• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 wahoowad OFFLINE  

wahoowad
  • Member No: 63279
  • 49 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 03:47 PM

My auto parts place had a 4-wire set for $30 so I'll probably go ahead and chase down a set of the Onan wires even if I only get 2 for the same price. Right now I don't have a need for the remaining 2 wires.

#17 wahoowad OFFLINE  

wahoowad
  • 49 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 03:53 PM

Hmmm....Gary's Place lists this Economy Set as follows "ONAN SPARK PLUG WIRE SET TWO COMPLETE WIRES. SOLID COPPER CAN BE USED ON ANY TYPE COIL VERY HIGH QUALITY MOLDED END, EASY TO INSTALL PUSH ON END CUT TO LENGTH"

Is solid wire OK? My current wires are stranded which probably help ensure contact when I push the end down onto that little metal spike inside the coil.

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 04:44 PM

That would be a very good place to get them! I get a lot of Onan parts from him!

• Delmar said thank you

#19 wahoowad OFFLINE  

wahoowad
  • 49 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 09:41 PM

The original ones are stranded. I'm leary of using these "economy" ones with solid conductor. It could make/break contact with the little probe in the coil.

#20 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 995 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted February 16, 2015 - 02:48 PM

Hi I maybe wrong but I think solid is a generic term for wire stranded SP wires, I've never seen a solid wire plug wire the resistor leads are carbon not solid and I think that's were the term got its start, I make my own also I have wire in bulk just make them to length, actually the carbon wires will work also but I prefer the wire cores.If you go to a farm / tractor supply store they will have SP wire kits available and they will be stranded wire ass all the older farm tractor used them.

Edited by MNGB, February 16, 2015 - 02:50 PM.