19 replies to this topic

#16 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,160 Thanks
  • 8,881 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 07:54 AM

Whatever you are going to do, you better do it soon. The weather guessers are talking a little more snow on Thursday, below zero temps for the weekend, and another storm on Monday. Good Luck, Rick

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 08:13 AM

It could easily be a governor issue. Often the linkages get worn and if the motor has ever been disassembled the governor could be assembled out of adjustment and just too lazy to give it WOT on that hill. How tired is your engine? I assume you are also running a separate hydraulic pump for the loader. So, you are running the hydro and that pump as well. Could the loader pump be sucking up too much HP for some reason? Perhaps you could try running the tractor without the loader pump running. 

#18 Busted wheel OFFLINE  

Busted wheel
  • Member No: 61956
  • 17 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 06:35 AM

I had a 12 hp Tecumseh that appeared to run great as long as I was just driving around, but couldn't handle the mower deck.  It turned out that advanced firing pin was driven too far in and the engine was running with advanced timing.  I found it by using a timing light and marking the flywheel and blower tin to mark the firing position.  

You could try to eliminate engine troubles by putting some load on the PTO that another engine can pull easily.

The other question I have is, are you pushing the hydro stick all the way forward.  With a hydro, that means you are running in the equivalent of high gear.  Does the tractor "breathe" easier if you pull back on the control and slow down?  I've got a Hydro with a fairly new 13 hp engine, shoving the stick forward still makes the engine grunt.

I will have to check the timing. Keep in mind I I am learning everything as I go, but does the hydro have a High and Low type position? So you are saying that all the way forward would be high (Like 5th in a car) so somehere between neutral and that would be the low setting? I was under the impression that it was one gear forward, and one reverse.

Have checked the timing. I know my LGT 100 got to point once where it had problems climbing hills even in low gear. One the reasons I started checking everything is after I finished rebuilding the motor it always seemed to have plenty of power. I grabbed my timing light & hook it up to find the timing was way off. When checking the point I felt lucky it was running because the points where barely opening. Adjusted the points bringing the timing back where it should have been. This time making sure it was good & tight as it had slipped.

Charlie

I think I really need to do a solid tune up. Check the points, timing, carb etc...

It could easily be a governor issue. Often the linkages get worn and if the motor has ever been disassembled the governor could be assembled out of adjustment and just too lazy to give it WOT on that hill. How tired is your engine? I assume you are also running a separate hydraulic pump for the loader. So, you are running the hydro and that pump as well. Could the loader pump be sucking up too much HP for some reason? Perhaps you could try running the tractor without the loader pump running. 

The loader runs on a separate pump, but uses the electric clutch to engage, so you can turn it off so the engine is not turning it. I always had it off when I was trying to climb a hill.

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,428 Thanks
  • 44,931 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 07:11 AM

I'm still thinking it's flooding. The carb on the engine is on the rear side of it. Going up hill, the fuel could be overflowing back into the breather area, causing it to flood out. Does it start smoking out the exhaust when doing this?

You can recreate the uphill condition. If you raise the front end of the tractor about 6-1/4", you will be at your grade. Take the breather assy off the carb and fire it up. See if excess fuel is trying to come out.

• JDBrian said thank you

#20 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 451 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 10:41 PM

Just one more gloom and doom possibility..... How tired is the engine? Maybe do a compression check/leak down. I had a Deere 110 (8hp k181) that ran fine when not under load, and cut ok in second, but it would bog out and die cutting in 3rd or when it got In heavy grass.  

There was a point where the anemic engine was overpowered by the additional load - a combination of wear, and a burned valve.

Once the engine was overhauled, it cuts great in any gear and has way more power - go figure. Your engine may be down enough on power that the extra load is too much for it.

But I would check timing and all the other suggestions as well since they are easier to fix!

• Alc said thank you