• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 rustywrench OFFLINE  

rustywrench
  • Member No: 67228
  • 19 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 09:47 PM

Hello all, I've been poking around here most of the day trying to learn about my latest acquisition. Have asked some questions and have received prompt answers to them. What a great forum! Another noob question that I have not been able to find any answers on my own. Here goes: The Ford 120 I bought a day ago has a clobbered up handle on the deck lift, no quadrant. Definitely not OEM. I found a pump and a cylinder in the home made tool box mounted to the back of the tractor. Pump has a handle on it for up/ down as well as a pulley. Engine has a pulley on it outside of the flywheel screen. Upon closer inspection, it appears the brackets are still mounted aft of the engine to mount the pump. I haven't found anything on here regarding a hydraulic deck lift on a 120. Any pics or other info would be greatly appreciated! I can get some pics in the morning if that would help. TIA

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,521 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 11:42 PM

Have you checked the Manuals Section? Many of the GTs had an add on hydraulic lift option. Good Luck, Rick

• rustywrench said thank you

#3 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 12:09 AM

I don't know what you have my experience lies in the 73 to 77 years, but, my 100 is gear drive, and has no provisions for any hydro setup at all. AFAIK the late open side and closed side Jacobsen/Fords only had hydros in the 14, 16, and 19.5 hp sizes. The 100 and 120 were gear drive only,. with no provisions for hydraulics

can you show me better pictures of your transmission.

Edited by Chopperhed, February 06, 2015 - 12:16 AM.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 05:16 AM

I hope that lift works! That will be a nice addition for the old Ford!

#5 rustywrench OFFLINE  

rustywrench
  • 19 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 08:56 AM

I will get some pics and try to figure out how to post them.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 09:35 AM

I will get some pics and try to figure out how to post them.

Check out the link at the bottom of my posts. It's to a great video to show how to upload pics!

#7 rustywrench OFFLINE  

rustywrench
  • 19 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 09:49 AM

I believe I found what I have in one of KennyP's manuals.  "Ford Attachments". Was in the misc. brochure section. Appears to be a hydraulic lift kit. I cant read the part number, PDF has been copied too many times. It was the last attachment shown in that brochure, so Id bet its kind of a rare attachment. I will still get some pics and post them. I'm sure that since a previous owner removed it that there was a problem with it but I am going to do my best to get it working again. Would make it way easier to convince the wife that this was her "new" mower if she doesn't have to manually lift the deck! LOL

Edited by rustywrench, February 06, 2015 - 09:53 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 10:05 AM

Cool find there! It would be nice to find a better copy of that brochure.

#9 rustywrench OFFLINE  

rustywrench
  • 19 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 10:22 AM

Found some more info on it! I'm loving this forum! Looked at the Implement manual section, went to '68 Jake Chief Attachment manual. Shows hydraulic lift attachment #59663. Also found that I have the headlight accessory Jake #59678 and the cigarette lighter #59630. Do Ford part numbers correspond with the Jacobson numbers?

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 10:24 AM

I'm not sure. I'd have to look through several manuals to see.

#11 rustywrench OFFLINE  

rustywrench
  • 19 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 10:33 AM

I seriously doubt I could ever find any original parts for it. However it cant be that complex of a system. Id bet with a little ingenuity and the help of a good hydraulics shop, It can be resurrected. I've  been cobbling junk for years........cant be that difficult. Pump still turns, cylinder can be extended and retracted manually and the control valve handle still moves. Just have to tear it down and see if I can determine what the problem was. I will still get some pics on here today.

#12 rustywrench OFFLINE  

rustywrench
  • 19 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 12:21 PM

Ok, finally got some pics of the hydraulic lift set up. However found some bad news with it. I took the
pump apart enough to find it has a broken gear in it. Hopefully I can figure out a way to get parts.
Here are the pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150206_100711.jpg
  • 20150206_100725.jpg
  • 20150206_100742.jpg
  • 20150206_100803.jpg
  • 20150206_100815.jpg

#13 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 01:20 PM

Usually those are on the 140's, what is your engine model#? 

Does the pump fit on the brackets behind the engine?  that is where it goes on a 140.  Then see if the pulleys line up.  Are there any mounts for the cylinder?

I'd see if everything fits before trying to buy parts. 

Those setups are pretty rare, i've only seen them on complete tractors.

joe's outdoor power on this site usually has angle ford parts

http://gardentractor...-outdoor-power/

If you're lucky it was all on there and working once, then quit b/c the gear broke, then someone tried making a manual handle, then gave up. 

I'd try to make sure it all fits the tractor, if all else fails you could bolt on a quadrant until you get it working, good luck

#14 rustywrench OFFLINE  

rustywrench
  • 19 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 01:44 PM

After doing some "googling" I found that these pumps were used on several different brands of GT's. Bolens, Gravely, and Possibly Cub Cadet. I think I may have found a complete used pump. There was some extra linkage included with the tractor that I think are the extra pieces I need. Would rather find the parts and repair my pump but may just but the other pump and go that way. Any idea where I might come up with quadrant if I can't make all this work? Engine is a K301 D058240. Pump does fit the brackets behind the engine and the pulleys do line up. Im sure it was on there and functional at one point in this ol' boys life. I am currently working on getting things like wiring tidied up, Complete service etc. done before I go much further with the lift. I'm still amazed at how well
the engine runs.......took a file to the points (been a while since I'd had the points file out LOL), charged the battery and it fired. Gotta get an inline fuel filter on it before I run it much more. But the little bit I've had it running, the electric deck clutch works, the hydro seems to work. No bad bearings on the deck or mower drive. Think I scored for 175 bucks even if the inside of the gas tank is a bit rusty!

Edited by rustywrench, February 06, 2015 - 02:24 PM.

• Oldford said thank you

#15 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 07:42 AM

I'd get the inside of the tank clean and soak some wd-40 in it while fixing the other stuff.  Grease the deck bearings, check the hydro fluid, you're smart to add a fuel filter.  Marvel mystery oil & marine stabil in the gas helps too

I'd ask joesoutdoorpower on this site about a quadrant or check ebay, any of the old Ford 100/120/140 or jacobsen chief should work, good luck