• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,081 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 06:31 PM

Any advice on rethreading the exhaust port ? I got a 1" npt tap but can't get it to start

#2 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 07:23 PM

Take a die grinder or dremel type tool and bevel the inside edge of the port out just a little to get it started. Good luck with it.
Jack..
  • bbuckler said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 07:23 PM

Be very patient and carefull. Clean everything and hand clean the threads as much as you can. Make sure the tap has the correct taper. Oil it abit and work slowly. One time, I took a piece of scrap pipe and threaded it to undersize diameter. I then filed a notch across the threads to make it a thread chaser. It was a bit smaller in diameter so, it started easier and did a bit of cleanning. A tap was then easier to start. You would need a bunch of the right tools(or a buddy with them). Good Luck, Rick

#4 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,081 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 07:33 PM

This is the one I got 

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 07:41 PM

Have you removed all of the original pipe, or is this a new thread in a redrilled hole.

A I" NPT tap requires a minimum 1-9/64" bore to thread properly. Tapering the bore will help.

#6 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,081 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 07:44 PM

Yes all the old pipe out. what happen was I was putting a new muffler on and elbow fell off. the old thread is broken and rusty

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 08:21 PM

Yes all the old pipe out. what happen was I was putting a new muffler on and elbow fell off. the old thread is broken and rusty

broken and rusty as in part of it still in the block?   that would make it hard to start the tap for sure.  Usually I find that the threads beyond what was originally used (yes they do usually extend deeper into the block than the pipe gets threaded in to)  are just fouled with carbon and that stuff is HARD!

Most pipe threaded into the exhaust port, is threaded hand tight (or less) and then a jam nut is used against the block to lock them into place. I like to chase the threads, knock that carbon buildup outta there and run the pipe in a lil deeper than it was, (at least snug) and then tighten the jam nut. the jam nut looks like something you would see on an electrical box in your house.

#8 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,081 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 08:34 PM

broken and rusty as in part of it still in the block?   that would make it hard to start the tap for sure.  Usually I find that the threads beyond what was originally used (yes they do usually extend deeper into the block than the pipe gets threaded in to)  are just fouled with carbon and that stuff is HARD!

Most pipe threaded into the exhaust port, is threaded hand tight (or less) and then a jam nut is used against the block to lock them into place. I like to chase the threads, knock that carbon buildup outta there and run the pipe in a lil deeper than it was, (at least snug) and then tighten the jam nut. the jam nut looks like something you would see on an electrical box in your house.

Nothing is in the block the threads on the inside are broken.

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 08:47 PM

Personally I think you will not be able to re-thread that port if all the metal threads are cleaned out all-ready. If it was to clean up the remaining threads, might work, but if a pipe just slips in and out, think it is Done!  Might be buying a new block? That area might be weak now and thin and might break on you as you try to re-work. Many times there are better threads deeper in hole as noted that are carbon filled and you can sometimes take a small pipe nipple and get it to grab those and still work.

#10 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,081 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 09:19 PM

Personally I think you will not be able to re-thread that port if all the metal threads are cleaned out all-ready. If it was to clean up the remaining threads, might work, but if a pipe just slips in and out, think it is Done!  Might be buying a new block? That area might be weak now and thin and might break on you as you try to re-work. Many times there are better threads deeper in hole as noted that are carbon filled and you can sometimes take a small pipe nipple and get it to grab those and still work.

If all else fails cause a  block is going to hard to find local can a small pipe be welded to the block ?

#11 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,081 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 09:41 PM

I'm thinking about finding a shop with someone with a little know how