Looking at this tractor and need some info

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chadn1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 67319
  • 2 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 07:38 PM

Sale price for the whole package is $1850.  First off is that too much, way out of line, or maybe not a bad deal.  Second how hard will it be to get parts to repair the mower.

Third my proposed use for this is maintenance of a 3 acre yard with a large garden.  We will have snow and could have as much as 300 feet of driveway to clear.  Most snows will be less than 10 inches some could be larger.  From what he describes it should work for that.

Sperry Rand New Holland S-14 Garden Tractor. It has a 14hp Kolar engine that starts & runs great. It's a very powerfull high torque motor. It has a fully hydrostatic drive as well as hydraulic front, mid & rear lifts. It also has front, mid & rear PTO hookups. Always starts & always works when you need it. In the past 30+ years I've not seen a snow in central Nebraska these tractors couldn't handle. It comes with a 48" Ariens (New Holland) tiller, 48" New Holland snowblower & 48" heavy duty New Holland front blade. I also have a 48" New Holland mower deck, I'll throw in with it. The mower needs new parts to work I think spindles & blades. It comes with 2 wheel weights & tire chains.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• tinbender7 and suieswam have said thanks

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,863 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 08:04 PM

same as the Ariens S and GT series, very beefy tractors.

Ariens bought this lineup from New Holland back in the early 70s, painted them orange and changed the name on them to Ariens,  it's as simple as that. 

That engine was very popular in lots of different machines so finding another wouldn't be that big of deal if the need arose,  parts are not cheap, but those were a very durable engine. Definitely NOT a "throw a way"!! 

I'd like to have some of those attachments for mine,,, (but too far away)

they made that same tractor with anything from an 8 HP Kohler single to a 20 HP Kohler twin over the years..

That would be more than I'd pay, but that is me....

Being an actual "New Holland" it's got some age on it, I do not know if NH continued to market that machine after Ariens bought it... but if not then that machine is 1974 at the newest.  Don't get me wrong there isn't a box store machine in the last 10 years that could touch the "toughness" and durability of them but at (at least) 40 years old Don't buy it without expecting to have to do "some" work to it. 

Considering the deck spindles/bearings, as long as the bearings weren't allowed to get bad enough to damage the spindles, once taken apart you should be able to match the bearings easily at a place like Motion Industries... usually with a choice of quality you want, and cheaper than the Ariens dealer.... who is unlikely these days to still have anyone working there that remembers the NH versions....

Edited by dodge trucker, February 07, 2015 - 08:13 PM.

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,529 Thanks
  • 6,382 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 08:37 PM

I'm thinking that Ariens made the tractors After their orange designs, not other way around????  What-ever, they were pretty good rigs, had an awful color, sort of greenish. Seems like a bigger price tag, but w/out pix to see the shape it is in, hard to say.

• Leonard VanCamp said thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,520 Thanks
  • 7,382 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 12:00 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. Good Luck, Rick

#5 suieswam OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10196
  • 25 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 01:28 PM

they were designed by New Holland and sold to Ariens in earlier 1970s. 

i helped to build the prototypes a good tractor .

#6 Natureboy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 49649
  • 70 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 02:53 PM

They are excellent heavy duty GTs. I think he wants too much though. If this helps, a couple years ago I bought the Ariens version S16-H, a 1977 model. Came with the tiller, 42" deck, 48" snow blower and a parts blower, along with the service manual & 2 link chains. I paid $900. Some parts such as the lift cylinder and lift control can no longer be purchased, but can be rebuilt. I sold the tiller & deck, and bought the 3 point attachment (which IS still available) and its been worth its weight in gold for snow blowing & grunt work around the yard.
If you can get it for a decent price and don't mind working on it (its old-stuff gets tired & breaks)you should go for it.