17 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 06:43 PM

Well 1 and a 1/2 of one anyway. I got these a few days ago. The complete one is a 64,the parts tractor is a 63. I haven't looked them over very well yet because I have been busy and it has been cold. I did break the recoil rope trying to start the complete one. It fired a few times before I broke the rope. I grabbed rope in town yesterday and put it on today,then promtedly broke the new rope ! It was the biggest gauge the shop had but still slightly smaller then original. At that point I left it for today. It's in the teens and my salamander don't want to run today. They did come with a good deck and I have a early style 3 point except for the lower flat bar that the lower round bar goes thru for the 3 point arms to mount on. I also got the hood and grill with the 63.

Attached Thumbnails

• DB 725 Suburban's 63-64.jpg 2.jpg
  • DB 725 Suburban's 63-64.jpg 3.jpg
  • DB 725 Suburban's 63-64.jpg 4.jpg
  • DB 725 Suburban's 63-64.jpg 5.jpg

Edited by rustyoldjunk, February 05, 2015 - 06:43 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, Lauber1 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 08:10 PM

the first thing I would do is take all the belts off. The second thing would be to do the time honor thing called chain smoking the engine. You simply take another running tractor nose to nose, put on a belt with a twist in it, and use the runner as the starter for the non runner. Saves a lot of the back, as the model 19's pull hard some times. Keep working with the non-runner and pretty soon it will see it your way. After you get it to run and idle good, you can go back to the rope pulling.

• rustyoldjunk and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#3 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 09:05 PM

Thanks Jeff. It fires pretty easy off the recoil but if it gets cantankerous I will hook a Wheel Horse up to it. I think at most,to run,I may have to pull the carb apart and clean it. I will say this one pulls harder than the model 19 on my Simplicity 700. It is usually running in 1 pull warm to 4 pulls very cold out ( I need to get the starter generator rebuilt on it but it starts so easy...). I think this one will start as good with a little maintenance. I think it has been about a year since it was running. It looks like I will have to use the belt guard and front lower pulley setup off the 63. It is suppose to warm up the next few days and if I can get a few hours with it,I hope to have it going well enough to give it a test ride/drive or at least try. I have everything soaking in penetrating oil,although everything appears to be free on it. Where did the throttle and choke cables originally go on the hood / dash ?

Edited by rustyoldjunk, February 05, 2015 - 09:11 PM.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#4 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 09:32 PM

They are cool and an unusual looking GT
  • rustyoldjunk said thank you

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 09:34 PM

throttles are always found on the steering column of a Suburban, the cable ran down and under the engine, then up to the carb from the bottom.  chokes cables could be from none, to on the face of the dash. By none I mean that you had to reach around to the carb and move the lever by hand. There should/could have been a kil switch on the dash also. Don't know the model number you are working on, but if it had a recoil on it like that one, the electric starter would have been an option. All Suburbans either came with a recoil or electric start. If electric, there would be either a notched belt pulley or a small rope cup outside the pulley.  No suburban would have came out with just a rope cup. Even my 619, which used the Wisconsin, had a recoil starter.

Also the belts for the correct setup are 5/8 x 71 or 73, and the other one is a 5/8 x 29. There are spacers under the engine that make the belts work right, have to have them to use the original sized belts, I also have an extra belt guard for a 63 and down model 725. The 64 is almost the same just more enclosed over the reverser pully.

#6 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 11:21 PM

The choke cable runs under the hood and ends in a push pull on the dash/hood. The throttle looks right then coming up thru the slot next to the steering wheel.

Attached Thumbnails

• DB 725 Suburban's 63-64.jpg 7.jpg
  • DB 725 Suburban's 63-64.jpg 8.jpg

#7 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,948 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 08:22 AM

That's a good looking 64, mine is about the same condition.

What are plans for the 63?

Jeff, do you know anywhere to get new recoils or parts for fix one? mine doesn't want to pull rope back which causes it to still want to grab inner cup while it's running, such a bear to fight with. I've torn it apart, cleaned it, put a couple extra winds on spring, still nothing.

• rustyoldjunk and Lauber1 have said thanks

#8 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 10:30 AM

Thanks TAHOE. I'm not sure on the '63 yet.I am working on getting another DB Suburban home but I really don't want to turn the '63 into a parts machine,other than engine its pretty complete.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#9 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 11:02 AM

Mine pulls so hard the front wheel come off the ground every time you start it.

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 05:58 PM

That's a good looking 64, mine is about the same condition.

What are plans for the 63?

Jeff, do you know anywhere to get new recoils or parts for fix one? mine doesn't want to pull rope back which causes it to still want to grab inner cup while it's running, such a bear to fight with. I've torn it apart, cleaned it, put a couple extra winds on spring, still nothing.

parts for these tractors are now mostly where you find them. I don't know of any places that sell recoil items. not sure if one could rebuild it with parts from a more modern 5 hp, but I do know that the blower house and recoil from a newer 5hp will bolt right on and work fine, just don't look the same. Also the old engine used a 2 ball clutch and you should replace them with the newer 6 ball one so it pulls more even. This info is for the 5.75 engines, not sure what it would take to convert parts of the model 19 for sure. You would just have to try parts and see how they work, or go deep into a briggs part list and see what similar, just newer.

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 05:59 PM

Thanks TAHOE. I'm not sure on the '63 yet.I am working on getting another DB Suburban home but I really don't want to turn the '63 into a parts machine,other than engine its pretty complete.

so what model is the 3rd tractor, and how much of it is there?

#12 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 07:57 PM

I don't know the answer to either question yet Jeff. A member on that "other" forum offered it if anyone wanted it. I was first to raise my hand I guess. It is very rough he says and I don't think he knows what model it is. I am still waiting on pictures. I am working on getting it home.

• MH81 and Lauber1 have said thanks

#13 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 08:06 PM

I had the complete 725 running a short while ago. I ended up taking the recoil apart. The spring was out of wack. I put it back together and it pulled a lot better this evening ( of course it helped that I moved the speed control lever all the way back this time as I should have yesterday). It started up with a few gentle pulls ( after I blew a little low pressure air thru the carburetor). It smoked some but that might clear up with a little run time.I ran it about 10 minutes or so. A few things that I noticed is the gas tank is leaking and has already been patched,a fairly serious oil leak,maybe from the head gasket,I will look better tomorrow,I will have to pull the carb off and give it a cleaning,and it will need a throttle cable,maybe a choke cable too. I think I have a correct style tank on the shelf and I have cables. I will try to check it out a little more tomorrow

• MH81 and Lauber1 have said thanks

#14 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 09:28 PM

well I could probably tell what it was by looking it, but I cant wait until we decide who going after it. If I had the 634 running id be up all nite finishing it up and maybe throw a blade on the front. They get better with use, and always remember to put the varispeed in the lowest spot to make it start better.

#15 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 09:55 PM

I am itching to get it home myself. I will be glad when the details of getting it moved are worked out. I am looking at two different routes right now with what you and I discussed being one of them. I am guessing it is a 59-61 model from talking with him but I will have to wait and see.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, February 06, 2015 - 09:57 PM.