• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Bleeding Green OFFLINE  

Bleeding Green
  • Member No: 67202
  • 53 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 03:37 PM

I wasn't planning on buying my first tractor this soon, but after showing this site to my husband Mark this morning, and him already knowing my love for John Deere's, he thinks a tractor is just what I need right now. Although we don't have it in our budget, Mark told me to start shopping around to see what is available for sale, and to what price range we would be looking at spending. Little does Mark know, I have already started looking around to what is available. Hee Hee!

Anyway, as I stated in my Membership introduction, my Dad taught me how to drive his John Deere 4020, and I loved that tractor so much. Since Mark and I don't have the room for something that big, I'm mostly interested in finding a garden tractor. I'm mostly interested in finding something that resembled my Dad's 4020, and after doing some searching, I found that the 110's and 140's really match up pretty well. Not sure if that was the manufacturers intent or not, but I really like them. 

So here are my questions:

1.Can anyone tell me what year the clam shell fendered 110's were made? Not sure why, but these tractors just have a certain appeal to me, and is making me want one.

2.Were these considered a garden tractor or are the just for mowing?

3.Are there any other attachments that will fit these tractors other than just a mower deck?

3.If just wanting a tractor for mostly gardening, what kind of attachments should I be interested in finding or pricing?

4.I might be out of line here, but is there a solid price range for buying one of these? Some idea as to what I might be spending?

5.Although not completely sold on them, what is the difference between 110's and 140's? I Google pictures and I can't really tell for sure, but it appears the 140's are a larger tractor, am I right?

I hope I don't overwhelm you all with questions, but now that I have Mark's blessing on this, I want to go forward in finding a 110 or 140 hopefully by Spring. I know some things about these tractors, but only enough to get by. Who knows, after finding the answers to my questions, I may not want either until it's all said and done. I know what I"m looking for, but just not sure what model I need. Mark is leaving this all up to me, so I want to do my homework and get something that we'll be happy with for a long time.

Thanks for the help and support, and many Blessings!

Rachel 

• johndeereelfman, tinbender7 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#2 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 03:55 PM

Well Rachel, first off, let me say that I like your choice of tractors! The 110's and 140's are good tractors. Although you call them clam shell fenders, they are more commonly known as round fenders. The round fender 110's were produced between 1963 through 1967. The first year (1963) 110's had 7hp Kohler engines, while the 1964 - 1967 all had 8hp Kohler engines. John Deere also produced a model 112 in 1966 and 1967. Basically the same exact tractor as the 110's. but were offered with 10hp Tecumseh engines. For a more in-depth serial number break down, please refer to JDFanatics.com website for more information. I have a complete listing of serial number breaks for each type and model of John Deere garden tractors that me suit your needs.

As for attachments, you could choose from a variety of options, ranging from the mower deck, a snowthrower, blade, rototiller, dump cart, and others. Brinly also had options for these tractors such as rear mounted dump cart, 8" through 12" single bottom plows, hitch mounted cultivators, and more. Either way, you should be able to find all of the accessories and attachments needed for you and your garden.

The 140 was a larger machine and offered 12 and 14hp Kohler engines. These tractors also had hydraulic lift and a hydrastatic transmission. You basically moved a lever forward or backward to engage your direction of travel choice. These tractors are quite desirable and almost every collector out there wants a 140. You basically had the same attachment options as offered with the 110, but with minor design changes.

As said, if you have a moment, please check out our other site, JDFanatics.com and scroll through the Lawn and Garden thread. You should be able to get some more answers to your questions, and if not, post them here and we will help out as much as we can.

Good luck, and hoping to be working with you soon! 

• lyall, tinbender7, Trav1s and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 04:29 PM

Welcome and it seems Troy gave you a good summary.  I have used both the RF 110 and the 140's little brother a 120.  I love them both but I find the hydrostat drive of the 120/140 to save a fair amount of time when mowing the same yard.  Both are tough as nails and will last with proper maintenance.  

Another option to consider is a '68-74 110 or 112 as they share the style with the 140 but share mechanicals with the RF110.  The plus of these flat fender machines is that they are very common and seem to be very reasonably priced.  If you go that direction, I would suggest a '73/74 machine as it has more in common with the 200 series released in 1975 than it does with the RF and early FF tractors.  

As for me, I have the 120, a late '67 RF, and an early '68 FF.  I love 'em all.

• lyall, johndeereelfman, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 06:03 PM

Sounds like your infected just like us! Good luck!

• tinbender7, Coventry Plumber and Bleeding Green have said thanks

#5 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 08:28 PM

Rachel , I'm sure a JD will turn up before you know it. We have a lot of eyes scanning North America on this site and your area is a Hot Spot for tractors I'd say. Keep researching and asking here to sharpen your eye for tractor hunting. Good luck
Tom
  • Bleeding Green said thank you

#6 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 08:50 PM

looks like you have been some good advise

the 110/112 from 68 to 74 are about the same.  the 73/74 110/112 parts also can be exchanged with the 200 series GT.  I like the 210, 212, 214 and 216 parts are easy to find.  some of the 110/112 and the 200 series had hydraulic lift.  also electric lift were added to the 200 series.  Great lifting a snow blower, front blade, tiller, and other rear attachment.  

When you got the one you want,  also keep looking for a part tractor.  you be glad you did, so that you have part on hand.

if you get a 110/112 or a 200 series GT be sure you check the transaxle.  Drive in around for a while up and down several inclines, to see if it pops out of gear.   it is easy to fix it before it breaks some gears in the transaxle.

if you do not manuals for the Kohler motor you can download one form the manual section on the site.

the transaxle manual for the 100/112 and 200 series are also in the manual section - look for PeerlessTransmission.pdf or the Peerless 2300 manuals

good luck and have fun

• Coventry Plumber and Bleeding Green have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 09:06 PM

Myself believes the 200 or 300 series of Deere's is a better buy for a more modern machine and later attachments. 300's are hydros and some hydrualic fittings on them for attachment  uses. Three point hitchs on many.  Not a Green fan here, but have had some 112's in my past. Tough machines, just most are worn out by now and need rebuilds and such to be a real daily user.

• Coventry Plumber and Bleeding Green have said thanks

#8 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 255 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 09:46 PM

Rachel:

Welcome to GTTalk and I really hope you find the tractor you want. I got my 1st JD garden tractor, a round fender 110 over 35 years ago, replaced it with a JD 140 H1 about 25 years ago, then replaced that one with a JD 318 about three and a half years ago. I loved them all, and I'm sure you will love what ever you get.

Not to try to influence you, but I could send you the JD 140 Operator's Manual as a PDF file, which would give you more info on one of your potential choices.  If you want it, I could send it as an attachment to a PM (Personal Message) here at GTTalk.

Harlan

• johndeereelfman and Bleeding Green have said thanks

#9 Bleeding Green OFFLINE  

Bleeding Green
  • 53 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for all of the help guys. You all seem to know your stuff! 

johndeereelfman: I will check out the site that you posted, and will let you know if I have further questions. 

KennyP: Don't know that I'm infected, but who knows what the future holds! I'm not looking to be a collector, just looking to fill a need. LOL

lyall: Are the 200 series tractors more plentiful than the 110's? If so, should that in itself be a concern? 

hdg4400: Yes, please send me PDF attachment. I'd be willing to review it before making a decision. Thanks so much!

I've been googling pictures again, and I think my heart is set on a "round fender" 110. I understand the 112's looking identical to the 110's, but I'm not crazy about the Tecumseh engines. Around the age of 14, my Dad had a pump that used a Kohler engine, and when it went bad, Dad and I worked together on it rebuilding it to almost new. I think I'd like to stick with a Kohler engine, and not something that I'm unfamiliar with. I'm sure engine are engines, and they all pretty much work the same, but seeing how this whole garden tractor thing is a new adventure for me, I think I'll just stick to what I know, and go one step at a time in learning the process. 

Thanks again guys for all of the help. I feel like you all are going out of your way, looking out for my best interest. This place is Great!

Many Blessings,

Rachel 

• KennyP, johndeereelfman and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#10 Bleeding Green OFFLINE  

Bleeding Green
  • 53 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 01:00 PM

Well I checked out JD Fanatics.com like requested, and can I say that I LOVE IT!!!! An all John Deere website with lots of great information. Thank you johndeereelfman for recommending it. Looks like you really did your homework, assuming you are the same person over there? I really like the pictures of all of the different tractor years, although the round fenders all look pretty much the same. 

While looking through the Gallery pictures, I took notice of a lot of different kinds of attachments, and let me say, I'm overwhelmed. I never would have realized that these little tractors could do so much. I saw two that had cab enclosures on them, and they look a lot better than the Craigslist add posted earlier of the 110 with the big plastic garbage bag looking thing that is for sale. 

So I guess now my questions is, are all of the attachments that I saw over on JD Fanatics expensive or easily found? It's one issue to say that I want something, when finding it may be an entirely different issue in itself. Is there some place to view the going rate of each attachment type? Still not sure what I might be wanting or needing yet, but if I have values to compare to, it may eliminate some of the thinking for me. Hee Hee.

Rachel 

• johndeereelfman and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#11 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 02:36 PM

Value of attachments is hard to narrow down. Example being, a snowthrower in Texas could sell for $50.00 since not needed, whereas a snowthrower in New York may sell for $300.00 since it would get used more. I personally don't know of any lists or charts of going resale value for attachments, but it could be something to think about doing in the near future. Location, condition, and availability being some of the key factors in determining the value. Seeing how you are located here in Pennsylvania, I can give you some idea as to what attachments are bringing in our area, so hopefully it will help you in determining a budget for spending. I will base this list on attachments being in decent, usable shape. Not restored pieces, but yet not all rusted up either. Pieces that could be attached and used without any work or parts needed:

38 Mower Deck = $50.00 - $75.00

30 Rototiller = $100.00 - $150.00

36 Snowthrower = $75.00 - $125.00

42 Blade = $100.00 - $150.00

80 Dump Cart = $250.00 - $350.00

Brinly Plow = $75.00 - $150.00

Brinly Cultivator = $50.00 - $100.00

Rear Wheel Weights = $100.00 - $175.00 (1 set)

Not sure what else you'd be looking at, but from following your introduction, I believe I covered everything that you might be possibly looking at to buy. All of the attachments that I have listed above are pretty much easily found, and for the most part, John Deere still carries some replacement parts for the attachments if needed. Some though, the belts are no longer available new, so you'll have to search for replacement belts from other manufactures. 

Hope this helps, and good luck on your search and quest!

• KennyP, Coventry Plumber and Bleeding Green have said thanks

#12 Bleeding Green OFFLINE  

Bleeding Green
  • 53 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 03:04 PM

WOW!! I thought I'd be able to buy attachments for less than $100 dollars each. Just for the bottom line numbers, that's $800 dollars just for attachments and I didn't even buy a tractor yet. Boy will my husband Mark be shocked. But then again, Valentines Day is just around the corner! Hee Hee

Thanks for the list and guestimates. It really puts things more into prospective. I guess I better start saving if I want to do this full force.

• johndeereelfman and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#13 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 04:12 PM

Rachel, johndeereelfman (Troy) will not steer you wrong. Good luck in your quest!

• johndeereelfman, Coventry Plumber and Bleeding Green have said thanks

#14 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 04:19 PM

the JD round fenders were make from 1963 to 1967 - less than 100,000 were made

the 1963 model had a 3 speed transaxle.  around 1000 were made

the 4 speed transaxles from 1965 thru 1987 - there are about the same and should interchange

the single fenders 110/112s make from 1968 to 1974 - over 230,000 were made

all 200 series are single fender from 1975 to 1987 - less 450,000 were made

the attachment for the 110/112 round fenders mount differently than the single fender models.

the attachments for the single fenders mount about the same  

• johndeereelfman and Bleeding Green have said thanks

#15 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 05:12 PM

A couple points of clarification for the conversation:

- The attachments for the RF 110/112 will not work on the later square fender110/112/200 series without adapters which are hard to find
- The attachments for the later square fender 110/112/200 series machines will NOT work on the 120/140/300 series machines

- In this part of the country the attachments for the later 110/112/200 series seem to be the cheapest and easiest to find

If you are looking for a cart, later models like the 7 and 10 tend to be more reasonably priced than the 80 the Troy mentioned in his great post.  I picked up a nice worker quality 10 for $100 and a like new 7 for $120.  

Edited by Trav1s, February 08, 2015 - 05:13 PM.

• lyall, johndeereelfman and Bleeding Green have said thanks