• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 MowerOCD OFFLINE  

MowerOCD
  • Member No: 62803
  • 25 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 01:32 PM

I'm looking at one this week. I have about a quarter acre and this one comes with a deck. Are they pretty reliable? Would it make a good all around work machine? Not looking to have a show tractor although I have to say i love the look of them with the headlights! This one has the rear hydraulic lift as well. 

Thanks!

• tinbender7, Traill95, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 01:39 PM

I don't know much about them but I always liked the look of them . As far as I know it is a good solid machine. I'm sure others can help u out on here. Good luck. Tom
  • Traill95, boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 03:27 PM

IMG_0686.JPG It is indeed a very good machine and provides a great cut along with its ability to plow snow very well ,and last but not least its classic looks what more could a girl want

Edited by HANKG, February 09, 2015 - 03:33 PM.

• Traill95, boyscout862, classic and 1 other said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,801 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 03:32 PM

They are great tractors. The ACs and Simplicitys of the sixties are the same machines but different grills, seats and decals. I like them so much that I have 7 of them. Parts are still available and attachments are plentifull. Check out  www.simpletractors.com  to learn more. The other advantage of these is that they have been generally under priced compared to other brands. The hydraulic lift is a great option. Post some pics and ask your questions. Good Luck, Rick

• tinbender7, Traill95 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 04:27 PM

Ummm! Is that Avatar the poster? or just say a daughter?  You Guy's assuming it was a girl posting, but no signature to really know. Just wondering!  Not a pervert.

• Traill95, Sawdust and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#6 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 04:48 PM

These are great tractors as others have stated. Put the tractor in gear with the engine off and roll it back and forth. This will let you know how worn the drivetrain is pretty quickly. There are videos on youtube showing you how to check other areas of the tractor for wear. They are simple to work on and perform well. I picked this one up last year and have since replaced the seat.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-52970-0-38487500-1407953964.jpg

• boyscout862, HANKG, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 06:39 PM

You are pretty safe buying an old allis or simplicity like that, they are great machines and easy to work on.  you should expect to have some troubles up front with worn out parts and such but once you get the kinks worked out you will love it.  I have had mine for well over 10 years and use it all the time for everything.  I would say use the advise given and your best judgment and go for it.

Pete

• classic said thank you

#8 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 10:26 PM

Im a pretty big fan! Is the price reasonable? If so, they arent much of a gamble. They are possibly the best looking GT ever built.

20141030_215228.jpg
20140531_162735.jpg
  • Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 06:36 AM

They are possibly the best looking GT ever built

They are one of my favorites too !    Though to be honest having the little guy in bibs stand on ANY tractor will make it look good 

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and HANKG have said thanks

#10 MowerOCD OFFLINE  

MowerOCD
  • Member No: 62803
  • 25 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 07:01 AM

You guys have me SUPER EXCITED lol. Yes, my profile pic is my Facebook pic of my daughter. I am a 36yr old bearded man lol. Thanks for all of the info!

• Texas Deere and Horse, HANKG and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 08:00 AM

Tainted......Headlights OFF, looks like OK tractor, with the lights, just UGLY!  I hate tractors with lights that look like they were added on after design was made, like they Forgot them or something. Glad we got the gender thing straight now, ha!

#12 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 09:47 AM

Great little old strong tractor powered by a B/S 23D engine from the factory.

Dad bought this one new in 1964 with a deck tiller and snow blade. He mowed almost two acres with it and had a garden 100' x 50' feet he tilled with it. he also used the snow blade to clean the drive way but after a bad storm in 1966 he got a snow blower for it.

Dadmakingtheturn.jpg

101213_OldCamera_3013.jpg

landlordsnowbloweranddad.jpg

In 1971 it got retired from lawn mowing and just tilled the garden and blew the snow. When dad passed away in 2010 it no longer tilled the garden just blew snow from the drive way. Not a lick of repairs have to be made on the tractor including the engine other that the routine stuff like points, condenser,  plugs, new battery and a belt for the generator starter and the oil changes.

:D   Al.

• KennyP, boyscout862, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#13 Simpleton OFFLINE  

Simpleton
  • Member No: 67116
  • 108 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 10:01 AM

Tainted......Headlights OFF, looks like OK tractor, with the lights, just UGLY!  I hate tractors with lights that look like they were added on after design was made, like they Forgot them or something. Glad we got the gender thing straight now, ha!

I'm a new guy here, so I don't want to start any trouble, and with "grumpy" in your handle, I probably will :biting_nails: , but I have to strongly disagree with you here, Sir. Them lights make the older Simplicity's look CLASSIC!

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, JDBrian and 3 others have said thanks

#14 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 03:54 PM

I hoard the OEM Guide lights....within 10 minutes of unloading a new arrival at home, they get installed.  Love em!  Unfortunately, the guys buying them love them too, and the prices places like ebay, are ridiculous.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Lauber1 and Simpleton have said thanks

#15 Simpleton OFFLINE  

Simpleton
  • Member No: 67116
  • 108 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 04:23 PM

I hoard the OEM Guide lights....within 10 minutes of unloading a new arrival at home, they get installed.  Love em!  Unfortunately, the guys buying them love them too, and the prices places like ebay, are ridiculous.

I was afraid that was the case. I just picked up a ratty 3012 and was going to put a set of lights on it when I eventually restore it. It has 1 light and the remains of a bracket on it now. They were aftermarket I'm sure.

unnamed.jpg