Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

SSI Conversion, problems, nightmare, and revelation...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 08:18 AM

I feel your pain in the no spark issue with the SSI modules/ignitions. I have a custom ignition but it can still be a pain sometimes. Glad you finally figured it out.

• Maerskn said thank you

#17 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 09:49 AM

The funny thing is that I am almost positive that none of the components were ever bad. My Ed Stoller conversion goes back to 2010 and has never given me a problem.... ever.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#18 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 09:54 AM

I can see that. I am planning to modify an SSI module myself to make one of his systems, hoping to put the whole system together for under $60

Edited by TAHOE, February 10, 2015 - 09:55 AM.

• limebuzz said thank you

#19 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,874 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 12:16 PM

Whatever made you swap the cables backwards ? just out of frustration, last resort did you know that what  happened was a possibility with the battery reverse charging ? just curious because I would have shoved it off a cliff and went on CL for a different MF

• Alc and Bill 76 have said thanks

#20 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 12:19 PM

I learn something new every day.  I am glad you figured out the problem and shared it with us.   Thank you.

On a positive note, I am sure by now, you are tired of all the snow but it wont last much longer, Springtime is on the way.  :wave:

snow.jpg

• FirefyterEmt and Bill 76 have said thanks

#21 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 05:28 PM

Whatever made you swap the cables backwards ? just out of frustration, last resort did you know that what happened was a possibility with the battery reverse charging ? just curious because I would have shoved it off a cliff and went on CL for a different MF

It was the very last step after re-checking wires for the hundredth time to pull out the test meter to re-test to make sure there were no broken wires and I had 12v where it was supposed to be. I always like to touch the meter to the battery before testing just so I know the meter cables are good. When I did, I just got lucky and saw it read negative! That could of been easy to miss too.... After I confirmed the meter was not messed up and the battery was charged backwards, reversing the cables was the obvious choice to see if I had spark.
The most amazing thing is I left the tail light on all night and all day.... Dang if the battery is not dead yet!!! I have not turned on the headlights too....
  • MH81, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 05:37 PM

Yeah, it will be a long time past visible light before the meter will tell you it's actually at 0

Once you get it low enough, you might be able to piggyback another battery long enough to get the polarity right and get the charger going.
  • Alc said thank you

#23 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 06:10 PM

Yea, that's the plan... I am pretty impressed that the tail light can last almost 24 hours and show no signs of dimming! The headlights will draw it down much faster and I will try to take it to one of the parts stores and see if they can bring her back to life.
  • MH81 said thank you

#24 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 11:11 PM

Your battery maintainer must be different than mine. These say if the voltage drops below 12v it will not bring them back up. They sure do make a difference on a cold start though. 

#25 pianotuner OFFLINE  

pianotuner

• Member No: 7799
  • 55 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 04:37 PM

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did this on a car! and fried the computer and and so on!  Totally dead batteries will charge in reverse.  I had to cut out the aftermarket alarm system and now the door lock switch doesn't work.

Thanks for making me feel not so dumb.  If you could make that mistake I feel much better.  Of course I have 6 cars to keep charged.