• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Busted wheel OFFLINE  

Busted wheel
  • Member No: 61956
  • 17 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 01:36 PM

I put the tractor away behind my shed a few months ago, which was the dumbest idea ever now that we have 3 feet of snow. In order to get it out it out I would have to shovel a path about 100 yds long and wide enough for the tractor. Rookie mistake. While it's buried I've been doing some thinking and I had a question on the tractor and hills that i was hoping someone could help me with.

My tractor really struggles on part of my driveway. I have 2 sections of driveway that are both about 100 Ft long, and about a 15% grade (which google says is an 8.5 degree angle in case it helps)They are smooth pavement so i wouldn't think it would be an issue, but it is. It struggles even empty (nothing in the bucket, and no counterweight in the box, but still with the wheel weights on.) It has the Hydro transmission, but it is actually the engine that bogs down and wants to stall. If I can get a fair running start I can get up over the top, but again thats empty, so loaded I'd be hosed.

Was the tractor just not meant for climbing? It is the 12HP model.

Here is a pic from when I first got it for reference.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-61956-0-76734200-1410220735.jpg

• tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 02:53 PM

Maybe the float is set just a bit high and it floods going uphill?

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and Auburn David have said thanks

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 03:07 PM

Break not fully releasing?..I had that problem on an old Craftsman I had...

• tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,701 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 03:29 PM

How does it do when pulling weight on a flat surface?  If it only does it on a hill then check as suggested above and check your fuel tank for blockages or broken fuel pickup tube.  I don't know how many weedeaters I get in with the complaint "I just tilt it a little and it dies." Just about every time it's a broken fuel line. 

• tinbender7, boyscout862 and Auburn David have said thanks

#5 Busted wheel OFFLINE  

Busted wheel
  • 17 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 04:03 PM

it's possible that the float could be set a little high, or that the carb in general needs some tuning. I rebuilt the carb with a kit and I just set it to whatever the factory was and tuned slightly to run nicely, but probably not optimally.

It may be the brakes, but I've got a lot of travel before they engage, but it does sound like that could be the bogging.

By your questions, I take it that it is not normal though, which is relieving.

• tinbender7, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 04:22 PM

The difference between it being brakes and carb are..if its bogging out like the engine is being pulled down from load,or if its cutting out from lack of fuel

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,658 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 04:23 PM

Seems like quite a load with just that loader on a smaller tractor?  Maybe just not big enough HP or weaker older engine for that big rig?  Maybe a little more governor speed would help?

• HDWildBill and Auburn David have said thanks

#8 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 04:34 PM

Seems like quite a load with just that loader on a smaller tractor?  Maybe just not big enough HP or weaker older engine for that big rig?  Maybe a little more governor speed would help?

Yea that could be it for sure...

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 04:35 PM

Have you checked the Hydro and rear end for fluids? Just trying to cover all bases!

• boyscout862 and Auburn David have said thanks

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 05:39 PM

Could just be the governor out of adjustment & not opening the throttle enough.

• KennyP, JDBrian, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#11 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 06:57 PM

A 15% grade is normally the steepest grade allowed for a paved driveway. It does present problems for many vehicles. I would start with a full tuneup including adjusting the governor. Do a full service too. Look for fuel constrictions and check the air filter. 

I would suggest useing snow shoes to get to the tractor and then dig its own way out. Similar experience taught me to hand dig two tractor lengths before starting so that you can manuver. Learn to downpressure the bucket to help climb the piles(and get more snow out of the way). Life is learning. Next year you should have atleast three tractors( FEL, plow, and blower w/ cab).  Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill, FilledTires, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#12 Busted wheel OFFLINE  

Busted wheel
  • 17 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 09:33 PM

The difference between it being brakes and carb are..if its bogging out like the engine is being pulled down from load,or if its cutting out from lack of fuel

I would say that is is more bogging out than being starved for fuel. I ran all new fuel lines, filter, shut off valve, rebuilt the carb and fuel pump, so I know it's all in good shape. The tuning of the carb could sure be an issue though as I just set it to factory and tweaked til it ran smooth.

Agreed. The Loader, the wheel weights, and the counterweight box seems aggressive. I'll do some searching on setting the governor speed as I am unfamiliar.

Have you checked the Hydro and rear end for fluids? Just trying to cover all bases!

I did, and they are all good to go.

A 15% grade is normally the steepest grade allowed for a paved driveway. It does present problems for many vehicles. I would start with a full tuneup including adjusting the governor. Do a full service too. Look for fuel constrictions and check the air filter. 

I would suggest useing snow shoes to get to the tractor and then dig its own way out. Similar experience taught me to hand dig two tractor lengths before starting so that you can manuver. Learn to downpressure the bucket to help climb the piles(and get more snow out of the way). Life is learning. Next year you should have atleast three tractors( FEL, plow, and blower w/ cab).  Good Luck, Rick

My driveway would never pass code today. Neither would some other the other aspects of my house. It was the 70s though, so who knows.

Could just be the governor out of adjustment & not opening the throttle enough.

I am going to check into that.

• boyscout862 and Auburn David have said thanks

#13 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 10:07 PM

I had a 12 hp Tecumseh that appeared to run great as long as I was just driving around, but couldn't handle the mower deck.  It turned out that advanced firing pin was driven too far in and the engine was running with advanced timing.  I found it by using a timing light and marking the flywheel and blower tin to mark the firing position.  

You could try to eliminate engine troubles by putting some load on the PTO that another engine can pull easily.

The other question I have is, are you pushing the hydro stick all the way forward.  With a hydro, that means you are running in the equivalent of high gear.  Does the tractor "breathe" easier if you pull back on the control and slow down?  I've got a Hydro with a fairly new 13 hp engine, shoving the stick forward still makes the engine grunt.

• Alc and Auburn David have said thanks

#14 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 357 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 10:10 PM

Have checked the timing. I know my LGT 100 got to point once where it had problems climbing hills even in low gear. One the reasons I started checking everything is after I finished rebuilding the motor it always seemed to have plenty of power. I grabbed my timing light & hook it up to find the timing was way off. When checking the point I felt lucky it was running because the points where barely opening. Adjusted the points bringing the timing back where it should have been. This time making sure it was good & tight as it had slipped.

Charlie

• Auburn David said thank you

#15 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 11:08 PM

I don't have a 15% grade, but my drive, and road leads down hill (enough to get up to 20 mph in neutral, which is what my Son did to try and bump start his Mazda Miata. Ended up at the bottom of the hill (100 yards or so) from the drive. Hooked up the LGT 145 and (forgot to go to LOW range) and towed the car up the hill on pavement in HI range (tranny did wine, but not too bad), made the turn into the dirt drive and the tires broke traction, grabbed LOW range and leaned back in the seat and the All terrains hooked up and I finished pulling the car up the drive. At no point did the 14HP Kohler bog down. It did labor a bit in HI range, but held the RPM consistent till I cut the corner to the steeper grade drive, here I broke traction and switched to LO.    

Edited by larrybl, February 09, 2015 - 11:08 PM.

• Alc, boyscout862 and Auburn David have said thanks