• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 06:24 PM

Yep, that would do it!  Glad it was simple.  But I don't understand how you got an "open line" reading??

That wire was completely severed under the insulation.

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 06:50 PM

That wire was completely severed under the insulation.

Oh!  Again, that would do it!  :D

• IamSherwood and FilledTires have said thanks

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 10:24 PM

Glad you got that sorted out. My JD 318 PTO would kick out on me when mowing. I tracked that one down to a relay plug.
Vibration would cause the plug to back out. So whenever I have a PTO problem that is the first thing I check.
  • FilledTires said thank you

#19 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 06:21 AM

Glad to hear the problem was only a wire :thumbs: Those electric clutch are pretty $$$$ to replace

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 07:31 AM

That's an easy mistake to make. It caused a short in the wiring and an open circuit in the clutch at the same time! Electric clutches can run into the 300$ range so this is a big bonus. You could rebuild them by melting out the old wax and coil assembly, winding a new one and re potting it into the housing. If someone is able to do that I think it would be worth 100$as long as the rest of the clutch is in good shape. 

I have had to rewire all 3 of the GT's I've bought over the last few years. It's not usually a difficult job and you end up with a good understanding of the electrical system as well as a more reliable tractor. 

• Alc and FilledTires have said thanks

#21 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 08:53 PM

That's an easy mistake to make. It caused a short in the wiring and an open circuit in the clutch at the same time! Electric clutches can run into the 300$ range so this is a big bonus. You could rebuild them by melting out the old wax and coil assembly, winding a new one and re potting it into the housing. If someone is able to do that I think it would be worth 100$as long as the rest of the clutch is in good shape. 

I have had to rewire all 3 of the GT's I've bought over the last few years. It's not usually a difficult job and you end up with a good understanding of the electrical system as well as a more reliable tractor. 

Wow I didn't know the PTO Clutch is so expensive! I actually have 4 of them!  :D

I know how I will fund my next project now. ;)

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 06:41 AM

All I know is that a JD clutch for a 317 is north of 300$ in Canada. Other brands may be less but I think they are all pretty pricey these days. Even used ones are getting up there. 

• Alc said thank you

#23 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 07:04 AM

You could have a shorted clutch coil but you also need to check your wiring including the PTO switch wiring. I have had problems with the switch on 2 of my older tractors.  It's never a good idea to bypass the fuse from the circuit of something that is blowing them.  By doing that you allowed almost unlimited current to flow which could start a fire if there is a short somewhere. An easy check of the clutch coil is to turn the key off and measure the coil resistance with an ohm meter. Generally, it will be in the 3-4 ohm range. If the clutch has 1 wire you would measure between that wire and the chassis of the engine it's mounted on. 

:ditto:  :ditto:  :ditto:  :ditto:  :ditto:  :ditto:  :ditto:  :ditto:

Also, the clutch coil must be isolated from the tractor's frame and engine with the clutch unplugged..  Test for any continuity between beth PTO clutch wires and the engine or frame.  If there is any, the coil is shorted out and needs to be replaced.

• Alc and JDBrian have said thanks

#24 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 07:10 AM

:ditto:  :ditto:  :ditto:  :ditto:  :ditto:  :ditto:  :ditto:  :ditto:

Also, the clutch coil must be isolated from the tractor's frame and engine with the clutch unplugged..  Test for any continuity between beth PTO clutch wires and the engine or frame.  If there is any, the coil is shorted out and needs to be replaced.

Only if it's a clutch with 2 wires. Many of the older ones have only 1 wire and rely on the engine chassis to return current to the battery. On those clutches you will always measure the clutch coil resistance to chassis. When you think about the environment those clutches work in, it's a wonder they last as long as they do. Vibration and heat from the electrical power they use as well as being bolted to an often hard working hot running air cooled engine block. It's a tough environment. 

• olcowhand, WNYTractorTinkerer and FilledTires have said thanks