7 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 10:45 AM

Started to move some snow away from the buildings yesterday.  Got to warm and the chains on the big tractor started to tear the ground up to much.  Not froze good under the snow.  Thought I would wait till this morning and use the 1053 with the thrower to get it moved.  It didn't get as cold as I hope last night.  30° this morning at 7am.  I got the job done but that snow as real wet and heavy.  Would not throw far at all and kept running out of power.  Plugged the chute opening several times, usually when I started into a new run and had real light snow.  I set the shoes to run flat about an inch below the leading edge of the thrower but still had problems running up over the snow.  Had to hold the thrower down a lot of the time.  Had to unplug it again so took a couple quick shots while it was sitting there.  The snow was about 20" deep next to the building and tapered out to about 6" near the ditch where I want it. When snow is wet that is a heck of a load to try and move so not complaining about the loss of power.  It worked great in the dry snow in the drive when it was 10°.

1053 - thrower.JPG      1053 & Thrower.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, farmerall and 3 others have said thanks

#2 HJR OFFLINE  

HJR
  • Member No: 66194
  • 41 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 10:50 AM

Started to move some snow away from the buildings yesterday.  Got to warm and the chains on the big tractor started to tear the ground up to much.  Not froze good under the snow.  Thought I would wait till this morning and use the 1053 with the thrower to get it moved.  It didn't get as cold as I hope last night.  30° this morning at 7am.  I got the job done but that snow as real wet and heavy.  Would not throw far at all and kept running out of power.  Plugged the chute opening several times, usually when I started into a new run and had real light snow.  I set the shoes to run flat about an inch below the leading edge of the thrower but still had problems running up over the snow.  Had to hold the thrower down a lot of the time.  Had to unplug it again so took a couple quick shots while it was sitting there.  The snow was about 20" deep next to the building and tapered out to about 6" near the ditch where I want it. When snow is wet that is a heck of a load to try and move so not complaining about the loss of power.  It worked great in the dry snow in the drive when it was 10°.

attachicon.gif1053 - thrower.JPG     attachicon.gif1053 & Thrower.JPG

You know, I've never heard that said before.

• oliver2655 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 oliver2655 OFFLINE  

oliver2655
  • Member No: 26808
  • 37 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 12:23 PM

thats 1 thing ive learned about those snowblowers for the tube frame tractors. they do not like wet snow. really any single stage blower will not handle wet snow very well. the only 1 we have that doesnt clogg up in it is the one on our case 224.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 09:24 PM

Really, I was hoping for at least a 25° but 20° would be better.  This is the heart of cow calf country.  When it freezes up good at night it is a lot easier to get around for chores and easier on the cattle too.  I was hoping for colder to dry the snow out more.  Didn't happen so I had the unplug thing to put up with.

• HJR said thank you

#5 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 06:50 AM

I've been applying a liberal coat of liquid silicone to all my snow moving equipment.
Been very cold around here. So no wet stuff to test yet.
But, it seems to really help!

Joe
  • chieffan said thank you

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 08:48 AM

I've been applying a liberal coat of liquid silicone to all my snow moving equipment.
Been very cold around here. So no wet stuff to test yet.
But, it seems to really help!

Joe

Your right Joe, it sure does help.  That one was waxed after I painted it.  Then  a shot of silicone later when it was warmed up.  It blew a bunch of snow before I did that last little job and I didn't do anything to it.  Probably my fault it did plug so often.

Edited by chieffan, February 08, 2015 - 09:12 AM.

• Rock farmer said thank you

#7 HJR OFFLINE  

HJR
  • Member No: 66194
  • 41 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 09:53 AM

Really, I was hoping for at least a 25° but 20° would be better.  This is the heart of cow calf country.  When it freezes up good at night it is a lot easier to get around for chores and easier on the cattle too.  I was hoping for colder to dry the snow out more.  Didn't happen so I had the unplug thing to put up with.

Ah, that makes sense; hadn't thought about that. :thumbs:

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 10:44 AM

My plugging problem was not in the chute area it was right at the throat of the chute.  Right where the snow leaves the paddles and into the chute.  The fitting for chute rotation is right in that area.  Not sure there is much one can do about that in real wet snow.  this stuff was just right for making snowballs and a snowman.  Once a small amount stuck in the opening it just got bigger real fast.  Oh well.  Today is another day.  Back to working on tires and chains. :thumbs: