• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 12:41 AM

The Flexible parts of the Jacobsen/Ford driveshaft are nothing more than Reinforced Neoprene Sheet material. It can be purchased, cut and drilled to replace any of the flexible bits. If Necessary it can be doubled up for more strength.

If you find the right supplier you can even select the reinforcing material.

I used to get it as scrap bits from a local oilfield gasket shop. The material is also similar to swather canvas, and similar materials.\

If a complete replacement is required due to hard parts damage, Lovejoy couplings could be used, and while not original, would work fine.

#32 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 04:53 AM

Mine are the rubber type!

#33 Beast Jacobson OFFLINE  

Beast Jacobson
  • Member No: 66775
  • 12 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 07:56 AM

I didn't think they were rubber. I may of found a parts tractor, but i,ll have to wait for spring because it's buried in snow.

#34 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 08:09 AM

Maybe mine has been replaced?

#35 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 09:55 PM

The ones on my tractors are rubber like look to be original. The reason I say rubber like is because they look to be made just like the rubber belting that is used on conveyer belts. In fact I think if replacements were needed that they could be cut out of a piece of rubber conveyer belt.

Charlie

#36 txdieseldog OFFLINE  

txdieseldog
  • Member No: 65961
  • 56 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 10:05 AM

Hey beast, I noticed that you are still buried in snow. Had a question on that stub shaft. It's only a few more week before I head to Cinnci. Did you need the stub shaft and the flex plate that mounts to it? I can't tell from the pics if it is salvageable or totaled. My problem is I'm having trouble finding that part on my end. My re-power is a Briggs and it is a 1" shaft. The one for your K motor is larger. (Don't remember if it's 1-1/8" or 1-1/4") But I can find a sleeve to step it down if yours is good. Let me know.

Barry

#37 txdieseldog OFFLINE  

txdieseldog
  • Member No: 65961
  • 56 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted February 18, 2015 - 01:56 PM

PM sent

#38 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 12:32 PM

Would a driveshaft with u joints - like a car or the Deere 318 design be better? Especially since the engine is out of line? It would give more leeway in being off-center or out of plane. I know there is some adjustment in the rag joint (the Ford original), but not as much.

I have a kohler 18hp v twin to go into my LGT165 eventually, and had given some thought to the installation, not to hijack the original thread, but that was one of the changes I was considering. Not having to have everything on angle and in-plane makes the install easier..

Converting a gt driveshaft from a Deere 316/317/318/etc would be an option, or getting the components from a driveline place and making your own from scratch.

#39 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 02:04 PM

I think the best way would be to put the engine on rubber isolators then a drive shaft with two u joints that's what I did on my 318 repower this time around and it doesn't vibrate like it use to