• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • Member No: 14091
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 08:08 PM

I recently picked up a 65 Suburban 8, Im having a hard time getting it in gear. I adjust the shift plate according to the manual but its a bear to get into reverse since this is my first DB sears any advice on the adjusting the shifter,clutch,speed control would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 09:04 PM

Just from what i was told you have to have the correct pulley size on the engine and correct belt sizes to start with then its fine tuning
Other than that i am probably in the same boat as i am just starting to do a complete restore on a 1960 david bradley
  • Brando said thank you

#3 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 06:56 PM

That makes sense I do know my belt from engine to variable pulley is a little big, ill have to find it first and go from there. I appreciate the info, I haven't found a whole lot of info on them on the web as for repairs and what not. 

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 05, 2015 - 07:50 PM

there is a manual for the older tractor in the manuals section here on this site. You can use it for most things on your tractor, the age doesn't make a huge difference. The clutch is very hard to get right on these, and mostly works by trial and error. Just make small adjustments and follow the manuals lead on the reverser parts.

• Brando said thank you

#5 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 10:57 AM

The reverser is very tricky, while it is running, watch how it is working, I have been having a problem with the arm pulling down and hitting the pulley, instead of the arm flexing in the middle and hitting the belt first. I have to take a finger and push it in. See if that is your problem.

• Lauber1 and Brando have said thanks

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 06:02 PM

sometimes the clutch and reversers don't work right because the PO put parts into it that don't belong there. The reverser cable also like to drag of the little guide wheel under the tractor, make sure its free turning.

• Brando said thank you

#7 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for the help everyone, I spent the better part of this afternoon messing with it. first I got my variator pulley freed up and spinning nicely, got the right size belt from the engine to variator. Time to start it and see what happens (manual start that is cantankerous) and  while pulling it over it finally started and the clutch grabbed and away she went  across the garage lol I managed to get it stopped before it hit my 68 super 12. After that fiasco I backed the clutch of two holes and readjust everything according to the manual and it moves! the variator worked, and it even went into reverse somewhat. The cable was a little slack so I had to push the bracket down by hand but it went backwards  after a spin around the yard I brought it back to adjust the cable. I got it adjusted and the tractor wouldn't start and 10 minutes of fighting with trying to  get it started I decided I was happy with I got done for the day and put back in its spot. I believe I made up a few words today too. next on the list is a carb rebuild hopefully make this thing start easier before I start doing anymore drivetrain adjustments.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 08:04 PM

when dealing with a hand clutched or basically any DB tractor, is wise to jack the rear wheels off the floor, to prevent a run away. The tractors both two and four wheel are prone to clutch sticking after siting for a while, and since there is no shiftable tranny with a neutral, safety first is a big concern. I always practice the habit of removing the belts from these units until I know engine is working properly. The largest problem guys forget about is the fact that the DB Suburban don't have any free wheeling mode and they are a butt to move when not under power.   

• WHdbJD said thank you

#9 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 09:24 AM

This my first one so its all a learning process with these, this has been the only place ive been able to get decent information on them seeing how nobody I know locally has any. it came with the original manuals so I was pretty much relying on the manual to try and figure it out which says to put the shift lever in the neutral position, I spun the big pulley by hand and it was disengaged but as soon as it started boy it grabbed and took off. I definitely appreciate all the tips on dealing with these tractors. ive got it on a dolly to roll it around the garage. and referring back a post above I have already had to fix a bunch of cobble from the PO.

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 10:58 AM

ok I think we need to be getting a picture or two up here so we can see what your playing around with.

#11 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 04:33 PM

Here she is my Suburban 8.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150202_172929702.jpg
  • IMG_20150202_172913984.jpg
  • IMG_20150202_172852623.jpg
  • IMG_20150202_172845141.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#12 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 09:27 PM

Isnt that the point of the clutch lock part on the belt guard to have it in a safe/neutral spot to start the engine? Wish there was more info on these. I havent seen to many of the david bradleys out here but i did get dimesions thankfully to fab all my missing parts. I was able to make a really nice belt guard last week. Once my project gets going i will start a page. Until then keep asking questions you are helping me too!

Edited by jabelman, February 08, 2015 - 09:29 PM.

#13 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 11:03 PM

well yes the part on the belt guard is supposed to be there to keep it in a neutral place, but with all things it don't always work well. Other times due to adjustments being made you have to remove the guard, and thus you remove the part that keeps it in neutral. I think the government would have shut down this unsafe system sooner or later. DB on a whole is very prone to clutch lockup when starting, always be on the look out for it even with all the parts in the right places.

• MH81, KennyP and MGP59DB have said thanks

#14 Brndnbla OFFLINE  

Brndnbla
  • Member No: 70700
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 04:24 PM

Hey Brandon, that's the DB I bought from you! She's all adjusted out now, with a 3 point added, and runs and shifts great. I rebuilt the recoil starter and carb. Now to get her painted!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: david bradley