! Im gonna take all your suggestions and use them along with the manual. Also, the gas tank is shot on it. Rusted completely through on two of the four corners.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 05:11 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have some issues to get through, but it will be worth it as the tractor has a family history!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 05:22 AM

:welcometogttalk:

The blade was originally for a David Bradley walk behind.  Nothing wrong with having a different brand attachment on there and if grandpa is the one that modified it to fit thats even better!  :worshippy1:  

That plus being in Michigan you might sometimes need a snow blade.  :smilewink:

Those are really well built tractors and worth the effort required to bring it back to life.

Best of Luck!  :wave:

#8 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 05:47 AM

Sweet tractor, I have two like it.  I agree with what the others have said but I have one thing to add to this, save yourself a headache and pull the motor straight off, go thru it on a bench where you can get all the covers of and give that motor a good cleaning, check the coil while you have the motor of ( you cannot get at it with the motor on the tractor ) once that is all figured out give it a good cleaning some good tires and have fun!!!!!!

• hamman, boyscout862, Bmerf and 2 others have said thanks

#9 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 07:24 AM

I would pull the engine as Pete said. It's a simple job and you will most likely find some issues you will have to deal with. It will also make it easier to inspect the wiring and clean all of the electrical connections. I've been through this routine more than a few times, and pulling the engine turned out to be a good decision.
  • hamman, boyscout862, Bmerf and 1 other said thanks

#10 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 07:24 AM

Nice tractor and some good advice from Bill 76.  Like most things free there is a cost involved. Hopefully yours is gentle  on the wallet.

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 08:07 AM

Welcome!!!

Nice tractor, I would keep the moss seat though  :poke:  :D

The others are pretty much spot on. As for the gas tank, I am not sure what that one has in it, but I would imagine you can find similar ones on evilbay, either from that model or I would imgine there are many that will fit. For testing purposes, you may be able to just rig up a small container with a small amount of gas just to try to get it started then get a proper replacement.

• hamman and Bill 76 have said thanks

#12 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 10:15 AM

Welcome to GTTalk! :wave:

• BigCountry95 said thank you

#13 BigCountry95 OFFLINE  

BigCountry95
  • 14 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 10:17 AM

Welcome to GTTalk! :wave:

Thank you!
  • Gabriel said thank you

#14 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 12:04 PM

That thing looks beautiful to me!  I almost bought one a few years ago and was afraid I would never find parts.  I sure wish I had bought it now!  Take your time and you will have it running again before you know it.

You are in the right place.

#15 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 12:31 PM

Welcome to the club! Always nice to see family Gts being passed along & kept in the family.