318 transmission

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fordsrock OFFLINE  

• Member No: 67312
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 04:44 PM

I have a 318 that was my grandparents. The trans has never been right it used to go way to fast probably 20-25 on the road. Then it seemed to start losing drive like the trans was sliping. It lost reverse first. Took the tub off and done some adjusting then had reverse but no forward and now it won't really go either direction. Is the trans shot? Are they able to be rebuilt? Its to nice of mower to part out. Any help or tips would be appreciated many people have looked at it with no success.

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 04:50 PM

Welcome aboard Fordsrock.  One of the JD transmission guys should be along shortly that may be able to help.

#3 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,739 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 05:59 PM

The Sundstrand trans used in the 318 is pretty much bullet-proof.  It was first introduced in the 120 in 1970 and integrated into the 140 in 71.  That same basic unit was used until the end of the in 1992 when the 318/322/332 ended

Starting with the model 318 in the 1983 model year, John Deere completely redesigned the 300 series. It was as revolutionary as the 140 had been when it was introduced. From a clean sheet of paper came the model 316 and 318, respectively. Once again all of the attachments that could be used on the previous 140 and 300 series tractors could be adapted to the new 318. New design features included:

• Two-cylinder Onan air cooled engine with cast iron cylinder liners standard on both tractors.
  • Rear of frame redesigned to an "Open Frame" configuration, as opposed to "closed frame" design of previous 300 series tractors.
  • First use of annunciator lights incorporated into dash panel of 300 series tractors. Electromagnetic clutch for both front and rear PTO.
  • Redesigned fender deck resulting in a more "squared off" appearance resulting in greater operator protection and comfort.
  • Redesigned front axle to allow more weight bearing capacity. Replaceable spindle bushings.
  • Transaxle manufactured by Tecumseh, with a Hydraulic oil cooler as standard on the 318
  • True hydrostatic power steering. A first on a Lawn and Garden tractor.
  • A reserve fuel tank that allowed 15-30 minutes extra operating time.
  • Two spools of remote hydraulics

To get to your point - Have checked the fluid levels?  How about a recent hydro filter and fluid change?  If the fluid/filter change does not help it is possible you have a release valve sticking.  One of the members who know the 318 better than I do will likely post soon.

One more thought - HyGuard fluid from Deere is your best choice for the fill.  If the current fluid is red then it is running Type F ATF which will also work in the Sundstrand unit - that is what I am running in my 120.